Active Topics

I have a few problems with the DataViz Docs to Go application. I'm looking for solutions or workarounds to these problems, or an alternative document viewer. Thanks for your help!

I also mention the PDF reader that came with the N900 and is not part of the DataViz software.

DataViz Docs to Go Problems
Problem 1) I don't have much installed on my N900 to slow it down, etc. With a 3.5mb 166-page Word document opened in Word to Go, using the FIND feature freezes up the application for about a minute or more. After the freeze, either
a) It finds the word I'm searching for and then freezes again when I search the next instance of the word, or...
b) A screen pops up to say the application is not responding and asks if I want to end the program.
Note that when this is happening with the Word to Go application, I can still use other applications on the N900, so it is not the N900 freezing up, it's the Word to Go application.

Problem 2) Word to Go does not maintain columns or tables in the Word document.
a) Columns are eliminated altogether, so my table of contents spread into 3 columns becomes one long vertical column and therefore all the page numbers are incorrect.
b) Table borders are maintained but things like shading in the cells are eliminated so that everything looks like a plain table. My original document has tables with heading-columns shaded in but the shading-in doesn't show up in Word to Go
Problem 3) There is no kinetic scrolling. To scroll through a 166-page Word document is exhausting because the scrolling stops the moment your finger comes off the screen.

N900's PDF Reader Problems
Problem 1) I converted the 166-page Word document into a PDF on my lap top and transferred it to the N900. The columns and table-shading are maintained, but it won't display the pages continuously. Instead, you can only go to the next page by clicking on the arrow.

Problem 2) The N900 PDF reader does not have a FIND feature. This makes it difficult to locate a particular phrase in a 166-page document.

Problem 3) The PDF reader also lacks kinetic scrolling. You can't scroll through pages anyway because you are forced to view one page at a time, and go to the next page by clicking the arrow. But even in a zoomed-in single page, scrolling stops the moment your finger comes off the screen.

Solutions?
1) Any alternative PDF reader that adds the FIND feature and lets you view the document in continuous pages?

2) Any alternative Word reader that doesn't freeze up, doesn't remove columns, and doesn't eliminate table properties?

3) Any of the above alternatives in an application format on the device itself, instead of in the cloud on some web server that requires an Internet connection?

4) Any way to display this in portrait mode? I know the browser can be in portrait with the CTRL + SHIFT + O combo. It would be nice to have that in the PDF and Microsoft Office documents too.

One option I thought of was to use an e-book reader application. Matthew Miller (tech writer) used MGutenberg on youtube that displayed in portrait mode. Not sure if it would have a FIND feature or kinetic scrolling through continuous pages. I haven't tried it myself, the thought just occurred to me as I typed this.

Thanks.

Last edited by JCH; 2010-02-21 at 06:22.

While I don't know if they will fufill your problems.. you can try:

For PDF: Try evince (I think it's in extras-testing so standard warning applies about installing testing or devel software).

For Word: There's KOffice (extras-devel I think), Abiword (either extras-devel or extras-testing). Then there's OpenOffice if you install EasyDebian.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Thanks Laughing Man. I'm not a programmer, and the N900 is my first exposure to Linux. So I'm not familiar with EasyDebian. I will google the other suggestions you had and see what I can find out. Admittedly, I've been staying away from applications in testing unless I've read of people using them and not having problems.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Instructions for easy debian: http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian
Don't be afraid: it's really easy

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Instructions for easy debian: http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian
Don't be afraid: it's really easy
Good website for instructions! Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_A For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
again you thank someone 1 year and 9 months later?

Can you stop revving dead threads? You can always click the thanks! button instead of posting...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: