Active Topics

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Okay, I know this sounds stupid, but I absolutely can't figure out how to set my ring tone on the N900.

I see the ring tones folder in my home directory with tone mp3 files in it but I can't find any dialog to change from the default Nokia tone theme.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
you go to settings->profiles there are 2 profiles. silent and general. if you click one and scroll down you can enter tones for ring tone, IM tone, sms tone and other things like touch screen sounds.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cherrypie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Beat me to it Cherry.

Settings > Profiles > Select "Ringing tone", "SMS Alert", "IM Tone", or "E-mail alert". You can also "add" a new ringing tone or message alert tone.

Here's the User-Manual, if you don't have it! It explains it on there as well as everything else

Last edited by God; 2009-11-28 at 00:42.

I have downloaded several ringtones from some apps that search for them. I can change my ringtone by person calling or just the general one just fine. What I am trying to do is change the tone for texts or IM and the other ones you can change but my only choices are the default tones and not any of the ones I downloaded. Any idea how to change those to the downloaded ones as well?

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Okay, I know this sounds stupid, but I absolutely can't figure out how to set my ring tone on the N900.

I see the ring tones folder in my home directory with tone mp3 files in it but I can't find any dialog to change from the default Nokia tone theme.

just go to your media player... open songs....long click on the song you want as ringtone....you will get an option to set it as ringtone.....select it without taking your finger off the screen....and everyting is done

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
I am hoping it would have been sorted by now.
2 and a half years later....

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

How can we assign different ringtones to different incoming numbers?

There is 'Custom ringtones for your contacts' (per-contact-ringtones) in the repos. I never tried it though.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
There is 'Custom ringtones for your contacts' (per-contact-ringtones) in the repos. I never tried it though.
afaik it's quite buggy and it takes ages to actually hear someone is calling you (when someone's calling, the old ringtone is disposed, new one is loaded and played - it takes time), so it's not really a solution.