Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,607 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
#11
Yes, the elusive sofabook... although that does not necessarily mean pocketable (7" is a good sofabook size, too). But if you DO want to make it pocketable, that's a ~4-5" depending on bezel right there.
 
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,607 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
#12
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Archos revenue was ~ $180M dollar last year, Nokia's ~ $70B. For all we know Nokia could have sold more NIT's than all of Archos' line put together with one device with a 4.1" screen.
Maybe it's just my market ignorrance, but that sure sounded like 'Nokia could double sales if they had all those sizes' and not 'different sizes makes no sense' The point is that Archos *does* use screen size as a product differentiator (to the level that screen size goes into the product name) and it seems to work for them on the market they're targeting (which is not the same as the N8x0).
 
Benson's Avatar
Posts: 4,930 | Thanked: 2,271 times | Joined on Oct 2007
#13
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes, as long as battery capacity of smartphones is as poor as today, there's no benefit from cramming all functionality into one device. Yesterday my G1 phone died during the day because some 3rd party app behaved badly and drained battery while running in the background.
Devil's advocate: By eliminating the redundancies of the 2-device model, you can combine basically everything but one battery in one device. Replace the other one with a battery pack or spare batteries for the all-in-one, and suddenly you have more total stored energy, less total power consumption, and don't risk losing half your functionality while you've got plenty of juice for the other half -- you should be better off.

Realistically: swapping out spare batteries almost invariably requires a shutdown, and charging from a USB pack is too slow, and can be awkward to leave connected while device and battery pack are in pockets/holsters. But if you can get around those, the total-energy advantage is significant.
 
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
#14
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Maybe it's just my market ignorrance, but that sure sounded like 'Nokia could double sales if they had all those sizes' and not 'different sizes makes no sense' The point is that Archos *does* use screen size as a product differentiator (to the level that screen size goes into the product name) and it seems to work for them on the market they're targeting (which is not the same as the N8x0).
Yes, naturally for video consumption (which is a very key use case for Archos), the capacity to sell size size variants is attractive for them. We have a couple Archos units here for testing purposes, they're... Well, at least they've certainly got big screens.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,607 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
#15
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Realistically: swapping out spare batteries almost invariably requires a shutdown,
This is a design choice, not a technical necessity. Space considerations of course mean that you leave out everything you can, but in the times battery swapping was more common, most devices had small coin batteries to keep a suspended system alive (actually, the N810 is my first device that doesn't have this feature). I guess usage patterns just showed most people don't swap batteries all that often so the space-requirement comes out as a bigger issue than the occasional reboot.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Benson's Avatar
Posts: 4,930 | Thanked: 2,271 times | Joined on Oct 2007
#16
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
This is a design choice, not a technical necessity. Space considerations of course mean that you leave out everything you can, but in the times battery swapping was more common, most devices had small coin batteries to keep a suspended system alive (actually, the N810 is my first device that doesn't have this feature). I guess usage patterns just showed most people don't swap batteries all that often so the space-requirement comes out as a bigger issue than the occasional reboot.
Coin-cells, or a better implementation, IMHO, capacitors (so you never had to mess with changing the backup battery). I'd kill for either of these on my tablets, and have even considered some hacking to add it... But the current situation being what it is, there's just no way Nokia's going to give us that revolutionary old feature. I suspect this shift is partly linked to the switch from off-the-shelf AA/AAA cells common in many older devices to the ubiquitous Li-ion-polymer cells.

All cellphones are designed with the dual assumption that battery replenishment is by charging, never changing, and that state is trivial (so rebooting is no problem). The latter is revealed in the awkward compromises of putting SIM slots, microSD slots, and even data cable contacts behind the battery. Together, these make adding a backup power system doubly pointless, and even though Maemo devices to date seem to have ducked the second, the first seems firmly in place.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
RogerS's Avatar
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
#17
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
[A] phone is (generally) too small to be very useful when browsing the news while lying on the sofa. 4-5" can be the best of both worlds.
Yes, but ...

The NIT as predicated has the same screen as that cellphone.

Me, I agree with you. I'm not making any of those decisions, however.
__________________
N900 Guide Brief intro to the Nokia N900 (http://n900guide.com/)
Maemoan since July 2005 )
 
casper27's Avatar
Posts: 839 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
#18
According to this old report over 300,000 upto and including the n800 which really supprised me.
Tablet Sales
 
daperl's Avatar
Posts: 2,426 | Thanked: 2,984 times | Joined on Dec 2007
#19
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes, as long as battery capacity of smartphones is as poor as today, there's no benefit from cramming all functionality into one device. Yesterday my G1 phone died during the day because some 3rd party app behaved badly and drained battery while running in the background.
I think Apple did the right thing when disallowing multitasking for 3rd party apps. Although not having multitasking sucks.
Yes, but they have multithreading and shared libraries. That leaves room for interesting things. The key is not to call other apps. There are even shared data sources, so I think there's plenty of programming games that can be played. I'm an iPhone development newbie but I'm optimistic about the possibilities. What sucks is the current cut-and-paste issue.
__________________
N9: Go white or go home
 
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,169 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
#20
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Yes, but ...

The NIT as predicated has the same screen as that cellphone.

Me, I agree with you. I'm not making any of those decisions, however.
And, Roger, I agree too, except ...

that rumored NIT ain't a NIT, it's a maemo cellphone.
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19.