Notices

I just got a n900 and of course I really wanted to be able to talk to my linux samba server and I wanted truecrypt (ntfs tc volume) support.

I first experimented with building the samba package (appears it requires kernel cifs support to actually mount anything) -- I might submit this as it is working package afaik, later.

Then I experimented with fuse samba/smb modules. (Couldn't get them to mount properly.)

So I finally went the kernel route (first time messing with Kernel, I was a bit leary). But I got both cifs.ko and ntfs.ko compiled and working. However, I don't see an "easy" way to make a debian package to handle the compiling of this automatically. Should I perhaps make a debian pre-compiled package for cifs and ntfs? Or is their a better way to distribute this?

Cifs, ntfs, and now Truecrypt are now real packages in the extras-testing/devel.

---

To activate cifs kernel support (this is only for this bootup).
Code:
insmod cifs.ko
to make it active always on bootup:
Code:
echo start on startup > /etc/event.d/cifs
echo exec modprobe cifs >> /etc/event.d/cifs
to remove it from memory:
Code:
rmmod cifs
To Mount/Map the drive Use
Code:
mount -t cifs //<server>/<path> /<your>/<local>/<path> -o user=<user>,pass=<pass>,ip=<ip of server>,direct

or

mount.cifs //<server>/<path> /<your>/<local>/<path> -ouser=<user>,pass=<pass>,ip=<ip of server>,direct
You may not need ",ip=<ip of server>" But for some reason I've always had to use it. You can also use the "mount -t cifs" command with the -t cifs option, instead of using "mount.cifs".

The "direct" parameter will speed up your connection as long as your network is fast. This eliminates buffering in your n900 cif driver. In my tests the speed doubled.

---

You need Fuse Installed for Truecrypt to work.

For Truecrypt support:

Code:
truecrypt <tc container> <mount point> -m nokernelcrypto
If your TC container is formated ntfs, you will need to do the insmod ntfs.ko first. Otherwise fat & ext3 should be handled fine.

---

I've attached them to the post for those who are interested. EasyCrypt might work with truecrypt; I haven't tried it yet.

----

The new version of WizardMounter -->
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44188

Nathan
Attached Files
File Type: gz mount.cifs.gz (13.1 KB, 679 views)
File Type: gz ntfs.ko.gz (105.3 KB, 541 views)
File Type: gz cifs.ko.gz (116.5 KB, 694 views)

Last edited by Nathan; 2010-02-12 at 21:35. Reason: Notes of WizardMounter release

The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Use the packages in Extras-Testing for easy installation.

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan; 2010-01-20 at 07:01.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Don't know how to package this. Just wanted to say: nice work!

does maped drive stays after the reboot? how fast is the transfer rate on wlan?

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Great work, it works!

Maybe it is also handy to have 'umount.cifs' compiled?

I have created a mount (/mnt/share) to my server and I want this to link to /home/user/MyDocs/share:

ln -s /mnt/share /home/user/MyDocs/share

But 'operation is not permitted', why? (I'm logged in as root)

/mnt/share /home/user/MyDocs/ is a FAT filesystem. No symbolic links possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
And if you would change this FAT filesystem to ext3, this partition wouldn't be accesible anymore with a 'mass storage' usb connection to MS Windows, right?

Originally Posted by asidana View Post
does maped drive stays after the reboot?
Not by default, but you can do so with a little bit of editing of files. You basically need to make cifs become a startup module and then edit the mounting file.

how fast is the transfer rate on wlan?
Speed, very fast. Very stable too, for some reason my Wireless router is acting up so I was constantly having to disconnect/reconnect and my mount point stayed and worked (and recovered) through the disconnects/reconnects.

Nathan.

Originally Posted by digitalvoid View Post
Great work, it works!
Maybe it is also handy to have 'umount.cifs' compiled?
I'll see what I can do (I rebricked my dev environment), but I believe plain "umount" will work also.

Nathan.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
how do you access it via default file browser then? does file manager see your share like it sees MyDocs as N900 and Memory card?

As a linux noob my ideal solution would be to run a script (or better auto mount) then get file manger to see it so i can browse around. Is it possible?

The Following User Says Thank You to asidana For This Useful Post:

Tags
cifs, ntfs, samba, smb, truecrypt