Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by toki View Post
and even when u [enable swipe from left to go to eventsview], when u swipe again u go back to home screen rather than the app u were just in)
There is a patch for that

and previous on sailfish1.0, the peak was used to look at the time/date/battery etc
now I have no use for the peek feature on sailfish2.0...
Eh? The peek does the same thing as before! In fact it is more useful now as you have all the info neatly in one place.

and I miss the swipe down to lock...
There is a patch for that too!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There is a patch for that
Yes, but it's far from perfect and is still inferior to the previous behavior. In Sailfish UI 1.x, one could be in the Events view and still be one swipe both from the app (bottom swipe) and from the multitasking view (side swipe). With this patch (however I'm thankful for it), it's either or.

Eh? The peek does the same thing as before! In fact it is more useful now as you have all the info neatly in one place.
No, it doesn't! I can't remember the last time I checked time using the peak gesture in Sailfish UI 2.0 - the tiny icons are barely readable and the usability is nowhere close to Sailfish UI 1.x.

Before, it was very easy to see the large time and large indicators. Now the tiny text and icons are very hard to see with the wallpaper behind it. And the online status undicator is also gone (plus bluetooth indicator is often missing even if bluetooth is on) - if Jolla decided to remove the current status bar altogether, I would barely notice.

If you add how apps now freeze while peaking (so slight peaking to see the Clock app cover while watching a video is no longer possible), it means the peak gesture is pretty much gone.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Never been a fan of 'there's an app for that' or 'there's a patch for that' on my mobile.
Jolla should deliver 'more personalisation to adjust the system to your needs' by options. So far they have only announced more personalization in 2.0 but instead served changes only.

Peek looks cool to show off and underlined the geniality of the swipe based task switcher, how and why it is used should also be a matter related to personalization.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Never been a fan of 'there's an app for that' or 'there's a patch for that' on my mobile.
Jolla should deliver 'more personalisation to adjust the system to your needs' by options.
But that basically means that they should implement every eventuality you could possibly imagine. Not only would they need a crystal ball to do that, they would also need infinite resources, both human (read: developers' time) and on the phone (software size).

I think it is good enough to provide an environment that is flexible enough to adjust to your needs. If the means of adjusting are provided off-the-shelf, good. If they require installing an additional piece of sooftware, also good.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I don't get why can't the peeks fade animation be linear, there's always this delay, leaving an impression that the touchscreen is not responding. Feels broken and awkward to use.

As with lock screen swipe direction - horizontal swipe moves the clock up! I mean, visual cues are there for a reason, why decidedly confuse an user.

And right aligned headers - yuck!
App drawer doesn't really need a handle, least the ugly one.
Otherwise, v2 feels bearable.

Nice to have an accessible app drawer.

Also, i'd like to have a way to quickly switch between last two active apps without going through homescreen selector, it is most useful in customized android i have. Maybe bottomedgeswype?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
Some suggestions for Sailfishos2.0

Bring back app cover swipe action and hence event view Only can be pull out by swiping from the right/left edge

Bring back swiping vertically to unlock locked screen

App launcher can Only be pull up by swiping from bottom edge, hate that "handle" for app launcher

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
Some suggestions for Sailfishos2.0
.\
....hate that "handle" for app launcher
Yes, but how else could you possibly know where the apps are?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
But that basically means that they should implement every eventuality you could possibly imagine.
Of course it is not the point to have all possible combo's included including those that get the users stuck in uncontrollable OS with only factory reset as a way out.

I am quite happy with the eventualities Jolla had imagined for me.

Equally I was quite happy with Window XP for 8 years. I have been happy with Maemo 5 inteface for almost 6 years. When such loved systems get changed somewhat more people than the count that is willing to install patches and fixes get vocal. It happens all the time.

Jolla should have known when after only 2 short years with a limited user base on SFOS 1.0 they decided:

1) the previous UI was just not good enough

2) announce a version 2.0 with "even more personalization options"

-> really you should check this line from Jolla. I did not write it, Jolla did:

"There are now even more options enabling you to personalize the phone according to your needs. One example is defining the behavior of the top edge swipe gesture: you can choose to keep it as an ambience switcher or change it to close apps directly with one top swipe (like before)."

https://blog.jolla.com/sailfish-os-2-0-now-available/

Till here it all sounds great!

3) Then proceed to not offer any personalization options besides the off the record: go find some patch and hope it is not interfering with other patch.

Where does that leave me ?

There are only 4 directions to swipe from the borders.

Yet I can configure 1 only, somewhat to "like before" (if I recall correctly from my days testing 2.0 preview)

I think it is good enough to provide an environment that is flexible enough to adjust to your needs. If the means of adjusting are provided off-the-shelf, good. If they require installing an additional piece of sooftware, also good.
But not good enough for my needs, sorry.

2.0 displays panic football interface design that is usable but does not live up to the expectations of "Sailfish evolved".

Sure, people can now be delighted after discovering long awaited functionalities in the event view (like action shortcuts) but in truth, those are not special Jolla 2.0 virtues, but rather long awaited parts to complete the somewhat empty feeling Sailfish 1.0 just like the missing SIP interface functionality still is.
It is just like putting fresh sugar on an old cake that has been cut.

May I wonder if Mark Dillon is out somewhere attending meetings drawing the future of mobile in front of him laying a Sailfish OS 2.0 phone? And if so, how many patches does HE have installed?

Sorry for those that put their valuable time in creating and maintaining those patches but my I ask if you go here and vote?

https://together.jolla.com/question/...-to-the-users/

Besides that, I am pleased with what I have.

And to follow up on earlier notice about instability from users here: long time ago I have solved my battery problem causing reboots with the paper trick, later Polar Cell battery with tighter fit , solved my SIM holder issue causing pin code requests or sim disappearing (Jolla repair).

Throughout heavy daily use my somewhat battered Jolla has made good friends with my keys in jeans pocket.
Uptime 13 days 15hrs. And I did not do anything to babysit it.
Used Here maps on Android a lot. Also Firefox,
No patches installed.
Running 1.1.7.28 the Sailfish OS Rock solid. I will now think more than twice to upgrade this system.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
hate that "handle" for app launcher
If that handle bothers you then you have too few problems in your life

The only thing I would like changed in the home screen is that jumping of the first line of the launcher icons every time you touch the screen. That is not just aesthetics, it is causing serious issues with a patch I am trying to develop.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The more possible options are implemented to suit every single user's 'needs', the more you end up with a system like KDE, where you can almost literally configure the behaviour of every pixel, but no matter which configuration options you choose, it never works well/looks good. If you like using such an incredible mess of a system, I don't know how to help anymore.

If the defaults aren't sane, not even a million configuration options will make it better. If you think a certain behaviour is clearly better than another one, and you can demonstrate this and explain why, that behaviour should be the default, and there should be no option to have it any other way.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post: