Active Topics

My question is towards Nokia mostly,
Could they release the harmattan UI to n900?
I mean as an update.
I believe the phone would actually work with that stuff.
(and they have not done much of supporting for n900 for over 2 years)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iceman358 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
I figured this makes more sense here than in post 6786 of the thread from h3||!

(now how long 'til the mods merge these threads and make the information inaccessible to anyone but the few obsessed among us?)
i opened ur post. added shortcut to my desktop so i can check out all these links at tea break. i love n900, so easy to make that shortcut.

I still haven't found the hardware specs?
1 Ghz and 1gb ram is what i've found?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Is this running Linux or what? Fsck the swipe, does it come with xterm?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ | MAD | MEX | MOW |
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
I still haven't found the hardware specs?
1 Ghz and 1gb ram is what i've found?
http://press.nokia.com/wp-content/up...data-sheet.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to juanenrique For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
- No keyboard. How come? Way to blow it...
- My N900 can go at 1.15GHz too.
- No desktop. This is the new way of UI-s: nothing in the system, just a fancy application launcher, just like iOS or WP7. This is as far away from the original NIT concept as is gets. I can think of my N810 or N900 as a scaled down linux box, but not on this one.
- New UI is even more strictly closed than Maemo.
- No FM transmitter, no IR. So nobody uses televisions I guess, of FM in their car.
- No resistive screen -> no Mypaint, no easydebian anymore (this was kinda coming, I admit, but dang it, add an active digitalizer layer like in the HTC Flyer!)
- Fixed battery. Nobody expects this to go on for 2 days on a charge with a poweruser. Also no more Mugen battery and hackability options.
- Until I see a terminal with root access, this is no better off than an iDevice in my eyes.

I admit, it looks good, it seems to be a nice phone, but the N900 was so much more, than a mere phone. This is in league with the Android and iDevice crowd, and that was the point of it, I know, but in the meantime it lost its own appeal. Now I can go out and choose a qwerty Android. Or keep my N900 till it falls apart.

The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The N900 MeeGo DE/CE is not an official Nokia product and is not scheduled to get the N9 UIX (which may be closed source anyway). And yes the MeeGo UI sucks. I would stick to Maemo 5 UI on N900.
Oh well.

Cordia it is then. Unless somebody takes inspiration from Harmattan and makes a different UIX

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Tempting. But I don't see them advertising amazingly up to date flash compatibility, which suggests there isn't any.

FM Transmitter and IR port I could live without; better specs and NFC hardware beyond what we already have would be nice. UI looks like something I could easily like just as much as hildon IF I hadn't had time to get used to hildon.

However, until an input method that requires NO visual feedback is available, I simply can't be completely okay without a hardware keyboard.

I also note that N900 marketing was pretty good at emphasizing the it's-a-computer aspects... this, less so.

If I have a steady income when the time comes, I might buy one, but I doubt it would replace my N900 as a primary device.

*Sigh* I want an upgradeable plug-n-play phone hardware concept to actually be realized and put out into the market.

If the N900 hadn't gotten me so in love with the concept of almost-instantly-rootable, relatively-open almost-desktop Linux on a phone, I would probably bite.

*Shrug* I'll keep watching, like I did with the N900. If the N9 is amazing and similarly 'free', I might just invest in one. But I don't really see myself doing so just yet.

Also, to every N900 user - you still have my promise that no matter what, as long as I can, I will maintain development/support of everything I write/port for the N900 and put in the repositories. I might someday get an N9 and it might, if it turns out suitable for my needs/wants, become my primary device, but I will not be one of those devs/maintainers who moves on and slowly abandons the users of the previous generation device.

The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 298 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ This world :)
Both (N9 and N950) will have OMAP3.

More details:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4461/n...atop-omap-3630

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
No keyboard and non-replaceable battery....

The commanding voice of Elop "make the first MeeGo device failed" echoing in my head.

EDIT: Oh I just saw the spec. of N950. A developer device with hardware keyboard, sweet. I'm on it.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-06-21 at 06:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????