Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
well, for me, I will stick to VKB, mainly because I almost never would have a need for anything else. My primary use of Jolla is working in terminal.
Well, this makes a lot of sense. I hadn't considered that as a use-case. As for me, I like to keep my work out of my personal device, so my terminal-on-Jolla usage is limited to doing occasional tweaks/package admin, making some symbolic links or perhaps some file transfers.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
On the topic...
Swype isn't the only implementation of "smear your finger around to write words"... When I was using Android I used SwiftKey, which was way better than any stock VKB, even when they didn't have Flow (their implementation of Swype) yet.
Just look at this layout. All the needed punctuation at hand (Having to switch to symbols just to enter question mark is lame). Double space is dot. Consecutive space compression.

There's so much place for improvement even without Swype.

Also, one size does not really fit all. Chat/E-Mail keyboard is so different to Terminal keyboard, that judging chat keyboard on merits that it sucks with term is just... invalid.
Fortunately we already have great! terminal keyboard. Let's focus on standard text keyboard, which is not top-notch ATM.

Last edited by smoku; 2014-07-12 at 00:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
well, for me, I will stick to VKB, mainly because I almost never would have a need for anything else. My primary use of Jolla is working in terminal.
Still, in general, I also like the option, which Iam pretty sure the majority will be using once You release.
Isn't the Sailfish terminal Fingerterm?

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
On the topic...
Swype isn't the only implementation of "smear your finger around to write words"... When I was using Android I used SwiftKey, which was way better than any stock VKB, even when they didn't have Flow (their implementation of Swype) yet.
Just look at this layout. All the needed punctuation at hand (Having to switch to symbols just to enter question mark is lame). Double space is dot. Consecutive space compression.

There's so much place for improvement even without Swype.

Also, one size does not really fit all. Chat/E-Mail keyboard is so different to Terminal keyboard, that judging chat keyboard on merits that it sucks with term is just... invalid.
Fortunately we already have great! terminal keyboard.
Yes. I'm actually OK with the terminal input on Jolla. I don't use it enough to have great ideas about how it could be improved, but when I do use it I think it's pretty good. The terminal itself seems to be missing some stuff (can't remember what right now so please don't ask), but I don't use it enough for that to be a big problem.

Let's focus on standard text keyboard, which is not top-notch ATM.
By standard, do you mean "hunt n' peck for English/other language" keyboard for SMS, email, etc.?

It's writing things in English on the current vkbd that I currently try to avoid doing on my Jolla, and I don't just think that it's a lousy layout, although that is a factor.

I find that even with the word predictions (more like corrections, if I want to type at any speed at all) it's currently a slow, frustrating and RSI-inducing experience, for me at least. Same on the N9 until PR1.2 (or whichever) which introduced Swype.

Solution for my woes? It doesn't have to be Swype, as there may well be better solutions, but Swype is what I know from the N9 and it revolutionised how I entered prose into a mobile device.

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-07-13 at 06:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
By standard, do you mean "hunt n' peck for English/other language" keyboard for SMS, email, etc.?
[...]
I find that even with the word predictions (more like corrections, if I want to type at any speed at all) it's currently a slow, frustrating and RSI-inducing experience, for me at least. Same on the N9 until PR1.2 (or whichever) which introduced Swype.
Yes. I mean the keyboard to enter text in email, sms, notes, etc.

I feel your woes, as I share them.
What I mean, that even hunt n' peck can be just fine if done well. I advise you to try something like SwiftKey - it's a pleasant experience even with "Swype" mode disabled. It uses the similar proximity based correction algorithm, which does not blindly suggest you corrections based on dictionary, but if the correction is very probable (i.e. you presses 'r' instead of 'e', and word with 'r' does not make sense) it just corrects you in place without asking once you press space. I also guess they use analysis on how probable is that two letters could be used besides, and base corrections on this. I think it even applies it live to select proper letter when you pressed three buttons at once with your big, fatty finger. Even if it does it wrong (highly improbable), it can be fixed at the final correction.
Possibly some other clever methods that I could not think out.
Also it learns as you type. If you manually enter a word out of dictionary it is added to the dictionary. It learns how often do you use particular words, and weights corrections on this. It even analyses all your sent e-mails and sms on installation to prepopulate that knowledge.
Even in hunt n' peck it "just works" with little errors.

Last edited by smoku; 2014-07-13 at 07:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
So... The website of Swype just got hacked......

We should ask the hackers to place a news on that hacked website about having Swype for Jolla

http://www.swype.com/

edit: aww the website is back up again

Last edited by HtheB; 2014-07-14 at 09:07.

It uses the similar proximity based correction algorithm, which does not blindly suggest you corrections based on dictionary, but if the correction is very probable (i.e. you presses 'r' instead of 'e', and word with 'r' does not make sense) it just corrects you in place without asking once you press space.
This autocorrect behaviour is the worst thing ever happened to VKBs (luckily it can be disabled). Phone should not change what I typed, because that forces me to read everything I type. At least with Finnish it often totally changes the meaning of word you were typing, especially when writing with dialect. And just look at all the autocorrection jokes out there...

Way Jolla does word prediction/correction is just perfect for me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TemeV For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by TemeV View Post
This autocorrect behaviour is the worst thing ever happened to VKBs (luckily it can be disabled). Phone should not change what I typed, because that forces me to read everything I type. At least with Finnish it often totally changes the meaning of word you were typing, especially when writing with dialect. And just look at all the autocorrection jokes out there...

Way Jolla does word prediction/correction is just perfect for me.
In French, a common autocorrection of the world "demain" (which means "tomorrow") is "fellation". You'd better read everything you type. :]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
SwiftKey is learning that you prefer "tomorrow" over "fellation", and once you manually pick "tomorrow" once, you don't have to worry anymore. Of course now you need to pick "fellation" manually as it gets postponed to "tomorrow" ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Hello !
Any chance to test this beautiful swipe vkb ?

Thanks !

The Following User Says Thank You to titilambert For This Useful Post:

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype