Active Topics

Had the N900 since yesterday afternoon, played with it for 30~60 mins and after that the battery was dead.

Charged it for about 7 ~ 8 hours last night, had some applications open and after 8 hours it was dead again.

I don't mind this.. it's not a phone but the problem is that it's not charging anymore and because of that it's not starting up.

Anyone else having this problem? If so, did you solve it? If so, how?

PS. I didn't even call with it yet :-P

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum.
Which 3rd party applications do you have installed?

Also note that a battery often needs several times of recharging to be able to provide the full amount of time. (At least that;s what I believe, somebody who has more clue might correct me here.)

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
pop the battery out and put it back in while the charger is on, it should work again

its a bug

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Some people have reported sometimes having to pull the keyboard out to get it to charge, so that's worth a try.

@Andre

I've installed:
- FriendStatus IM Statuses Aggregator
- Ines
- MooBox (cow sounds from your phone.. how cool!)

I've uninstalled
- Foreca Weather
- Amazon

I understand applications can screw up the OS so it hangs or something but it doesn't even start or give a charging light. It would be very weird that it will stop charging because of a bad application.

@UCOMM,
Tried it, no luck (it's not even giving me the orange light)

@Rob1n,
Tried it, no luck

From what some posts have said that I have read on forums here, the N900 boots up to a charging mode. So if you have no juice left in the battery then the N900 can't boot up to charge. If this is the problem then the only solution is to charge it using a desktop charger or put the battery in another phone. But again this is speculation (as far as I can tell).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

if that's true... it would have been a problem yesterday also. Unless it then just had enough to start. It did try to charge today... I saw the Nokia logo screen and the orangje light was on but it didn't turn on the backlight. That was the last time it did something with the charging light,

I think this will be a problem for Nokia Support Center (which in return will be my problem because it probably won't be back this year).

I also noticed something, not sure if that's normal. If you check the 3 golden pointy things (sorry for the technical terms) where the battery plugs in... is 1 of the 3 different (position/length)?

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
From what some posts have said that I have read on forums here, the N900 boots up to a charging mode. So if you have no juice left in the battery then the N900 can't boot up to charge. If this is the problem then the only solution is to charge it using a desktop charger or put the battery in another phone. But again this is speculation (as far as I can tell).
I was one of those saying the above, but it turns out that's not entirely correct. It does need to boot up to a charging mode, which it will be able to do from the charger even if the battery is flat (it may take a while (many minutes) before it starts charging in this mode, there's a bit about it in the manual.)

However, if the device needs flashing (i.e. a corrupt boot image or some such), it can't boot, so if your battery is flat you can't charge the battery, and with a flat battery you won't be able to reflash (even with a charger). So that's the real catch-22.

It's a good idea to try to avoid a totally empty battery. It does sound like the OP has some other kind of problem with the phone though - or maybe it's a 3party application which messed up the phone so that it'll need reflashing. And then the above applies. Find someone with a Nokia 5800 and borrow the battery, or use it to charge your battery. Then reflash.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2009-12-14 at 16:11.

i had this prob....unplug, pop battery out, then in and turn it on.

The Following User Says Thank You to zfarooq For This Useful Post:
It takes some time before it has enought juice to start up but I let it charge for more then 8 hours (without the orangje light.. so it didn't charge). Problem was still there. Also tried what zfraroog said.. nothing happened.

Went back to the store, they wanted to send a new N900 until another customer brought his N900 back (his kept rebooting). Tried his battery and worked immediatly so I have his battery :-) (they didn't have any in stock).

problem solved :-)