Active Topics

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
USB OTG isn't powered, pin 5 is simply grounded which tells the software that it needs to be in host mode. jolouis manufactures these adaptors for the N800.
I have only used a home made reverse powered hub for my N800, and that's been awhile since I have gotten big SD cards. I was just questioning your statement that the OTG adapter will work when I hadn't seen anyone saying that they had plugged one in.

Epi

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by epilido View Post
I have only used a home made reverse powered hub for my N800, and that's been awhile since I have gotten big SD cards. I was just questioning your statement that the OTG adapter will work when I hadn't seen anyone saying that they had plugged one in.
The hardware is USB OTG, so there's no reason for it not to work.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I'm confused about the 3G data connectivity. First of all, the n900 doesn't have any frequency that is relevant to me in Canada, but does " Maximum speed PS 384/384 kbps (DL/UL) HSPA 900/1700/2100" seem really slow to anyone else? My E71 technically connects to Rogers' 7.2Mbps network and I typically get 1-2Mbps in speed tests. 384kbps is a big step backwards...
Oh spock it is relevant, Wind Mobile, which should be launching in October (crosses fingers) uses that band for 3g. Screw Rogers.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
I've heard mixed things about the digital compass, is there a definitive answer? I saw a video where a Nokia Rep says there is one, (although not in english)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Presumably yes (unless someone finally produces a realistic unionfs for Linux and makes it available as a module on Maemo).

But that isn't so bad, icons and desktop file in /usr/share and application code, images, translations in /opt/application.

This is all conjecture though, as Nokia haven't announced yet how they intend developers to use /opt (although it's being left a little late!)
Well, it's official now. For better or worse, it's 1GB of /opt ext3 to shove everything into.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Also found on ebay for the N810 (should also work with the N900 - micro USB). I grabbed one off of ebay about 8 months ago. Works fine with my Linksys USB ethernet adapter.
sorry for bringing this up yet again. I am still unsure what kind of usb micro adapter i would need that doesn't involve power injection. what about this one? Description says its a "Micro-A" plug. Yet it looks different than the plug of the n810 adapter you linked (which looks more like a micro-b plug).

qouth the wikipedia:
The device that has a micro-A plugged in [...] is a power supplier. [...] The default link configuration is that A-device act as USB Host and B-device is a USB Device.
excuse my stupidity. I can't make sense of this. n810 plugs look like micro-b, yet it would be logical to use micro-a.

Help please!

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Do we have any idea how long will the battery last just using it as a phone and letting it idle just on GSM?

And than on GSM / SIP over wifi ?

I'm guessing that playing heavily with it will kill it within 3-4h like the n810 but what about non-desktop-like usage...

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Will the N900 support an upgrade to Maemo 6?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
Will the N900 support an upgrade to Maemo 6?
That question has been asked multiple times.

The answer is that there's no official answer yet. It is too early for Nokia to commit to anything. However, expectations are that Maemo 6 devices will bring a smaller processing power jump than is occuring between OS2008 devices and Maemo 5 devices. Therefore, it appears probable that Maemo 6 will work on Maemo 5 devices.

If not, there's always Mer, which will be developing alongside Harmattan.

Buy (or not) based up on what the N900 will give you now though, not what might happen in a year or so.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Do we have any idea how long will the battery last just using it as a phone and letting it idle just on GSM?
Nokia claims 2-4 days in their spec sheet.*

*This number is, of course, based on pre-release hardware and software and is subject to change.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-09-09 at 15:34. Reason: Adding link to sheet, clarifying number

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: