Active Topics

 



Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
#1
After 3 years, I wiped out my old installation and went thru from scratch to see what is the difference between 770 and N900, today, I found out 2008He is ROCK stable on MMC boot, crashed occasionally on internal flash, likely 2nd to low memory.

Installation

1) 2008He on Internal flash
dl http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/ SU-18_2008HACKER_4.2007.50-6_PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin and flash with Nokia Software wizard

2) add the 48 MHz speed booster http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=22155

3) remake bootmenu http://www.forums.internettablettalk...howthread.php? t=22771

4) clone to mmc boot http://forums.internettablettalk.com...ead.php?t=8631 1st post and thread #292

5) manually install tear http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=741699

6) To display Chinese: dl fireflysung.ttf from here, at root,
fc-cache --f
reboot


The most difficult part is to figure out which repository is for what software, especially with bora/chinook/diablo/fremantle and more, mistral/gregale,

Some observations in using 2008He on the int flash of 770.

1) Try NOT to issue too many commands too fast, this will avoid crash and reboots, especially initial boot up, wait a couple of minutes will do. The crashes is mainly due to short of memory. 2008He runs much more smooth on mmc boot.

2) re check connections will always connect, plug in power cord always help to connect.

Pros: it works, and is almost a full fledge laptop
cons: audio with headphone, no skype

770 repositories

maemo extras
http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
chinook
free non-free

e2fsprogs
http://repository.maemo.org/
gregale
free non-free

extras-devel chinook
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
chinook
free non-free

extras-devel diablo
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
diablo
free non-free

Some useful tools
rootsh
osso-xterm
emelfm2
diskUsage
wget
e2fsprogs

Any 770 users, uh ?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-07-08 at 02:33.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
#2
Just to answer the question, how UNSTABLE is 2008He, it was running on MMCboot, so, rootfs is about 600 mB with 300 mB free, and has been running everything like a laptop supposed to be, since this morning, a solid 6 hrs, not even 1 crash. Again, mmcboot for the 2008He is much more stable.

What did I do?

surf with tear
SSH to desktop
copy and delete files
install and uninstall progs
play some simple video games, you bet, on 770.

No music or video is certainly a minus. Hey, you got what you pay for, a 770 I think is about $40 in ebay. Sure a N800 beats 770 in any other way, for about $25 more, I guess.

It is still quite functional, other than the audio, it is better surfing than my N900 because of the 26.8% (9.3X5.8 vs 8.0 X 4.4) increase in screen estate, yike!

I think I heard a pic tells a thousand words, here is 4000 words, enjoy,

bun
Attached Images
    

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-07-07 at 01:09.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Aug 2007
#3
sweet looking keyboard. bluetooth I assume?
 
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
#4
Does this help with sound?

Frank
 
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jun 2006
#5
This method seems to require flashing OS2008HE to the N770 first? I would love to try it out but applications like Skype and Gizmo5 are no longer available for download. Hmm... how to back everything up and install OS2008HE with only one MMC...
 
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
#6
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
Does this help with sound?

Frank
Slightly louder, but very distort. I enjoy more with just a headphone.

Edit: the commands does nothing to the speaker, output remains the same, quality and magnitude. With headphone, the command increase tremendously on one channel, quality same. And Skype continues to give "Sound recording error" and crashes

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-07-08 at 02:40.
 
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
#7
Originally Posted by jcharpak View Post
sweet looking keyboard. bluetooth I assume?
Yes, a mini bluetooth keyboard, more pics here, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...721#post740721. I never would have imagine a small keyboard can add SO much fun to the N800. I love especially the Fn keys, zoom in/out, fullscreen, menu, it is like, uh, pinball machine, if you never play it before, you would NOT understand why people are so crazy about it. Only $25, but one month waiting , or pay more for airdrop?

bun
 
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
#8
Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
This method seems to require flashing OS2008HE to the N770 first? I would love to try it out but applications like Skype and Gizmo5 are no longer available for download. Hmm... how to back everything up and install OS2008HE with only one MMC...
Skype does NOT work in OS 2008He.

True, one has to flash to OS2008He to try. On the N8x0, I have reverse cloning, i.e., backup the whole OS to mmc and restore from mmc back to internal flash, http://forums.internettablettalk.com...784#post740784. I have NOT spent time on 770 for the same thing. I used the backup/restore. Then I flashed to OS 2008He. Then I do it very very very slowly, 1st waited for a solid 2 minutes, if it did not crash, it likely will not crash. And finished cloning to mmc and make bootmenu, then I booted up from mmc, it is ROCK stable and fast! Sure, not as stunning as a N900, but also, your investment is also $400 vs $40, 1/10 of an N900!

If you dont mind about the audio/skype/garnetVM, 2008He opens up a ton of software compares to 2007/2006.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-07-07 at 01:32.
 
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jun 2006
#9
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Skype does NOT work in OS 2008He.

True, one has to flash to OS2008He to try. On the N8x0, I have reverse cloning, i.e., backup the whole OS to mmc and restore from mmc back to internal flash, http://forums.internettablettalk.com...784#post740784. I have NOT spent time on 770 for the same thing. I used the backup/restore. Then I flashed to OS 2008He. Then I do it very very very slowly, 1st waited for a solid 2 minutes, if it did not crash, it likely will not crash. And finished cloning to mmc and make bootmenu, then I booted up from mmc, it is ROCK stable and fast! Sure, not as stunning as a N900, but also, your investment is also $400 vs $40, 1/10 of an N900!

If you dont mind about the audio/skype/garnetVM, 2008He opens up a ton of software compares to 2007/2006.

bun
Oh, I suspected that Skype doesn't work on the N770 with OS2008HE, mainly because of the reported audio problems. I have my N700 set up very nicely with Skype and Gizmo5 on OS2007HE. Recently Skype removed its Nxxx apps so I was worried that if I tried this install, I wouldn't be able to get Skype back. (Did anyone happen to save the install package?)

Would it be possible to:

1. Dump the entire install in the N770 to MMC
2. Copy the MMC to a computer hard drive
3. Install OS2008HE and copy it to the MMC
4. Copy the MMC to a computer hard drive
5. Copy OS2007HE install back to MMC
6. Restore OS2007HE to N770
7. Copy OS2008HE to MMC
8. Boot to OS2007HE without MMC
9. Boot to OS2008HE with MMC

?

Thanks!
 
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
#10
Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
Oh, I suspected that Skype doesn't work on the N770 with OS2008HE, mainly because of the reported audio problems. I have my N700 set up very nicely with Skype and Gizmo5 on OS2007HE. Recently Skype removed its Nxxx apps so I was worried that if I tried this install, I wouldn't be able to get Skype back. (Did anyone happen to save the install package?)

Would it be possible to:

1. Dump the entire install in the N770 to MMC
2. Copy the MMC to a computer hard drive
3. Install OS2008HE and copy it to the MMC
4. Copy the MMC to a computer hard drive
5. Copy OS2007HE install back to MMC
6. Restore OS2007HE to N770
7. Copy OS2008HE to MMC
8. Boot to OS2007HE without MMC
9. Boot to OS2008HE with MMC

?

Thanks!
Yes. I have done this with N8x0 many times. I have NOT tried with 770, I do not see any problem. I use Acronis, True image 11 home. It will duplicate any partition and write the whole image to another partition. You have to play with it a few time to be sure before you start your project. In fact, that is what I plan to do, I hate it when I installed some app that dont belong and mess up my perfect prepped 770. They sometimes advertaise for $30 with $25 rebate, but they never send anyone rebate. Anyhow, Acronis is a good piece of software for hackers.

And sure, you need some media reader, Acronis and media reader, you are ready to keep making backups of your 770.

I seldom use the int flash boot, as it is dinky 128 MB and also if it mess up, it messed up the bootmenu, and one has to start with installing, becomeroot, xterm, repositories of your tools.... you got the picture.

bun
 
Reply

Tags
2008he mmcboot

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:26.