Active Topics

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Is there any way to get SGX working? As I tested about 6 months ago Jessie can run HIldon-desktop, but it really neads GLES.

Another option is major modding for hildon.
dunno which kernel you use, but I was able to boot (almost stock)fremantle since 3.14(?). Pali's tree should have SGX driver (didn't really check, but it should be there). You need userspace bits from fremantle ofc. No idea if those will work with hardfp though.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Did anyone have any joy with the hardfp drivers from Meego/Mer/Nemo...? Debian IIRC is using armv7 for armhf vs v4 or 6 with its armel port which, as dosbox shows, makes a big difference for some apps.

Why don't you try some more recent Binaries? To build them yourself or something.

Not sure if it's the most recent Release but it seems to support the N900, is hardfp and got a lot of fixes compared to the maemo softfp userspace binaries.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/RN_5_01_01_01

SDK: http://software-dl.ti.com/dsps/dsps_...5_01_01_01.bin

The Following User Says Thank You to waschmi For This Useful Post:
About UI for n900 Debian....

Enlightenment is clearly superior and much works already but the old und pretty much abandoned Gnome Mobile (in this case "Sato") interface is still floating around.

http://www.pokylinux.org/about/ (I think it supports newer GTK+ version than said 2.12 but not gtk3 of course)
sources: http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/

Why? No Idea, I kind of always liked it and was sad it became discontinued.

[On-Topic]
This script is amazing!

Couple of remarks, for motivating others.

1) Works with Ubuntu-14.10
Needed tools:
Code:
#For compiling kernel
sudo apt-get install qemu-user-static gcc-arm-none-eabi
#For preparing card
sudo apt-get install debootstrap
Gcc in Ubuntu fails with same error than Debian. Downgrade e.g. http://se.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...arm-none-eabi/ (reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...i/+bug/1390912)

I'm first testing
Code:
debian.conf
-ARCH=armhf
+ARCH=armel
2) During debootstap it asks what locales to generate. And timezone. Could these be in config file? (-> Even more batch run)

3) My Fremantle could not read EXT4, so step "run configure_u-boot.sh" must be skipped and do manually uboot.item.

4) My first build was unusable, because even it associated with wireless access point, it never asked IP. So I made another build with added package isc-dhcp-client for dhclient. (Is this essential package or what is correct solution?)
Also
Code:
-EDITOR=vim
+EDITOR=nano
would be easier (no editor-war =) )

5) issue: shutting down jessie (init 0 or shutdown -hP now) will not shut device down. I don't know what state it is but it can't be started with power button. Battery must be taken off.

6) issue: File system gets corrupted often when doing apt-get update or install.
Command stops at
Code:
Error writing to output file - write (30: Read-only file system)
And dmesg shows:
Code:
[  560.576171] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p1) in ext4_reserve_inode_write:4887: Out of memory
[  560.597259] Aborting journal on device mmcblk0p1-8.
[  560.607391] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p1): Remounting filesystem read-only
[  560.613403] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p1) in ext4_dirty_inode:5006: IO failure
[  560.619506] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p1): ext4_journal_check_start:56: Detected aborted journal
I'm currently working with one SD-card and one N900-device, and I don't know if they are fault.

6b) Can't trigger fsck with
Code:
shutdown -rF 0
or
Code:
touch /forcefsck
I must remove card for fixing filesystem. And because device is not shutting down it needs also battery removal every time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
aapo: there is a known bug in gcc, that leads to corrupted fs, you may be hitting it: https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/10/10/272

Keep in mind that the offending patch has been backported to 4.7 as well, dunno which version

re power-off - this is fixed in 3.18 afaik.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
I'm currently working with one SD-card and one N900-device, and I don't know if they are fault.
Sounds trivial, but get another SD card!
I have an 8GB µSD card that my Cubieboard just doesn't want to boot from but otherwise works fine. It's my fastest one. So I use it for DebiaN900 now.

These little things seem to be "special" sometimes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Sorry for the next part being vague, but I'm tired at the moment and I'm not really used to compiling kernels so I'm not sure about the right procedure.
I first tried setting this in freemangordons-linux-n900/.config:
Code:
CONFIG_RFKILL=1
CONFIG_RFKILL_REGULATOR=m
But it got overwritten during the run of build-kernel.sh.
Normally you should use
Code:
CONFIG_RFKILL=y
to build it into the kernel, or
Code:
CONFIG_RFKILL=m
to build it as a module.

after compiling the kernel I could actually find an rfkill.ko module in freemangordons-linux-n900/modules/lib/modules/3.16.0-rc1+/kernel/net/rfkill
It sounds like it built it as a module if you've got an rfkill.ko. I'm not sure if that was what you desired.

So I copied the whole modules directory (the 2nd one under modules/lib/) and the kernel (by overwriting the old kernel) to the µSD and started the device N900 with it.
You also need to create a U-Boot compatible kernel image and initrd. initrd might not be necessary but I always rebuild it to ensure that everything is kept in step. You can do this either on the device or in a QEMU chroot.
Code:
# KERNELRELEASE=3.18.0-rc6+
# mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 80008000 -e 80008000 -n $KERNELRELEASE -d /boot/zImage-$KERNELRELEASE /boot/uImage-$KERNELRELEASE
# update-initramfs -c -k $KERNELRELEASE
Obviously you'll want to substitute the value of KERNELRELEASE for the name of your kernel release. If you grabbed my scripts after 7th October then update-initramfs will create the uInitrd image automatically (thanks to sim6!) otherwise you will need to manually create it:
Code:
# mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C none -a 0 -e 0 -n initramfs -d /boot/initrd.img-$KERNELRELEASE /boot/uInitrd-$KERNELRELEASE
If you're setting up a new kernel release remember to update U-Boot too.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
dunno which kernel you use, but I was able to boot (almost stock)fremantle since 3.14(?). Pali's tree should have SGX driver (didn't really check, but it should be there). You need userspace bits from fremantle ofc. No idea if those will work with hardfp though.
Last time I tried to get it working it was failing due to this problem and haven't yet had a chance to look into it further.

I recently tried 3.18-rc6 from Pali's tree but it doesn't boot and I don't have an N900 serial cable to troubleshoot.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
[On-Topic]
This script is amazing!
Thanks!

Couple of remarks, for motivating others.

1) Works with Ubuntu-14.10
Needed tools:
Code:
#For compiling kernel
sudo apt-get install qemu-user-static gcc-arm-none-eabi
#For preparing card
sudo apt-get install debootstrap
Gcc in Ubuntu fails with same error than Debian. Downgrade e.g. http://se.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...arm-none-eabi/ (reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...i/+bug/1390912)
Thanks for reporting it in Ubuntu too. It's a shame no one's looked at it yet.

I'm first testing
Code:
debian.conf
-ARCH=armhf
+ARCH=armel
2) During debootstap it asks what locales to generate. And timezone. Could these be in config file? (-> Even more batch run)
This actually occurs after debootstrap. The install script calls dpkg-reconfigure locales and dpkg-reconfigure tzdata. Rather than control these via the config file I'll change it (along with the password set up) so that they run on first boot instead of the chroot stage.

3) My Fremantle could not read EXT4, so step "run configure_u-boot.sh" must be skipped and do manually uboot.item.
If you're running kernel-power under Fremantle it can mount ext4 however it doesn't detect it automatically so be sure to specify the "-t ext4" option of the mount command.

Alternatively you can copy configure_u-boot.sh to the N900 and run it. I'll update the script and README to make it clearer.

4) My first build was unusable, because even it associated with wireless access point, it never asked IP. So I made another build with added package isc-dhcp-client for dhclient. (Is this essential package or what is correct solution?)
That's odd. ConnMan, the default connection manager has its own DHCP client so isc-dhcp-client shouldn't be needed. I get an IP address automatically once I've been authenticated with the AP.

Also
Code:
-EDITOR=vim
+EDITOR=nano
would be easier (no editor-war =) )
Easier? You wouldn't believe the problems I have when I use an editor that's not vi based (I'm currently typing this post using wasavi). :P I learnt to use vi when I realised that it's available on every Unix-based machine. I'll change the default editor to nano when it makes it into the POSIX spec.

5) issue: shutting down jessie (init 0 or shutdown -hP now) will not shut device down. I don't know what state it is but it can't be started with power button. Battery must be taken off.
This is a known issue.

6) issue: File system gets corrupted often when doing apt-get update or install.
Command stops at
Code:
Error writing to output file - write (30: Read-only file system)
And dmesg shows:
Code:
[  560.576171] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p1) in ext4_reserve_inode_write:4887: Out of memory
[  560.597259] Aborting journal on device mmcblk0p1-8.
[  560.607391] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p1): Remounting filesystem read-only
[  560.613403] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p1) in ext4_dirty_inode:5006: IO failure
[  560.619506] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p1): ext4_journal_check_start:56: Detected aborted journal
It sounds like you've got a bad SD card.

6b) Can't trigger fsck with
Code:
shutdown -rF 0
or
Code:
touch /forcefsck
I must remove card for fixing filesystem. And because device is not shutting down it needs also battery removal every time.
This is odd. It's happening for me too. I'll look into it.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, debian900, devuan, maemo 7