Active Topics

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The site looks good but it makes my Firefox choke and produces lots of CSS errors. With this bad user experience, I'd rather not visit it often.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The site looks good but it makes my Firefox choke and produces lots of CSS errors. With this bad user experience, I'd rather not visit it often.
Fixed. Thanks.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Actually you CAN keep up to date with all these sites while only following maemo.org, that's what the aggregator is for.
What's the aggregator?

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-09-01 at 20:57.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
What the aggregator?
Planet

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
What does that new site give that I can't already get from http://maemo.org/news/planet-maemo/ ?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Well, if it's good to have multiple sites, why not start twenty more?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Well, if it's good to have multiple sites, why not start twenty more?
Who doesn't have their own Maemo blog? Even I do, and it contains one post only

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
...generic...anti.....maemo.....talk......comment. .....that....should..... affect.......its.......existence.....

There, now I feel better.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Actually you CAN keep up to date with all these sites while only following maemo.org, that's what the aggregator is for.
There's more than a little confusion about this, reflecting maemo.org's makeup, I guess.

1) Maybe planet used to mean "the whole thing" and aggregator "something that brings different things or people together, into a total, mass, or whole" [pace encarta].

The maemo.org aggregation page, however, states that "maemo.org is for developers and power users" so "[w]riters specializing on end user topics are only accepted exceptionally."

2) I started a blog as a place to make material I'm creating for a printed book available online, without charge. The book is a guide to the N900.

Since I didn't want to presume upon my past association with Reggie, when he told me about starting the Maemo Talk blog I figured whatever I blog about Maemo or Nokia should be posted to my own blog (separate from the print-book content).

Since the blog went live last night, the first and only item there says no more than This is a new site, so there's no content here; visit maemo.nokia.com for information. Immediately four "thumbs down" votes were cast at planet.maemo in disapproval of this item.

It's hard to imagine a more innocuous blog post, so I take these votes to be ire at the aggregator including a site not aimed at developers and power users.

3) In another thread here, a blogger noted that he had reservations about the N900 (the topic of the thread) and had already posted them. He didn't repeat himself; he supplied a link to what was already online. For this, eleven (!) members of the maemo community excoriated him, calling him a spammer.

Aren't we being a little touchy when blogs on another site are condemned so readily? Since when has a non-commercial link to pre-existing content deserved this treatment?

To my eye, the karma tools — never especially pure — less and less useful as they are increasingly misused to mean "I agree with your opinion!" instead of "Hey, everybody! Take note: this is good stuff!" We debase ourselves, not just the forums of maemo.org, when opinions rule, not openness and information.

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Roger,

The thumbs down were probably because your post was so content-free. The "thumbs-up count" is used to decide if a planet article should go to the front page of maemo.org or not, and clearly a "Hello World" post should not go there.

Once you start posting real posts, you'll (probably) get a lot more thumbs-up on Planet.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: