Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Not quite.
Ubuntu Unity vision is still to deliver a pocketable PC that you can carry around and use as a phone (Ubuntu Phone skin), and dock it at home and work to big screen, keyboard and mouse an use as a full PC (Ubuntu Desktop skin).

Unfortunately Ubuntu Edge campaign failed, and phone manufacturers are not interested in this vision and build phone only devices.
Sorry, I was referring to relevant players (Apple / Android); as much as I hate to say this, Ubuntu vision is a minor player and IMO does not have the strength to shape the mobile industry yet.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
What about Pandora/Pyra?
You can't be serious. That thing not only looks ugly and bulky, but fragile too. And I don't think it could be used on the tram conveniently either.

On the other hand, an N810-like device with modern hardware would do the job well enough. The Neo900 comes to mind, but that is quite small for truly productive use.

(Although I was more productive on the N900 than on the N9 or the Jolla combined.)

A 5" device with a slide-out keyboard and an N950-like slider mechanism would be perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
You can't be serious. That thing not only looks ugly and bulky, but fragile too. And I don't think it could be used on the tram conveniently either.
But it exist. Contrary to some pie-in-the-sky projects.

And it works very well as a handheld gaming device for a tram.
I'm sure it is as good for "productivity" as a smaller N900, or even better. ;P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
And it works very well as a handheld gaming device for a tram.
I'm sure it is as good for "productivity" as a smaller N900, or even better. ;P
Sure, but the Pyra is not something I could use when I'm on-the-go, eg. on public transport.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Really, it seems that the N900 is something to a lot of people. Maybe we should open another thread to discuss exactly _what_ it is, since I'm not sure I get it.
There is one more thing Maemo did right, which MeeGo/Mer/SailfishOS didn't learn from - the apps ecosystem.

Maemo tapped the existing GTK+ apps ecosystem - it took a day or two of hacking to "Hildonize" a GTK+ app to work on Maemo device. And work pretty well.
Whereas in MeeGo line all apps needed to be created for scratch.

Compare the repos here for Maemo5 and the poor OpenRepos for MeeGo etc.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Sure, but the Pyra is not something I could use when I'm on-the-go, eg. on public transport.
Why?

What would it take for your imaginary device for you to be able to use it on public transport?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Why?

What would it take for your imaginary device for you to be able to use it on public transport?
It needs to remain usable with only one hand, when I use my other hand to hold on. Also, it needs to fit into my pocket.

There is one more thing Maemo did right, which MeeGo/Mer/SailfishOS didn't learn from - the apps ecosystem.

Maemo tapped the existing GTK+ apps ecosystem - it took a day or two of hacking to "Hildonize" a GTK+ app to work on Maemo device. And work pretty well.
Whereas in MeeGo line all apps needed to be created for scratch.

Compare the repos here for Maemo5 and the poor OpenRepos for MeeGo etc.
NOW we have a good argument here.
The portability of apps makes a whole lot of difference; although it's not a disruptive-type-of-feature; BB for example supports QT, Native, Adobe Air and android and we know how well that went.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
NOW we have a good argument here.
The portability of apps makes a whole lot of difference; although it's not a disruptive-type-of-feature; BB for example supports QT, Native, Adobe Air and android and we know how well that went.
The problem with BB10 was that it was too late. If it arrived earlier (even with a reduced feature set), its adoption rate would have been much better. Also, they never got around to supporting Qt5 properly...

By now, even Blackberry has succumbed to Android.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Check Sony VGN-UX.
I already have two of these, which is the reason I know how good the trackpoint idea is on that form factor. I even upgraded one of them with an SSD. i still keep an edge data line active just for it.

the only problem with these is the huge depth which makes it unpocketable. no doubt caused by the large laptop-sized fan which is also extremely noisy and almost always on.

also, i would like to try similar hw on a 3ds-like form factor, i.e. "landscape clamshell"

Last edited by javispedro; 2015-11-25 at 11:30. Reason: typos

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device