Active Topics

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
thought I should share this with you folks.
nice video of the different screens of the nokia n900.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xah...-complete_tech

at about 7 min into the video while displaying the phone dialing and auto rotation of it , I was a little disturbed to see the lag and then a restart !

I simply love this phone and im eagerly waiting for it, somebody tell me this isnt true, i understand some of you do have the devices, its going to be a terribly kept secret ,these flaws, if it really exists in production models, though I do understand the one in the video may not be.
Really dont want to see another disaster like the n97 ! especially when other phone manufacturers are throwing in a collection of their android's and WinMo's.

Last edited by krk969; 2009-09-25 at 07:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
The video was posted amongst one of the theards. Within the post there was two vidoes in French.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Paris, France
Thanks.

The video is about 40 minutes long, but in truth it is only 20 minutes long, as the same video is repeated in the file. Repetita juvant!

Pity they didn't have Internet connection: I am still looking for a really good demonstration of the browser.

Still a prototype though...

Regards,
Antonio

One of the best videos in terms of detail that I've seen. Too bad I can't speak French...

Some interesting things I noticed about this video:

1. It's the first time I've seen the device crash.

2. The transitions, especially draw in/draw out zooms and fades, need serious work. I really hope these stuttering/hesitation issues are ironed out before release.

3. The spiral zoom doesn't work outside of the browser.

4. The music player seemed slow to load a song and album art.

5. They appeared to expect the device to work in portrait. Just saying...

I realize it's a prototype and I could easily live with most of those things. The lag being the only possible exception. I'm surprised I don't see this issue talked about more often. Are my expectations of smooth transitions that unrealistic?

Overall though, it still looks fantastic and I'm excited to own it.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by JayBomb999 View Post
Some interesting things I noticed about this video:

1. It's the first time I've seen the device crash.

2. The transitions, especially draw in/draw out zooms and fades, need serious work. I really hope these stuttering/hesitation issues are ironed out before release.

3. The spiral zoom doesn't work outside of the browser.

4. The music player seemed slow to load a song and album art.

5. They appeared to expect the device to work in portrait. Just saying...
6. It used a lot of battery for just 20 minutes of usage

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The transition between portrait and landscape for the phone app seemed particularly slow, e.g. around 7.10 (right before it crashes!). Hopefully that will be fixed in final release too.

There appear to be at least two different methods for fading out the background when a dialog box pops up. Usually the background blurs out, but in the camera app (around 11.00) it just fades and/or looks like a dithering effect is used. Maybe the latter is less CPU- or GPU-intensive so is used in certain situations.

Re: the battery, that is a little worrying. Although I notice they have the brightness turned to max and the device did reboot once during the demo, which with previous tablets caused the battery indicator to lose a chunk (whether due to really losing a chunk of charge or bad reporting, I'm not sure).

Last edited by pelago; 2009-09-26 at 20:37.