Hey Everyone, I've tried searching this but maybe i'm not searching the correct terms.

I cannot figure out a way to organize photos in my Nokia N9. I have them all in folders that are labeled on the device but of course they are all grouped together by date. Of course I can go through and "Star" the ones I want grouped together, and than of course I can just view the ones taken with the camera.. But I have like 8 different categories and hundreds of photos I would like it to be organized in. Is there anyway to do this? I am a photographer so It helps if it's organized so I can show clients photos quick and easy.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know I appreciate any helpful feedback.

The Following User Says Thank You to frankd14321 For This Useful Post:
i am also interested in customizable photo organization

The Following User Says Thank You to asadkhan1988 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@frankd14321
Every modern device&service is moving beyond the limiting concept of "folders", to more flexible and usable concept of "tags". N9 is not an exception.
Just use tags to organize your photos. There are already existing ones on the device, but you can easily create your own. There are very convenient "geotags", that you can set to be automatically added via GPS to photos you take. Very nice if you want to capture memories(as most people do).
If you need for your work, just tag the photos as you wish. Very useful is the fact that one picture can be tagged with many different tags, not like the folders where a picture can belong to only 1 folder. Thus you can have a picture appear in all relevant categories you need it, e.g. "mountain" and "flowers" and "close ups". Possibilities are limitless.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
@frankd14321
Every modern device&service is moving beyond the limiting concept of "folders", to more flexible and usable concept of "tags". N9 is not an exception.
Just use tags to organize your photos. There are already existing ones on the device, but you can easily create your own. There are very convenient "geotags", that you can set to be automatically added via GPS to photos you take. Very nice if you want to capture memories(as most people do).
If you need for your work, just tag the photos as you wish. Very useful is the fact that one picture can be tagged with many different tags, not like the folders where a picture can belong to only 1 folder. Thus you can have a picture appear in all relevant categories you need it, e.g. "mountain" and "flowers" and "close ups". Possibilities are limitless.
I'm too lazy to check myself so I'll just ask:
- are the tags in pics metadata (ie, will I keep the tags when copying them)?
- can you multitag on the N9 (put the same tag to 600 pic at once), or do you need a desktop?

if no one knows I'll unlazy myself

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
@frankd14321
That's all well and good if you have only one OS. Folders work on all systems. Well, they should.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ New Zealand
@frankd14321 when in the gallery, there are three horizontal stripes to the far right of the bottom menu. The top item of this menu is filter by tags third item down is edit tags.

Edit tags, this brings up a menu that allows you to add tags to photos, select a image or multiple images and enter any data you want to associate with that image.

Filter by tags option allows you to view by the photos associated tag

@zlatko the idea that a folder can have only one item and is limiting is a wee bit of a gimmick, implementation of folders is the key. An item placed in a folder is a visual clue to us humans of the way in which we perceive data to be stored on a hard disk. Really it is just a pointer to where the item is stored in memory. Of course data can belong to more than one folder without being saved more than one time, just the pointer to the data’s location is associated with multiple folders.

Do I like the ideas of tags in the n9 gallery though, hell yeah it is a nice way of implementing pre-saved search.

Last edited by shanic89; 2012-01-27 at 20:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanic89 For This Useful Post:
Okay thank you to all, I saw the tags things but didn't really look into it much.

I would like to know, as mentioned by another, Will it keep on a backup? Say if I have to reset my N9 and backup my photos... and re-load them back on will it remained organized?

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
I recently reset my N9 and never thought to check my tags... did it now, they're safe and sound

The Following User Says Thank You to Watchmaker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@shanic89
Completely agree about folders. They are just pointers. The software can represent them in any way imaginable. But I am talking about concept and tags are much better to understand and use. Also they are originally not prsented as locations, but as a...just tags

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ New Zealand
@zlatko

I must admit that I have not looked into the N9 code yet, but it is possible that the implementation is the same as folders; it could be that visually we do not see it that way. It has its ups and downs. I like the fact that I do not have to organise by cut paste/drag drop/copy routine, but just by a naming feature, and it can be multiple tags to an image as well, nice concept.

It would be interesting to see if a tag is associated with an image, or if multiple images are associated with a distinct tag. Just moving an image out of the gallery to a different device then back again to see if the tag(s) are persistent would do it I guess. Has anyone looked at the meta data of an N9 image yet that would be interesting as well.

Ah, why I am on about this does anyone know how to remove tags from the N9?

The Following User Says Thank You to shanic89 For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n9, photowall