Quote PB : I am almost as annoying as the French, poke poke
what have the French have to do with 3.5 in screen, let us write an open letter to Nokia and Maemo team instead or who ever in charge and request some better info on the issue.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2009-05-30 at 19:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Un27Pee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Glasswalker View Post
with all respect, but this is insane.... I don't think it ist practicable to wave the device around wich includes the screen you are using to play.....
Everybody who plays games on the iPhone/iPod Touch does that, right? In fairness, that doesn't prove it's not insane, as they did buy Apple products, but they at least seem happy with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Everybody who plays games on the iPhone/iPod Touch does that, right? In fairness, that doesn't prove it's not insane, as they did buy Apple products, but they at least seem happy with it.
I haven't seen jumpig and bending Iusers, I've got to admit, but I've seen lots of people touching their pods/phones in ways that would make a person living in celibate blush ;-)

OK, seriously I can't imagine I would play mobile games that are that embarrasing. BTW: How could someone controll Wesnoth, SCUMM or Mahjungg with an accelerometer?

Regards,
Glasswalker

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Hey, mainstream is not the opposite of flop. In fact flop and mainstream operate on completely different planes.
I think my wording is still accurate. It's not a flop. It's not mainstream.

I'm not saying it's not successful. Nor am I saying that it's totally unsuccessful. And it's a geek's toy, but it's not ready for most people that don't even know what "root" is either; thus, not mainstream.

I'm aware of the differences therein; however not publishing something as minor as the sales - low expectations on the N800, which beat those expectations has been tossed around too.

Why low expectations? I'm quite sure the 770 didn't sell in the millions. The N800 might have broken some number that's more than 1 - that's the only guess I'll venture. But yes... I'm very aware of how "flop" and "mainstream" are separate metrics of a products perception.

As it stands, all I know is that this community, and myself, loves the NIT. Who else? And how many?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by totololo View Post
All of this is false, N810 is the best PDA I ever got ... but this is only true because of the community around Maemo.
PDA...? Yeah, best PIM ever...

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Oregon
There has been some talk how games will be controlled without a d-pad. Here is a good example. It is Metal Gear Solid on the Iphone. This is assuming that the N900 has a Capacitive touch screen that supports Multitouch. Which from reading this thread and it not having a D-pad suggests to me. You can skip to 2min 40 sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae00iK64EkU
They could also use a move able on-screen D-pad

Here is a trailer for one of the games included on the N900
"Bounce" it is controlled with the accelerometer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s81JUXd2RCc

Here is my song
"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it"
Pointer Sisters

Last edited by Team C; 2009-05-30 at 23:03.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Instead of steering with the d-pad, just put the steering wheel on the screen!

(Pole Position for the iPhone)

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Instead of steering with the d-pad, just put the steering wheel on the screen!

(Pole Position for the iPhone)
The only problem I've seen with most iPhones on screen controls is it means your fingers are now on the screen which

a) takes away screen real estate
b) can cover up the game (if controls are implemented poorly).

The Nintendo DS suffers from this problem occasionally.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The only problem I've seen with most iPhones on screen controls is it means your fingers are now on the screen which

a) takes away screen real estate
b) can cover up the game (if controls are implemented poorly).
Yes, that was my point!

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
On iPhone, race games uses the accelerometer quite well for direction, so you don't have always your fingers on screen ...

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile