Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
for now we would appreciate a few daring users installing the MCE-replacement and checking it in normal everyday usage. We need a lot of QA.
A few days ago (maybe 2 weeks, dunno) I suggested to get a new CSSU repo /porting/N900 that would contain all those "liberated" bits that replace blobs in fremantle core. Freemangordon appreciated and supported the idea. Next would be /porting/Neo900 then.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-16 at 13:53.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Would it be a kind of experimental branch to focus on hw abstraction then?

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
FYI, I have been running the MCE replacement on my daily-use N900 ever since the clone was completed and have noticed no problems with it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
not experimental, but yes, all /porting/* branches are supposed to be relatively identical components in there and hw specific. I don't think we want to follow the mainline kernel path to have universal sources so the code can run on every arbitrary hw platform, rather we might need an adapted MCE, PA/ALSA, whatnot else variant for each device, and we keep all those (obviously non-blob aka FOSS) variants in their according branches of /porting/* repos. For N900 it would contain only FOSS replacements of blobs, for other targets it may also contain hw-specific variants of already opensource bits

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-16 at 15:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
ill happily install it, while i probably wont get a neon900 for a while, am using the n900 daily

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
not experimental, but yes, all /porting/* branches are supposed to be relatively identical components in there and hw specific. I don't think we want to follow the mainline kernel path to have universal sources so the code can run on every arbitrary hw platform, rather we might need an adapted MCE, PA/ALSA, whatnot else variant for each device, and we keep all those (obviously non-blob aka FOSS) variants in their according branches of /porting/* repos. For N900 it would contain only FOSS replacements of blobs, for other targets it may also contain hw-specific variants of already opensource bits
I used "experimental" just to identify development as being separate from what current every day users would be running at the moment. Not really best choice of word.

So if I get your meaning correctly:

Porting/ - Modifed packages to depend on virtual package for hw feature, eg. cam-firmware
Porting/N900 - N900-cam-firmare with provide: cam-firmware
Porting/Neo - Neo-cam-firmare with provide: cam-firmware
Porting/...

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
ill happily install it, while i probably wont get a neon900 for a while, am using the n900 daily
This is a normal dpkg -i *.deb install? I see no reason why not, but.... I did get some non-critical install errors relating to .xml but everything seems ok. Same version info makes it non-obvious which version is running but dates say it is updated.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
it should be, I haven't had the chance yet, would installing this on a thumb phone be cool?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
it should be, I haven't had the chance yet, would installing this on a thumb phone be cool?
I have done so and it is cool. Thum installed phones of course run thumb and non-thumb just fine as much remains un-thumbed, so to write.

HAM refused to install the mce .deb (wrong version error, or some such) and, as a reflash is of not NB to me, I went ahead with dpkg -i and got the errors. I reasoned they were not serious as this after all is meant to be a clone.

A thumb version would be nice, but we needs be patient....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
installed and running, so ama just sit back, relax, and use my phone

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu-mce, fremantle, hdtd thread, htdt detected