Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
It should...
Ok, I will try to get it installed my N800.

The Following User Says Thank You to justvicious For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2019 @ Germany
Hello! YA Please ...
I got a (oldie, but goldie) Nokia N810 on Ebay.
Then I watched a video on Youtube demonstrating the impressing performance of the GarnetVM on this device.
It would be great if I could reactivate my old Tungsten T3 software on the Nokia.
But for hours I searched the Internet for a valid download link for the file

"garnet-vm_1.0.6b_ITOS2008_armel.deb"

in vain!!!

So I would thank you very much if some helpful member of this forum could send a valid download link to my
e-mail address gu.blu(at)ok.de

Best regards

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by gublu View Post
Hello! YA Please ...
I got a (oldie, but goldie) Nokia N810 on Ebay.
Then I watched a video on Youtube demonstrating the impressing performance of the GarnetVM on this device.
It would be great if I could reactivate my old Tungsten T3 software on the Nokia.
But for hours I searched the Internet for a valid download link for the file

"garnet-vm_1.0.6b_ITOS2008_armel.deb"

in vain!!!

So I would thank you very much if some helpful member of this forum could send a valid download link to my
e-mail address gu.blu(at)ok.de

Best regards
Check your email.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Check your email.
I am in two minds about this.

On one hand, I like the sentiment of helping a fellow human being, and considering the age of said software, the extent of the potential use base and the fact that you can no longer buy it legally anyway, I would not care too much about the morality of distributing commercial software without the copyright owner's consent.

On the other hand, you have just sent such software and revealed your email address to a new user after his/her first post. You know absolutely nothing about this new user. He/she may be a scammer who is only after your email. Or a mole trying to trick you into a legally grey area.

I am sure he/she is none of those things but we do not know that. 99.9999% of strangers are nice people but my parents still taught me not to talk to strangers when I was a kid.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2019 @ Germany
Check your email.
WOW! Thank you very much for your lightning-fast help!

The file is rather small in size (1.2MB).
Is additional software necessary for the installation (PalmOS ROM image)?

Once I tried StyleTap on a Symbian S60v5 phone; but it was rather ssslooow.

Is there anybody who could compare its performance with the GarnetVM on a Nokia N8X0?

Best regards

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
ok...
comparison...eh?
alright...

how about ...
"rather NOT ssslooow."

for the n8x0 ...
it works fine...I think...
but that is me.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-05-17 at 20:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
The file size for my garnet-vm_1.0.6b_ITOS2008_armel.deb original copy is 1287786 and its sha1sum is 18cbfd45761be343a4182968b286ab74511db6b9. If you wanted to verify your copy hasn't been tampered with...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
The file size for my garnet-vm_1.0.6b_ITOS2008_armel.deb original copy is 1287786 and its sha1sum is 18cbfd45761be343a4182968b286ab74511db6b9. If you wanted to verify your copy hasn't been tampered with...
That's good news my copy still checks out after it's been moved around so much. Do you happen to have sha1sum for the OS2009 verison? I get 078437fc469aa51ebc7d4915fae17a93239240f3 for my copy.

Do you happen to have sha1sum for the OS2009 verison?.
I don't have the OS2009 version.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
WOW! Thank you very much for your lightning-fast help!

Is additional software necessary for the installation (PalmOS ROM image)?

Once I tried StyleTap on a Symbian S60v5 phone; but it was rather ssslooow.

Is there anybody who could compare its performance with the GarnetVM on a Nokia N8X0?

Best regards
No additional ROM images are needed. All you need is whatever 3rd party apps you want for the virtual device. For me that's HandyShopper (and once upon a time, Pocket Quicken).

Don't let the size fool you. This is ~10-year-old software emulating what was then ~10-year-old hardware. The original Palm had 512k of memory . . . total. And that includes storage as well: OS and programs were executed in place, so storage and memory were one and the same. (None of this new-fangled "Harvard Architecture".) I think the garnet devices eventually grew to 16 MB -- my Visor Prism was 8MB.

I used the GVM on my N900 all the time and I never noticed any performance problems. I didn't put the N8x0 version through nearly as extensive testing, but I think you'll find the performance meets or exceeds the expectations of users of the original hardware.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: