Active Topics

Since there is already a Java package for the N900 (icedtea) someone who knows more about interfacing with the SIM card could make it happen?

Any news?

I bought the n900 today and was totally suprised by this lack of feature Reconsidering my purchase.

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Someone found a way to solve this?

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Arendal, Norway
Just posting to keep this thread at the top, the lack of this feature is a major inconvenience for me.

Instead of *****ing about MeeGo and Flash 10, can't we focus on the small basic stuff that has been on phones for 10 years, and are tools, not toys?

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by skripis View Post
Just posting to keep this thread at the top, the lack of this feature is a major inconvenience for me.

Instead of *****ing about MeeGo and Flash 10, can't we focus on the small basic stuff that has been on phones for 10 years, and are tools, not toys?
I think I can count the number of people I know personally who've used this feature... on any phone ever... or ever even heard of it.... on exactly zero hands.

I'm sure it's an important feature for some users, even a critical feature, but I must admit it sounds utterly obscure to me. Is it really something that's supported by "every" other phone?

Btw, some people need (or will need) Flash 10 to talk to services... don't dismiss it as any less of a critical tool for some.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by skripis View Post
(Just a thought, hope it's useful.)

If you're hoping to attract developers who might make a difference, or get involved yourself, you're probably better off trying to find who's working with / using the existing SIM stuff and talking to them.

If you're hoping to raise the profile of the issue with Nokia developers, it is often claimed that Nokia employees don't read this forum (except a dedicated few - bless their souls), and that one of the forums on a Nokia domain might be a more effective for reaching Nokia/Nokians.

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
I think I can count the number of people I know personally who've used this feature... on any phone ever... or ever even heard of it.... on exactly zero hands.

I'm sure it's an important feature for some users, even a critical feature, but I must admit it sounds utterly obscure to me. Is it really something that's supported by "every" other phone?

Btw, some people need (or will need) Flash 10 to talk to services... don't dismiss it as any less of a critical tool for some.
Up here in Scandinavia/the Baltic region it's a very common form of digital signature. I rarely/never run the apps in the SIM folder directly, those are all antique, but I've been using the sign-pin function to log into my netbank a lot since I found out about the possibly - no need to drag around that code generator anymore.

A quick google showed me that STK is available for Iphone, WM and Android. And ofcourse both S40 and S60. How 'bout that?

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
(Just a thought, hope it's useful.)

If you're hoping to attract developers who might make a difference, or get involved yourself, you're probably better off trying to find who's working with / using the existing SIM stuff and talking to them.

If you're hoping to raise the profile of the issue with Nokia developers, it is often claimed that Nokia employees don't read this forum (except a dedicated few - bless their souls), and that one of the forums on a Nokia domain might be a more effective for reaching Nokia/Nokians.
I tried to vote on the topic in brainstorm - that's the least I can do - but I needed to create a separate login there as well... it's 2AM, I'll need something to keep myself busy with at work tomorrow.

As for official Nokia forums, I don't go there much anymore since they all seem to be populated by so many uninformed whiners, that every meaningful discussion quickly gets flooded with nonsense.

Last edited by skripis; 2010-07-22 at 23:52.

Ok, so last night, just for the heck of it, I sent a request to Nokia Care/Nokia contact centre, asking for their view on these applications.

I actually got an answer! He requested some more info on what exactly these applications where useful for, an escalation could be possible. fingers crossed.

My $.02 are on a cut&paste reply once the matter escalates high enough - "it's up to the community".

(I forgot to mention that Iphone and Android supports it. Dang.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skripis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Under consideration? Who's consideration? Will this be ever implemented?