Active Topics

Hi Wildgoose, there is already an RPN calculator in Ovi Store
http://store.ovi.com/content/205187?...e=search&pos=2

jnwi, I'm glad your scientific calculator is under development. It looks good. But maybe a square root button for those who are clueless that it is the same as ^0.5? You can also save some keys by putting related functions on one key (like sin, asin) and using a 'shift' button. Btw, what is the purpose of the <- button?

Originally Posted by Paul Ortyl View Post
How many lists of requested apps do we need?

Here are some:

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3681
http://n9-apps.com/app-requests
Hi Paul, developers hang out in different forums so more app request threads in different forums are not a waste. Thanks for alerting me to forum.meego.com. Btw, the app request thread in N9 apps is not a developers' forum so I doubt it is much use.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
jnwi, I'm glad your scientific calculator is under development. It looks good. But maybe a square root button for those who are clueless that it is the same as ^0.5? You can also save some keys by putting related functions on one key (like sin, asin) and using a 'shift' button. Btw, what is the purpose of the <- button?
The swiping action already performs the task of a shift function, and I have two full pages of buttons. I think feature creep would really ruin ease of use. Maybe I could add a tip that points out how to do roots.

<- is Backspace. I've been considering adding Left and Right buttons as well, but left them out so far to save space.

Edit: and btw, the target audience for my apps is advanced users who want a nice UI. I don't like it how most apps with a good UI are optimized for beginners. Using x^(1/r) for roots instead of adding a button to save space is an optimization that should work for that group.

Not saying my app is perfect or anything, but those are my goals anyway...

Last edited by jnwi; 2011-11-05 at 10:54.

Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
The swiping action already performs the task of a shift function, and I have two full pages of buttons. I think feature creep would really ruin ease of use. Maybe I could add a tip that points out how to do roots.

<- is Backspace. I've been considering adding Left and Right buttons as well, but left them out so far to save space.
jnwi,

I agree, keeping a lid on features is the way to go. But surely you can spare a button for the square root /cube root functions which are very commonly used for the sake of convenience? All physical scientific calculators have at least a sqrt key. Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Unfortunately < means "less than" and - means "minus" in maths so using <- as a back symbol can be confusing to a new user. It also looks a little ugly. I would suggest using a proper arrow graphic.

EMAIL client!!!!

I have just stumbled upon missing feature in the built-in email client: you cannot quote an email on reply. The email is shown, but read-only and without copy&paste functionality.
I have submitted a bug for this: http://www.developer.nokia.com/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=621 (please vote!)

I have two quick and dirty solutions:

1. Could please someone package mutt for N9? Vi is there as editor, and is way better than what the email client serves...

2. Port modest to N9? (this wont probably be that quick...)

Why not just use SSH for #3?

Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
Why not just use SSH for #3?
Because editing files remotely over GPRS connection is no fun at all. Been there, done that,

<rant>
Answering email should take 30 seconds to a minute, not 15 minutes while waiting for ssh to wake up after each lost IP packet. Interactive session over TCP is really very annoying when some IP packets get lost on the way.
</rant>

Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
cant wait for the ebuddy for n9!

i wish to have

1.google map not from google
2.vpn
3.youku.com

how about one more,QQ?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
jnwi,

I agree, keeping a lid on features is the way to go. But surely you can spare a button for the square root /cube root functions which are very commonly used for the sake of convenience? All physical scientific calculators have at least a sqrt key. Anyway, this is just my opinion.
Actually, I really can't. Not without adding a third page of buttons. Maybe if I remove the pi-button... How important do people consider that?

Unfortunately < means "less than" and - means "minus" in maths so using <- as a back symbol can be confusing to a new user. It also looks a little ugly. I would suggest using a proper arrow graphic.
This and landscape mode will arrive in the next patch

My opinion would be that most of the advanced functions you click once and then back to the main number pad, eg normally you do a calculation then hit "sin()" or ^x or whatever.

So I would have thought you treat the second screen like a symbol screen. Numbers on one page, switch for the less common functions, as soon as you click one it flicks back to the numbers pad? Check out the screenshot I sent before of the Mac calculator, I think it does a very good job of splitting the buttons into common/less common and the two groups of digits would make two very nice screens that you could swipe left/right to?

Just a thought?