Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
What device do YOU want? That's the only important answer for YOU. If you want loads of apps, then get iPhone or Android.

Who has made a pocket size Linux box/phone? Nokia. Who has in fact made several of them? Nokia. Who has made the coolest pocketable Linux box ever? Nokia (N9).

You are just a bunch of suckers, buying into commercials and hype. "Minds hare" - a fancy word for corporate-manipulated no brain sheep mentality: Good for large corporations - bad for YOU. Just a simple test, if it is important to you that "your" company has great mind share and/or market share, then you are a corporate-manipulated sheep, as per definition (unless you are investing).

Then we have the clowns (***amos and ***ick et al) who have got their life destroyed because of Nokias falling mind share and market share. They have now become self proclaimed haters. Writers have written tons of stuff about the (meta)psychology of this, but regarding more existential matters than gadgets. The word pathetic comes to mind.

I mean, apparently Nokia has done some insane things from a corporate point of view, so be it. Do they (still) make the coolest devices (according to ME) ? definitely. That's all there is to it. Yesterday I saw that they are selling Nokia C7, two for the price of one Test number two: Is that a cool thing or a sad/bad thing?

As a side note. I finally installed Linux Mint, mainly just to see how well my laptop handles 64 bit Linux. I have to admit, Mint is the most positive Open Source experience yet, get things working instead of all this pseudo-religious idealist nonsense.
I bought some Nokia stock today, let's see how this works out. I think in the end they can be successful with their new strategy.

Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/...untries/014878

nokia is deep ****... really, elop managed to kill symbian, wp7 is a sales failure.
assuming you meant
NOKIA is in deep ****...
as long as most of their sales are coming from countries with no or very little 3G coverage, thus from "dumb" Symbian phones (aka S40), they would probably be able to survive on that alone...
what will be will be.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
assuming you meant

as long as most of their sales are coming from countries with no or very little 3G coverage, thus from "dumb" Symbian phones (aka S40), they would probably be able to survive on that alone...
what will be will be.
Few problems with that.

S40 is not Symbian. Only thing they have in common is the first letter in their names being S. Most S40 phones are allready at least 3G phones and many support also 3,5G (HSDPA). You are also underestimating 3G coverage in developing countries. 3G is booming in places like China, India, Thailand etc. Finally, Android is pushing hard to S40 price points and S40 could see similar drop as Symbian.

Edit: Had to check and cheapest Androids actually allready are below high end S40 models. And that is only going to get worse for Nokia, as Asian manufacturers keep pumping cheaper and cheaper generic Android hardware on the market.

C3-01 (S40) 169€

Huawei 8500 (Android) 143€

Last edited by Rauha; 2011-07-15 at 21:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
[...]places like China, India, Thailand etc. [...]
nope, not those...

Originally Posted by by James G on March 15, 2011
ELECTRONIC GEAR: Nokia – The AK-47 of Cell Phones
So when 3rd world rebels, bearded High-Speed low drag types, spies and Mercenaries need to make a call what phone do they pick-up? When I get the call to hop on a plane to some 3rd world war zone for a ridiculous amount of money what type of phone do I throw in my bag?

Sony Ericsson? No way, it’ll break in a week. Motorola? It won’t last 3 days before it breaks into two pieces. iPhone? **** no [I would rather use two tin cans and a string than anything “I” in the 3rd world.]

So what is my and just about every other operator’s choice for a cell phone if we will be working in some of the most hostile and hardest use environments in the world?

Nokia – any model

Yep, just about everyone I tell this too is surprised when I say “I would rather use a pay phone than use any cell phone but Nokia in a War Zone”. But walk around a base in Iraq or around a city in Africa and you will see what I am talking about. Nokia is one of the most prevalent phones in the third world, and for good reason.
war... the favorite game of mankind... that's where the money lies ¦-)

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
nope, not those...

war... the favorite game of mankind... that's where the money lies ¦-)
Those are S30 phones, not S40. And Nokia will not survive by selling 20-30€ phones in war zones.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Those are S30 phones, not S40. And Nokia will not survive by selling 20-30€ phones in war zones.
i won't say you are illiterate 'cuz that's gonn'a start another one of those "panicked chicken" round, but...
if you had read it (no f#cking way, i just finished myself & obviously had a head start...) you'd understand how WRONG you are
learn to read >:-)

Originally Posted by by James G on March 15, 2011
ELECTRONIC GEAR: Nokia – The AK-47 of Cell Phones

So when 3rd world rebels, bearded High-Speed low drag types, spies and Mercenaries need to make a call what phone do they pick-up? When I get the call to hop on a plane to some 3rd world war zone for a ridiculous amount of money what type of phone do I throw in my bag?

Sony Ericsson? No way, it’ll break in a week. Motorola? It won’t last 3 days before it breaks into two pieces. iPhone? **** no [I would rather use two tin cans and a string than anything “I” in the 3rd world.]

So what is my and just about every other operator’s choice for a cell phone if we will be working in some of the most hostile and hardest use environments in the world?

Nokia – any model

Yep, just about everyone I tell this too is surprised when I say “I would rather use a pay phone than use any cell phone but Nokia in a War Zone”. But walk around a base in Iraq or around a city in Africa and you will see what I am talking about. Nokia is one of the most prevalent phones in the third world, and for good reason.

Even the cheapest model is bullet proof, and oddly the cheaper the model you buy the tougher it is. One of the reasons why Nokia phones are so tough is Nokia’s main market is Asia, Southeast Asia in particular. Unlike in the US or Europe where people go from their homes to their car to their office - in Asia people jump onto the back of a kerosene and diesel fuming Tuck-Tuck, then to a bus or subway stuffed with 80 people then a 20 minute walk in a pothole covered street.

And Nokia knows if their phones can’t take that then simply people won’t buy their phones. In parts of Asia buying a cell phone is a big investment, so if word got around that Nokia made **** phones that fell apart then no one would buy one. So market pressures have forced them into making even the cheapest model tough as hell.

And people who work in the 3rd world in jobs that are extremely hard on electronics where communication can be a matter of life or death have learned that no other phone can take abuse and keep calling like a Nokia.

I remember one time I was jumping out of a Blackhawk in Balad, Iraq when my Nokia 9500 communicator [one of the first color screen qwerty keyboard cell phones] fell out of my pocket and smashed into 9 pieces on the ground. After chasing the pieces around the flight deck I snapped it back together right there, turned it on and called for my contact to pick me up.

And that is just one of a hundred stories I have heard and experienced about a Nokia phone taking mad damage and still working. I know guys who used them for years when the screen was cracked, the case held together with duct tape and the antenna cap missing with zero operational issues.

Another good operational aspect of using Nokia phones in the 3rd world is the ease of getting extra batteries, chargers and accessories. I swear every hajji shop in the Middle East has 20 types of Nokia chargers and plastic zippered carry cases. Seriously, you can buy a Nokia and 84 different accessories every two blocks in the 3rd world. That alone is a major reason why choosing a Nokia phone for overseas work is a no-brainer [there is no Golden Connex in the suck].

The next time you are watching a newscast during a coup or civil war pay attention, you will see dudes in the background chatting on Nokia phones or with one strapped to the shoulder strap of their LBE [an oddly popular way of carrying a Nokia in Latin America]. Hell, even Hollywood has caught on to the “guys who carry guns use Nokia’s, you will see Leonardo DiCaprio using one of the tougher older models in Body of Lies and tons of other movies. Hell, even James Bond uses a Nokia.

So whenever I pack my bags for a gig in some far off 3rd world hell-hole the first things that come out of storage and into my bag are my Nokia phones and a good pair of boots.
that's an "ecosystem" (in the truest meaning of the word) even that @$$O of Blamer won't be able to beat

i'll reopen the microeconomics lessons...
the cheaper & simpler the phone, the higher the margin, in %
sell a couple hundred millions units, across the world...
as the saying goes... even small cattle makes dung

EDIT: learn to (ac-)count too, while at it, maybe?

ps; let's simply call them... dumb phones, shall we?

Last edited by misterc; 2011-07-15 at 22:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
That quoted article talks about what phones to use when they're sent for field works in 3rd world countries, not about those living in the 3rd world countries themselves.

Android is getting huge in 3rd world countries. They're showing up in local brands (OEM-ed from china, obviously) at sub $100-150 price points.

Moreover, I should point out that most chinese knockoff phones make use of Nokia's battery and charging adapter specs. So you will find:

1. Many knock off Nokia batteries and adapters in such marketplace
2. They're not only intended for Nokia branded phones

Rhetorics (sometimes) makes interesting read, but they don't make facts out of fiction.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-07-17 at 05:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Android is getting huge in 3rd world countries. They're showing up in local brands (OEM-ed from china, obviously) at sub $100-150 price points.
Actually, some big name brands are getting very close to that point in less '3rd world'-y places too. See for example the Samsung GT I5500 or Acer beTouch E110.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Edit: Had to check and cheapest Androids actually allready are below high end S40 models.
What's the value of this comparison though? The S40 model is aimed at peope who want something simple and can afford to pay. The Huawei model is aimed at people who want a smartphone but can't afford to pay. I think neither of those are interesting for loads of people at developing countries.

Agreed, but perhaps someone should tell Nokia that :-/

Tags
bada rox, goodbye nokia, mantis boy, n9 rox, success: sold 7