Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
N900 was marketed in same way. Youtube videos, blogger stuff and viral marketing.

While at the time Symbian devices received what WP7 will receive now, ie. TV ads, billboards, ads on public transport etc.
BUT the N900 was deemed the first of the next (Nokia had already stated the N8 was the last symbian N-series) Now its the last of a kind. So don't expect things like sygic and any angry birds except the preinstalled one.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 42 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2011
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
thanks for giving us an example of what is so exhausting on TMO
ppl read a post, or even several posts by different ppl, saying basically the same thing, and the reaction is... you don't know what you are talking about

EDIT: maybe this is all about admitting one is wrong.
or, even without having to be that extreme, has missed some of facts; btdt on the EPIC N9 announcement thread.
guess the N9 wouldn't be any different if it had a hw kbd; it would make some of us happier (those who won't be able to get a N950), some unhappier (those who wouldn't have gotten a FREE N950 ) and a nearly infinitely waste majority... not caring a rat's @$$

i'll leave it up to erendorn to go more into the microeconomic aspects if s/he feels up to it.

i'll simply add a remark; NOKIA's rigidity which has been denounced so often isn't just a NOKIA feature; most companies growing past a certain size become... big administrations.
budgets, head counts, IF LUCKY (!) a R&D dptmnt with its budgets & head counts...
it isn't quite as bad as the five years plans from the old USSR, but yes, it still makes for an awfully inefficient rigidity

unfortunately Maemo was still at this R&D stage even after the release of the N900.
maybe (MAYBE!) in a "more dynamic" company like iPotatos or Google one could have walked right into Steve Jobs' or Eric Schmidt's office and shouted out "I GOT THE NEXT BIG THING... let's just manufacture the N900 en masses!!!!"

@ NOKIA this was apparently not possible (any more?), @ least not 'til Flop sent out an e-mail to all employees asking them to come up with ideas... and replying personally to some 2000 answers he got :-o

maybe also the fact that they still could throw practically any rubbish at the masses & still sell millions of it (N97, anyone? or maybe the 5800 you keep bringing up?).

so why push out the N900 too quickly & risk a failure like the 7710 (too early, too buggy, not ready for the masses) and ruin the whole project?
Symbian was still selling well enough, wasn't it?

the 2nd N900 i bought recently was a 2nd hand still with warranty running 'til beginning next year.
the guy bought it earlier this year, spent the 1st week-end downloading all the FREE applications for Maemo he could put his stylus on... and put it back into the box
maybe he was hoping for MeeGo being... more user friendly? having more (free) 3rd party software applications (aka ecosystem)?

however, a few weeks ago he realized that wasn't going to happen (YET) and thus was on the market

sad story (with happy ending for me), but most potential customers either listend to some sales guy in the shop or to a geek friend (one of us, maybe?) and... moved on to an iPotato or android device, leaving the N900 on the shelf
alas

is the N9 going to be any different?
apparently not

The google community would agree. N9 gets thumbs down!

http://www.google.com/trends?q=iphon...ate=ytd&sort=0

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Sad, no matter how you dice it.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So the N9... with that aforesaid, will sell whatever it sells. Nokia has no expectations for it. Meanwhile, they're gearing up with a $130 million dollar campaign to sink into Windows Phone 7.
Haven't I told you how I like homegrown analysts?

Ballmer during his keynote speech at the 2011 Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC 2011) admitted WP7 is failure.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by steveburczymucha View Post
Haven't I told you how I like homegrown analysts?

Ballmer during his keynote speech at the 2011 Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC 2011) admitted WP7 is failure.
Aren't ALL analysts "homegrown?"
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by steveburczymucha View Post
Yeah. Been alluded to in other posts/threads in this forum.

You know, I've been thinking. Can anybody else think of any other project that Nokia has done that falls under this "microeconomics" positioning as of late?

Just curious.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
thanks for giving us an example of what is so exhausting on TMO
ppl read a post, or even several posts by different ppl, saying basically the same thing, and the reaction is... you don't know what you are talking about

EDIT: maybe this is all about admitting one is wrong.
or, even without having to be that extreme, has missed some of facts; btdt on the EPIC N9 announcement thread.
guess the N9 wouldn't be any different if it had a hw kbd; it would make some of us happier (those who won't be able to get a N950), some unhappier (those who wouldn't have gotten a FREE N950 ) and a nearly infinitely waste majority... not caring a rat's @$$

i'll leave it up to erendorn to go more into the microeconomic aspects if s/he feels up to it.

i'll simply add a remark; NOKIA's rigidity which has been denounced so often isn't just a NOKIA feature; most companies growing past a certain size become... big administrations.
budgets, head counts, IF LUCKY (!) a R&D dptmnt with its budgets & head counts...
it isn't quite as bad as the five years plans from the old USSR, but yes, it still makes for an awfully inefficient rigidity

unfortunately Maemo was still at this R&D stage even after the release of the N900.
maybe (MAYBE!) in a "more dynamic" company like iPotatos or Google one could have walked right into Steve Jobs' or Eric Schmidt's office and shouted out "I GOT THE NEXT BIG THING... let's just manufacture the N900 en masses!!!!"

@ NOKIA this was apparently not possible (any more?), @ least not 'til Flop sent out an e-mail to all employees asking them to come up with ideas... and replying personally to some 2000 answers he got :-o

maybe also the fact that they still could throw practically any rubbish at the masses & still sell millions of it (N97, anyone? or maybe the 5800 you keep bringing up?).

so why push out the N900 too quickly & risk a failure like the 7710 (too early, too buggy, not ready for the masses) and ruin the whole project?
Symbian was still selling well enough, wasn't it?

the 2nd N900 i bought recently was a 2nd hand still with warranty running 'til beginning next year.
the guy bought it earlier this year, spent the 1st week-end downloading all the FREE applications for Maemo he could put his stylus on... and put it back into the box
maybe he was hoping for MeeGo being... more user friendly? having more (free) 3rd party software applications (aka ecosystem)?

however, a few weeks ago he realized that wasn't going to happen (YET) and thus was on the market

sad story (with happy ending for me), but most potential customers either listend to some sales guy in the shop or to a geek friend (one of us, maybe?) and... moved on to an iPotato or android device, leaving the N900 on the shelf
alas

is the N9 going to be any different?
apparently not
What device do YOU want? That's the only important answer for YOU. If you want loads of apps, then get iPhone or Android.

Who has made a pocket size Linux box/phone? Nokia. Who has in fact made several of them? Nokia. Who has made the coolest pocketable Linux box ever? Nokia (N9).

You are just a bunch of suckers, buying into commercials and hype. "Mind share" - a fancy word for corporate-manipulated no brain sheep mentality: Good for large corporations - bad for YOU. Just a simple test, if it is important to you that "your" company has great mind share and/or market share, then you are a corporate-manipulated sheep, as per definition (unless you are investing).

Then we have the clowns (***amos and ***ick et al) who have got their life destroyed because of Nokias falling mind share and market share. They have now become self proclaimed haters. Writers have written tons of stuff about the (meta)psychology of this, but regarding more existential matters than gadgets. The word pathetic comes to mind.

I mean, apparently Nokia has done some insane things from a corporate point of view, so be it. Do they (still) make the coolest devices (according to ME) ? definitely. That's all there is to it. Yesterday I saw that they are selling Nokia C7, two for the price of one Test number two: Is that a cool thing or a sad/bad thing?

As a side note. I finally installed Linux Mint, mainly just to see how well my laptop handles 64 bit Linux. I have to admit, Mint is the most positive Open Source experience yet, get things working instead of all this pseudo-religious idealist nonsense.

Last edited by ericsson; 2011-07-15 at 11:30.

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/...untries/014878

nokia is deep ****... really, elop managed to kill symbian, wp7 is a sales failure.

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, goodbye nokia, mantis boy, n9 rox, success: sold 7