Notices

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Montreal
Hi all,

I've just uploaded cbrPager 0.9.24 to maemo-extras. You can also get it here: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...24-1_armel.deb

This release overhauls the keybinding code to work properly with arrow keys, and adds scrolling by 50% of screen size (most convenient for American comics whose aspect ratio make too blasted small when rotated). You can also edit "special mode" keys to be whatever you want. This could be useful for N810 users who are trying to get by without having to open the keyboard; they could map fullscreen to swap modes and zoom in/out to next/previous page in normal mode and page up/down in special mode. That's just an idea, but I guess it could work.

Note that if you had already installed cbrPager, you'll most likely need to go to the configuration dialog to reset the keybindings, as they won't be consistent. I remapped left and right to scroll page up and page down, respectively, but if you still have your old keybinding, those will remain bound to zoom to page width and zoom to fit.

Also, in the keyboard page of the configuration dialog, note the addition of two checkboxes on each row. The first one disables the function (i.e., assigns no accelerator to it). This is supposed to be possible using Backspace, but that doesn't work too well, and for the N800, you might as well forget it The second one maps the function to the Escape key. This is needed because Escape normally cancels accelerator capture rather than assign the Escape key to it.

I'll work on page preloading next, but that's a bit tricky and may take some time.

I hope you'll all enjoy this release! And I hope IcyAirs will be able to get rid of Comix, of course, if he still wants to

Here's a full list of user-visible changes:
  • Tweak key handling, again--the image view widget now handles absolutely nothing key-wise, as it should have been in the first place probably
  • Allow editing of special mode keys
  • Fix accelerator input, so that arrows can be bound at will. This was a stupid typo (mods instead of mode), sigh.
  • Allow page up, page down action. For now, page size is not customizable (usually 50% of the screen). However, we don't bind fit width or fit size to anything anymore. This can be overridden.
  • Fix problem reported by IcyAirs, where the "fixed location" mode for folders did not work properly.
  • Allow disabling an accelerator and inputting the escape key (normally, the escape key cancels the accelerator input).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bge For This Useful Post:
And suddenly, another feature request due to ANNOYING people and their packaging habits...

i think comix had it as the option human sorting, and i never thought much of it cause i figured NOBODY does this anymore. 2-9 before 10 and all that.

I haven't had this happen to me in the longest time, and i can generally spot it when i extract it into folders like i usually do, so i was utterly confused until i hit page 2 after 19 in the archive. It was a major facepalm moment, since the manga i was reading was confusing enough as it was.

Still don't understand why some people insist on packaging their chapters like so, it just hurts my brain ^^*

edit: oh hey, you snuck in an update inbetween when i started my post to when i posted it, sneaky... I'll try my best to locate them pesky bugs again? heh =P

BTW, I already threw away comix, your program is just superior in so many different ways =P Just add next-page pre-loading and as far as I can tell, it'll be practically perfect for my uses =D

edit edit: why is Page Down above Page Up in key configurations... =P and trying to page or touching the viewing area when nothing is opened closes the program (was this behavior there before? never tried, just noticed cause a rogue tap on viewing area caused the program to close) just a bit bizarre, even if it isn't able to do anything...

a configurable button for "Go to page..." would be nice, too ([G] isn't used, anyhow)

small bug: After using manual zoom in/out, when you hit rotate, the screen doesn't refresh unless you change page or drag it around. (and i never use zoom in and out, how did i manage to find this -_-)

Last edited by IcyAirs; 2008-10-22 at 06:18.

Looking in gconf cbrPager seems to have placed it's parameters under the root rather than under apps.

Hello true believers,

Yet another release... this one qualifies as a "brown paper bag" release, that is, you can imagine me wearing one in shame right now. You can get it at https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...25-1_armel.deb . I've also uploaded it to maemo-extras-devel, and it should show up in maemo-extras in an hour or so.

Turns out the app closing when clicking on the display area or paging before a file was opened was a crash, not a simple close. Shame on me for forgetting that a NULL array is not a NULL linked list...

Before upgrading, please note the file you last opened and the page you were at (that is, open the default file in cbrpager, call up the Goto page dialog, and note the page number). The reason for this is that, as mentioned by codeMonkey, the gconf data was being put in the wrong location. That's what I get for porting the app from using the Gnome config API and blindly using the keys as-is. The good news is that it's now in the right location; the bad news is that I haven't written any logic to migrate the settings, so you'll start from scratch. Sorry about that!

Well, despite this, I fixed pretty much everything reported, except page preloading (that one's really a major feature). To wit:
  • Fix crash when no file loaded yet and accelerators or mouse button is used.
  • Add sort order customization (natural, ASCII or case insensitive)
  • Moved "page up" above "page down" in configuration :P
  • Added "Go to page" action for key binding
  • Fixed gconf settings; they were in the wrong location. We now follow the Maemo guidelines.
  • Fixed lack of refresh when doing a rotation while zoomed-in.

I hope you'll all enjoy this release so I can take off the paper bag

Oh, and IcyAirs, keep finding those bugs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bge For This Useful Post:
K, upgraded to the new one. I don't think the paper bag is necessary when you plug the holes so damn fast. The fast fixes are your badge of honor =P next to the functionality of your program, of course, which is awesome all by itself ^^

So, onto testing. I don't even really know what it means to be "Natural" sorted (what kind of godawful naming structures you would need to plan ahead for), so let's start with some random files to see how things stack up.

With files that like to have the fun fun 1 2 3 ... 10 11.png numbering system, Natural ordering seems to work as expected.

However, for files that work fine in ascii mode, you get some interesting behavior in natural mode.

"v02c13 - 066-067.png" is first in the archive above "v02c10 - 000.jpg" (rawr double pages with dashes)

"117c.jpg" is last in the archive next to a "118c.jpg", way after the 194 other pages (random *** color pages)

"193.jpg" and "194.jpg" is somehow near the beginning next to "002.jpg" (this one i don't really understand, something to do with mixed formats of png and jpg, probably)

This just gives me a headache, as there's probably a couple dozen other cute ways to screw with sorting that i can't even begin to think about, but its just a test, as this file works perfectly fine in ascii mode.

Probably should just run in ascii normally and switch to natural for problem files, but what if its a problem file AND it has crazy format changes and random characters afterwards, the horror. I'd totally say this isn't a priority as the chances of that should (hopefully) be quite low and to work on stuff that's worthwhile, but just letting you know, in case you have a magical workaround that can precog stupid human inconsistancies and have the computer understand =P

I'll play around some more tomorrow to see if i can dig up some other strange things, but otherwise, things look good... if only I can come up with some good keybindings for all situations.

Speaking of which, is there a way you can implement binding multiple keys to one action? I can get in Special mode for Right handed Portrait keybindings, but being able to put in a bunch of keys for the same action would make multi-modal use more viable (two handed, left handed, right handed operation, for those long reading sessions where you need to keep switching hands =P) N800 totally wouldn't bother with it, but could be useful on N810.

My lament will always end up being "rawr why no dpad on face" and "no hardware buttons on the right, guess I'll hold the tablet at an awkward angle so i can reach the buttons"...

end/essay

Originally Posted by IcyAirs View Post
K, upgraded to the new one. I don't think the paper bag is necessary when you plug the holes so damn fast. The fast fixes are your badge of honor =P next to the functionality of your program, of course, which is awesome all by itself ^^
Thanks, I'm glad to get rid of it.

So, onto testing. I don't even really know what it means to be "Natural" sorted (what kind of godawful naming structures you would need to plan ahead for), so let's start with some random files to see how things stack up.
The algorithm is pretty dumb, actually. It accumulates all digits in the file name and then compares those instead of the file name if all other characters are equal.

It's not meant for general use right now, although it seems to work well with most files I've opened.

And I don't think there's a way to autodetect which sort algorithm should be used. However, if you open in ASCII and get to a page that doesn't belong there, you can just switch to natural; it will reset the page to the one that should be at that location in natural sort order.

If somebody can find me a better algorithm, I'll gladly include it

Speaking of which, is there a way you can implement binding multiple keys to one action? I can get in Special mode for Right handed Portrait keybindings, but being able to put in a bunch of keys for the same action would make multi-modal use more viable (two handed, left handed, right handed operation, for those long reading sessions where you need to keep switching hands =P) N800 totally wouldn't bother with it, but could be useful on N810.

My lament will always end up being "rawr why no dpad on face" and "no hardware buttons on the right, guess I'll hold the tablet at an awkward angle so i can reach the buttons"...

end/essay
Hmm, multi-key bindings are quite tricky, and it's not simple to implement at all. Sorry, but it's Nokia's fault for not putting the dpad on the face--you should get an N800 like me! (or a 770--though it's likely to be a bit slow to read comics)

I'd rather work on page caching at this point. And believe me, it's a tricky job, as the code was really not meant for that, so I'll have to turn some things upside-down.

-- BGE

Hello everyone,

I have a beta release ready for cbrPager for Maemo 0.9.26. Can't let you guys spend a week without one, right?

This release adds the oft-requested next page pre-fetching (caching). It doesn't improve time to next page as much as one may think (then again, it doesn't really improve it a lot with Comix either), but there is a noticeable difference regardless; it's maybe twice as fast for an American comic book. If you have auto-rotate turned on, it may be a bit slower because I don't cache the rotated version.

However, since it's a relatively complex modification to the code base, I've decided to postpone the upload to Maemo extras.

Thus, if anyone wants to be my beta tester, go ahead and install it from extras-devel, or from https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...26-1_armel.deb .

And let me know if it craps out in any way Don't worry, I've done some tests already, and it shouldn't make your tablet go up in flames (literally, or figuratively through RAM exhaustion). But I haven't tried breaking it in all possible ways although I did try a few zany scenarios. So any user testing is welcome.

To enable next page prefetching/caching, go to the Behavior tab of the configuration dialog. It's the last checkbox at the bottom.

Finally, I've also fixed the annoying "show scrollbars when full screen is always set even if I reset it last time" bug.

Enjoy this beta release, and please let me know if it works well--in which case I'll promote it to extras.

-- BGE

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Hi,
I'd appreciate some help with getting cbrpager to work.
I haven't gotten the application to load any comics yet.

If I open cbrpager and try to open a comic file in xterm it prints:

cbrpager[2897]: GLIB DEBUG ConIc - con_ic_connection_send_event(0xede50, ***removed***, WLAN_INFRA, 0)
cbrpager[2897]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_tree_model_filter_row_has_child_toggled: assertion `elt->visible' failed
do_close, client side: context: (nil), cancelled: 0cbrpager[2897]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_tree_model_filter_row_has_child_toggled: assertion `elt->visible' failed
No pages in archive '/media/mmc1/Comics & Books/Batman - Year One (# 01.04) 2.cbr'
The program 'cbrpager' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 3437 error_code 3 request_code 10 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

I thought that maybe this problem is related to not having space on the internal SD? My OS is running from the internal card and I don't have any empty space on the card.

Then I also tried swapping the SD cards and running diablo OS from the internal memory, but a similar message appears when I tried to open a comic in the app.

I tried to open numerous kinds of comic files so I don't think that the particular cbr file could be the problem.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Phobos; 2008-11-06 at 11:42.

Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
Hi,
I'd appreciate some help with getting cbrpager to work.
I haven't gotten the application to load any comics yet.

If I open cbrpager and try to open a comic file in xterm it prints:
(snip)
I tried to open numerous kinds of comic files so I don't think that the particular cbr file could be the problem.

Any ideas?
Well, there could be a few possibilities... One of them is that I made a mistake packaging, so cbz support requires that you install unzip with the build that's currently in extras. That's a mistake, I'm fixing this right now, and I'll try to post the fix ASAP.

However, I could not get it to crash in a debugger, so my only speculation at this point is that you don't have the unrar executable installed. Get it from maemo-extras. If this solves the problem, for .cbz files, install unzip or wait for the next release.

The program doesn't use temporary files at all anymore (it does everything with pipes), so free space shouldn't be a problem.

And the assertion failed messages are actually a bug in GTK+ which is innocuous from what I could tell (see: http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...st/034761.html)

Otherwise, try opening the .cbr mentioned in another thread: http://www.mangashare.com/dl/Claymore_83/4028/ . I can guarantee that this one works if you have unrar installed.

If it still doesn't work, well, I'll have to add trace messages, because it looks like it's specific to your machine. Or you'll have to send me a link to one of the files that doesn't work (which you can trim to a page or two if you want to avoid copyright violations

Hope this helps!

-- BGE

The Following User Says Thank You to bge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Thanks a lot!

Not having unrar installed was the issue. I just didn't think of that.

Also congrats for your baby! I've also got a one year old and now I can read my child hood comics after putting him to sleep

Tags
cbrpager, comics, lightweight, manga, reader