I've noticed that there's a hole inside the stylus compartment, near the mic.

It would be nice to hack some way to add a sensor there to detect the stylus presence triggering the notification led to warn that the stylus is missing.

ATTENTION: I know that it's only a crazy idea, doable only if we have some free hardware input port on the device, and excessive willpower :P . (Also, I read the fun threads about one putting GPS on stylus and swapping the LCD for LED screen, and I know how "funny" people are here )

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Record the sound of the stylus sliding in and out, and use those audio fingerprints so the system will match those triggers to the events you want.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK, London
Just buy a spare stylus.

It's easier, quicker and maybe even cheaper.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Next someone will request for a sensor to let you know your phone is still in your pocket?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Record the sound of the stylus sliding in and out, and use those audio fingerprints so the system will match those triggers to the events you want.
Maybe this can be adapted to the pocket solution posted minutes ago

Originally Posted by kevinp93 View Post
Just buy a spare stylus.
It's easier, quicker and maybe even cheaper.
Already ordered
It's cheaper, just not so fun :P

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
yeh that IS a crazy idea..

crazier than that n900fly app??:P

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Bacco View Post
I've noticed that there's a hole inside the stylus compartment, near the mic.
By the way, how did you notice the hole inside the sylus compartment, near the mic? If you are referring to the part just 0.9mm from the stylus entry hole, mine looks like a metal strip covering that 'hole'. I can't see anything further in.

If you're referring to the hole at the other end of the stylus (next to the USB charger), i think that's for the wrist strap.

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
By the way, how did you notice the hole inside the sylus compartment, near the mic? If you are referring to the part just 0.9mm from the stylus entry hole, mine looks like a metal strip covering that 'hole'. I can't see anything further in.

If you're referring to the hole at the other end of the stylus (next to the USB charger), i think that's for the wrist strap.
In fact the hole I saw near the mic, but inside the stylus compartiment, contains some kind of spring with a plastic tip that helps the stylus stay in place (confirmed by some open n900 pictures, don't remember the exact thread)