Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
pichlo's Avatar
Community Council | Posts: 4,743 | Thanked: 14,034 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#71
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
But I almost wonder whether they're trying to do too much in one step.
...
Is that too much for Joe Public to take in all in one go?
But isn't that what Apple did with the iPhone? Integrated existing ideas and technology into one piece and Joe Public swallowed it including the hook and demanded more.

If I have a similar concern about what Solu is trying to do, it is not about Joe Public's acceptance. It is more about the Solu's ability to deliver it in an attractive form. This is not about doubting Solu in particular, it is about the sheer magnitude of the endeavour and the resources required.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 910 times | Joined on Jul 2014
#72
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-of-computing

5 days to go and they've just squeezed past the marker, not exactly a runaway success but will be interesting to see once these things get out into the market.
__________________
SirenSong v0.5
Like my work? buy me a beer
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 910 times | Joined on Jul 2014
#73
Better late than never, the first 'early backer' editions of the Solu Computer have been shipped

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1760165

Also interestingly an Android app of the 'Solu Experience' has been created which will be open to the public.

Hopefully we will see some reviews soon, and see what people think of the delivered device
__________________
SirenSong v0.5
Like my work? buy me a beer
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
gerbick's Avatar
Posts: 6,425 | Thanked: 13,845 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ undecided.
#74
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Better late than never, the first 'early backer' editions of the Solu Computer have been shipped

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1760165

Also interestingly an Android app of the 'Solu Experience' has been created which will be open to the public.

Hopefully we will see some reviews soon, and see what people think of the delivered device
I was just thinking about this last night. This is good news indeed; now can't wait until the reviews. Any backers here?
__________________
gerbick | iPhone 7 [ 128GB iOS 10.3 Beta ] | iPad Pro [ 128GB iOS 10.3 Beta ]
Former Maemo Council Member - 2015
 

The Following User Says Thank You to gerbick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 623 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
#75
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I was just thinking about this last night. This is good news indeed; now can't wait until the reviews. Any backers here?
Yes, I am one of the finnish idiots that puts money to anything fintech (finnish originated tech). Seems I were not one of the early birds because no Solu for me yet. I did back them up through the original campaign though.

The product seems nice and potential, but I find it really hard to believe in this subscription based revenue model. Feel that it will be deal breaker for many. Well, at least they would be making money immediatly from the beginning. Jolla, did U hear that?
__________________
- Only God knows how MUCH I hate my Lumia work phone. And not even God knows why and how Micro$oft made something as terrible as Windows Phone OS

- Sailing happily with Jolla, Having fun with N9, Madly frustrated with Lumia and feeling bad for N900 that is so seldom turned on.

- "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 910 times | Joined on Jul 2014
#76
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
The product seems nice and potential, but I find it really hard to believe in this subscription based revenue model. Feel that it will be deal breaker for many. Well, at least they would be making money immediatly from the beginning. Jolla, did U hear that?
I'm hopeful the subscription idea can succeed, the key to it is regular content updates. People pay a subscription for Netfix and Spotify, so why not apps and games?

For developers the focus switches from bringing in new users, to that of retaining users through quality software. Or on the games side, simply having people play the game is enough without having to resort to shady tactics like the current free-to-play games are.

Is solu the right platform to pull this off? im not sure, we know how hard it is to entice developers to a new platform as it is.
__________________
SirenSong v0.5
Like my work? buy me a beer
 

The Following User Says Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
solu ux

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:29.