The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
I think he lies, or is at least obfuscating the truth ...

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.
They can licence the brand in hardware not built by them, like Google, and get a fee for each device sold..... Sometimes I think they are planning a comeback in a more hardware-commoditized scenario.
Regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I think he lies, or is at least obfuscating the truth ...
I doubt he is. There's a difference giving the CEO speak on a 3rd party interview (you can't do any big company related announcement in such interview anyway that would affect the market value) and talking in your own capital markets day directly to investors about the company future.
Suri did say that Nokia can license Nokia brand to other manufacturers, if right deals come up.

The smartphone market is at the moment in a transition at becoming commodity market. Android first, and iOS/Apple later when the price difference between the platforms grows to be unsustainable in the coming years and the Apple experience is not enough to sustain it.
Going back to smartphones as a western company would be the stupidest thing ever for this company, with them finally getting rid off it all and being profitable with big bank.

Of course if Nokia would come out with something actually new, then that would be different thing. As in something related to their graphene R&D side.

Nokia is still seeking more benefits from HERE and their patent portfolio. So they will likely announce consumer device or plans tomorrow (it was 17th, right?) that ties it all more together, but they just wont be smartphones.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New York
What exactly the video is trying to say.

The Following User Says Thank You to adambrunam For This Useful Post: