Notices

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
thanks.

I am worried that if I download the Theme Maker then I will waste more of my day than I already do!!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Depends on the person. I didn't have anything to do (as usual) and I HATE the hildon UI so I had a go at skinning. I've done it for my mobiles and that was easy, as the application generates the images for you but I would only advice people to skin a N800 theme if they are very knowledgable in Photoshop or any similar program like Gimp, as you need to be very organised and know how to use layers and what tricks to do.

All you're doing is making your image over the template, sounds very easy but VERY hard, as you're working with pixels rather than vectors so to do a minor edit to something you might need to take your time and zoom up like 600% and edit pixel by pixel.

Also the template is only the begining and is only 75% of the UI which is skinned, the rest is all down to you editing the gtkrc file for example.

I'm creating a Maemo Garage account so I will be hosting my themes on there soon and all my updates.

I will create several version of the Vista theme.

One with a small font size and one with the default size

and then soon I will make a major last edit which will skin all of the theme including the keyboard buttons and several other things.

Uploaded all the new themes to the Maemo Garage

View first post for download link | Click Here

A few tweaks/requests

red ovals: Can a theme make these huge side borders smaller?
green ovals: These images are not aligned so it is smooth
blue oval: can you remove the light gray pixel row?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Large red ones can be dropped.
Latest theme maker (probably not the public one though) lets you choose to 'maximize screen', which drops those red areas among other things. I could maybe send you the latest version if you could 'volunteer' to let me know of any bugs you find in it.

I'll see if I can correct these problems. I'm still getting use to having to zoom up into everything :S can get very confussing especially as objects aren't created in a solid colour but variants of multiples of tones and shades and gradients so it is hard to tell what the final outcome will be unless I test each theme. (trial and error)

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Large red ones can be dropped.
Latest theme maker (probably not the public one though) lets you choose to 'maximize screen', which drops those red areas among other things. I could maybe send you the latest version if you could 'volunteer' to let me know of any bugs you find in it.
the 'maximize screen' sounds great.

I don't have time to play with it at the moment. Maybe Adam can take up your offer of trying out the 'latest version'

thanks

can this theme use the normal font size. the font size 11-12 is too small, although it can display much lines.

I will release one with a bigger size soon, although anything above 12 points for general text seems too big for a handheld device