If the phone is idle (but still powered on) and not being used much while I'm at work except for the occasional text message, does it matter if I'm on 3G or 2G when it comes to battery life? I've already downloaded Wifi Switcher to turn off wifi to help even more. Anything else I can try? Thanks.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Southend On Sea , Uk
Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
If the phone is idle (but still powered on) and not being used much while I'm at work except for the occasional text message, does it matter if I'm on 3G or 2G when it comes to battery life? I've already downloaded Wifi Switcher to turn off wifi to help even more. Anything else I can try? Thanks.
2G uses much less power . I get about 6 more hours of battery life from switching to 2G .

The Following User Says Thank You to allmine1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Using E51 I've noticed that switching it to 2G only extended my idle time by 30-50%. I don't know how it will extend to other phones.
As for wifi I'm impressed with NITs wifi power optimisation. I've never seen anything like this in other devices (ie. being connected on-line for days one one charge).

Originally Posted by allmine1976 View Post
2G uses much less power . I get about 6 more hours of battery life from switching to 2G .
Thanks. I'll probably do a test during the night (only time I can stay off my phone long enough lol) with a fully charged battery using the battery-eye app. I'll do it two nights. One with 3G and one with 2G and post the results.

2g is less hungry, besides, if your 3g coverage is not stable and you see that the phone is switching back and forth, then it consumes more juice

Originally Posted by gfdsa View Post
2g is less hungry, besides, if your 3g coverage is not stable and you see that the phone is switching back and forth, then it consumes more juice
I have great 3G service where I am but if I'm not going to use it while I'm working and if you guys are telling me 2G will save some battery then I think I'll toggle it over to 2G only with the "3G/2G Mode Selection Applet" program I downloaded

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ berkshire, england
For the original question, at idle the consumption for 2g/3g should be similar as long as you have stable coverage and are literally at idle, which with a device like this is difficult unless as was noted you are asleep !

I have very good 3 or 3.5g coverage at work in the uk and can leave the handset at idle for 8 hours solid and it uses very marginal power at all .

the overnight test results would be very interesting to me

James