Not difficult to build packages at all. The biggest roadblock is autobuilder and waiting for repository propagation.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
[CODE]ah, and imagemagick?
+1 imagemagick is super useful

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by dagoss View Post
I'll buy you another. Installing alpine is one of the first things I wanted to do with my n900—I can't stand the built in mail client. (I'd also like to remove quite a few of these pre-installed programs that clutter up my menu, but that's another story).

Anecdotally, how difficult *is* it to build a package to work on the n900? I am by no means a programmer, hacker, or someone who can tie their own shoes, but there are quite a few packages I want on my n900 that aren't in the repos to the best of my knowledge, like cmus, newsbeuter, and links2.
It's not very hard if you have at least some experience compiling programs on a linux machine. If you get stuck (as I have several times) there's almost always someone who will help you on the maemo IRC channel.

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Run this to add Root, Update and Upgrade buttons in X-term.

gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Esc,Root,Update,Upgrade]"
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Esc,S\,U\,D\,O\,KP_Space\,G\,A\,I\,N\,R\,O\,O\ ,T\,KP_Enter,A\,P\,T\,minus\,G\,E\,T\,KP_Space\,U\ ,P\,D\,A\,T\,E\,KP_Enter,A\,P\,T\,minus\,G\,E\,T\, KP_Space\,U\,P\,G\,R\,A\,D\,E\,KP_Enter]"

Last edited by Eminem; 2011-06-30 at 17:42.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
To the alpine requesters:

I have put a tentative first version into the autobuilder. No guarantees as to whether or not it will work, or work right/fully. (Though by the time I finished typing this, it finished building successfully in the autobuilder, so that's something.) It also won't be optified. I didn't get a chance to test in my scratchbox because my scratchbox environment for some reason decided to just fail to connect to the maemo.org repository, so I wasn't able to get some of the build dependencies locally just yet, and thus wasn't able to build locally or install on-device (without quite a lot of pain-in-the-*** fiddling).

So don't install if you're not willing to risk something getting badly ****ed up just yet. If scratchbox wasn't being such a pain, I'd test more before submitting, but since it is, I'm testing by putting it up in -devel. But, hey, that's the point of -devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Name:  Screenshot-20110702-183105.jpg
Views: 3380
Size:  25.1 KB

Right now apt-get can't install alpine for some reason ("E: Handler silently failed") - but the package is downloadable from the package interface online. Then you just have to manually install what dependencies are still needed. _Seems_ to me like it's working, but I've never used alpine (though something tells me I'm about to learn to), so some brave tester who has should get their hands dirty with it. Meanwhile, I'll go fix the section from the one the source code suggested for .deb packages (non-free/mail) to something Maemo 5 officially-compatible (like user/network). Maybe that'll fix the apt-get dying issue...

After we're sure that works, next up will be optifying the entire thing.

- Edit 2 -
Version 2.00-maemo2 is in the autobuilder now... Has the section fixed. HOPEFULLY it'll install normally with apt-get now. It'll also show up in the application managers, so I need to get an icon on it that indicates it's a command-line-only app soonish, so as to not get flooded with newbs. I'm also making a thread on the subject now, so that we don't keep hijacking this one. Here.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-07-02 at 23:10. Reason: Fixed link

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Eminem View Post
Run this to add Root, Update and Upgrade buttons in X-term.

gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Esc,Root,Update,Upgrade]"
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Esc,S\,U\,D\,O\,KP_Space\,G\,A\,I\,N\,R\,O\,O\ ,T\,KP_Enter,A\,P\,T\,minus\,G\,E\,T\,KP_Space\,U\ ,P\,D\,A\,T\,E\,KP_Enter,A\,P\,T\,minus\,G\,E\,T\, KP_Space\,U\,P\,G\,R\,A\,D\,E\,KP_Enter]"

I issued the above commands, and now my X-term will no longer produce Escape when I hit "Esc". Does anyone know how to fix that? Does anyone know how to modify the rx-51 file to map the EuroSign key to produce Escape instead? I've mapped the PoundSterling key to "|" (for handy piping), but can't get the keyboard to produce Escape.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2011-07-09 at 04:54.