Is it possible to add the ability to receive emergency broadcasts to Sailfish OS? I'm not sure whether this is a global standard or a US-only thing but it appears to be supported by all android and ios phones. They usually go out for things like extreme weather warnings or amber alerts. Today I learned that my city has a curfew (due to the riots) and that I "should have received a notification on my phone", according to the local police.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Afaik those 'amber alerts' are a US thing. Definitely not here in Europe.
It is a kind of cell broadcast (GSM standard)? Which has never been really supported by German providers. I do remember on my S10 (around 2000) there was one cell info and time channel and an overall channel but I am afraid that even this is not sent out anymore.
SFOS does not support cell info, so I believe this is a soon(TM) to be implemented feature.

We do have (Android and iOS) apps like
NINA, KATWARN and DWD Warnwetter
(that do not really work on SFOS)

@taixzo
Maybe ask this question also over on TJ ?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2020-06-03 at 11:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Blackhawk Island
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I'm not sure whether this is a global standard or a US-only thing
There are provisions in ofono to support this type of broadcasts but they're either not used in SFOS or the type of broadcast you've been supposed to receive works in a different way.

https://github.com/rilmodem/ofono/bl...adcast-api.txt

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, España
this same question/request was posted on TJC back in 2014 with 56 votes, clearly nothing has materialised with regard to this type of early warning system. I seem to recall most Nokia phones hasd cell broadcast capability.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...dcast-support/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Is it possible to add the ability to receive emergency broadcasts to Sailfish OS? I'm not sure whether this is a global standard or a US-only thing but it appears to be supported by all android and ios phones. They usually go out for things like extreme weather warnings or amber alerts. Today I learned that my city has a curfew (due to the riots) and that I "should have received a notification on my phone", according to the local police.
I consider the lack of the "emergency" broadcasts to be a sort of spam filter, thus a benefit. My wife has a fruit-flavored device, and there's just no need to be awakened in the middle of the night for things that aren't timely, relevant or actionable. (I think Jon Oliver did a short bit on them.) Like, a kid went missing 250 miles away. That's bad, but not relevant to me since there not looking for him here, and not actionable, since there's nothing I can or should do about it right now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I consider the lack of the "emergency" broadcasts to be a sort of spam filter, thus a benefit. My wife has a fruit-flavored device, and there's just no need to be awakened in the middle of the night for things that aren't timely, relevant or actionable. (I think Jon Oliver did a short bit on them.) Like, a kid went missing 250 miles away. That's bad, but not relevant to me since there not looking for him here, and not actionable, since there's nothing I can or should do about it right now.
Then it should be configurable. Here in the Netherlands it's used for Amber alerts, but also in case of emergencies. In general, it's used with caution, and relevant to the area. The government does seem to understand that "spamming" the channel leads to people ignoring or disabling it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Blackhawk Island
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Then it should be configurable.
Have you tried subscribing to the dbus service? Would be interesting to see if ofono is receiving the broadcasts and there just isn't anything that processes them further or they're not received at all.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spag For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I thought of the same; if the broadcast is some specific cellular event then in order to see it at all ofono needs to recognize it. However testing it might prove difficult since at least in finland we don't have that kind of broadcasts at all...

If it is recognized by ofono then it should prove easy to write a presentation frontend for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by spag View Post
Have you tried subscribing to the dbus service? Would be interesting to see if ofono is receiving the broadcasts and there just isn't anything that processes them further or they're not received at all.
That's an interesting thought. With the N900, QueenBeeCon made watching dbus activity almost code-free, so I could see when any SMS came in (including clock updates, cell handoffs, all the boring behind-the-scenes network stuff that SMS was originally designed for before someone thought of piggybacking user texts for fun and profit). I've never found anything quite as easy to use for Sailfish, but maybe one of the dbus inspector apps can make it easy-ish. Provided you know when an alert is coming in . . . I wonder if there's a mandatory periodic test so a device knows it's not receiving alerts, like the NOAA weather radio alerts that send a mock "advisory" every Wednesday that resets weather radios' 8 day "haven't heard anything" alarms.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Then it should be configurable. Here in the Netherlands it's used for Amber alerts, but also in case of emergencies.
Next Monday would offer a chance to find out how the Dutch system works.

https://crisis.nl/nl-alert/ : "NL-Alert Controlebericht - Maandag 8 juni 2020 rond 12.00 uur zendt de overheid een NL-Alert controlebericht uit in heel Nederland."

What method to use? I found ofono as a system bus service that may be privileged. https://sailfishos.org/wiki/D-Bus_AP...m_bus_services

Last edited by rob_kouw; 2020-06-04 at 08:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:

Tags
feature request, missing feature, notification