I unpacked the data.tar.gz to find:

|-usr
|-----doc
|-------kernel-framebuffer-flasher

Inside kernel-framebuffer-flasher, I find the below:

-rw------- 1493 Jul 1 2010 copyright
-rw------- 606220 Jul 1 2010 changelog.Debian

i did not find any vmlinuz...

f**k. Can You please send me this whole file (by any means), so I can inspect it myself?

In meantime, you should try my suggestion from few posts above:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=117
...because that would allow You to just use kernel-power and activate fbcon via editing preinit.

Still, I'm not quite sure how You could install kernel modules in non-bootable state (unless You have KP already installed, if yes, which version?), so I think contacting framebuffer kernel maintainer is still good idea.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Amstelveen
No I dont have kernel power (I dont rem installing anything like that). So does that mean I can directly flash/boot my device with the vmlinuz after extracting the initrd packages as explained below:

Starting the rescue initrd
NOTE: Here we do not flash the kernel or initrd to the device, but only load them to the device memory during the boot. Original images are restored when the device is restarted.

NOTE: Charge your battery before using initrd. Currently initrd is not able to charge the battery.

Remove the back cover
Turn off your device by removing battery
Insert the battery back to the device
Put back cover to the device (This is not needed if you don't need to have access to the microsd card, or if you use magnet instead).
Start flasher with the following command (NOTE: change <vmlinuz-n900> and <initrd.img> to real filenames):
sudo flasher-3.5 -k boot/<vmlinuz-n900> -n boot/<initrd.img> -l -b"rootdelay=1 root=/dev/ram0"
Connect N900 to your PC with the USB cable (directly ! some HUBS may cause strange problems)
Now the device boots and you can see a rescue menu.

only difference will be , I will do it on win machine:
flasher-3.5 -k boot/<vmlinuz-n900> -n boot/<initrd.img> -l -b"rootdelay=1 root=/dev/ram0"

Or should I cold flash my device again? I did that before but I pressed the U button to get the device in usb mode, then I cold flashed it. Was that correct?

In this case, You should avoid flashing vmlinuz from kernel-power, cause You'll lack sufficient modules for it, at least AFAIK.

Still, it's possible to flash framebuffer kernel (just by using flasher-3.5), but the package You've sent me via mail is only "kernel-framebuffer-flasher", not "kernel-framebuffer". flasher is only for flashing already installed kernel-framebuffer (kernel-framebuffer actually contains vmlinuz file, flasher only flashes it, just like flasher-3.5).

guy that sens you kernel-framebuffer-flasher, probably also have kernel-framebuffer, he just doesn't realize that, cause kernel-framebuffer was downloaded automatically (it's dependency of kernel-framebuffer-flasher). Get in contact with him, explain the situation, and he'll be probably able to help You.

Furthermore, if he still got framebuffer kernel installed, he got it's plain vmlinuz image in /boot/. So, using this image will also do (but, he need to be 100% sure that it's really vmlinuz of framebuffer kernel... Flashing another one won't blow anything, but won't help either).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Why not try running Nemo, mount mtd5, copy over the modules and flash the new kernel?

Hey Happy New Year to All!!

Does any body has a framebuffer kernel... I am in love with my N900 dont want to leave it like this!! :-(

Try to molest MAG with constant ping's at IRC and PM's sometimes. I think he can leave his f****n N950 toy for a second, and fix uploading of package that he maintains - one requested *months* ago.

No hostility. No disrespect. Not demanding. Just irritation.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
hehehehe Okay.... I am sorry but I have to do this!!!

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by rocky18tid View Post
Hey Happy New Year to All!!

Does any body has a framebuffer kernel... I am in love with my N900 dont want to leave it like this!! :-(
try here

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6350#c21

and sorry to jack your thread but could someone else please try to help this guy.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81259

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Although the thread is quite old, I want to post have some answers to the problem described initially.
What's happened to the n900?
In my case it was subjected to overvoltage due to broken car charger (13V).
Why doesn't it boot in normal mode?
BSI sense circuit is fried. So battery detection fails while booting. I don't know which component is the problem (may be bsi opamp?), but the bsi pin seems to be tied to 0.6v and adc value is in range 241-245

In my case bq27000, charging circuit, usb are still working. 2.5v supply and adc seems to be ok. Low battery alerts can be disabled by hiding .desktop file from battery applet. Sometimes I need to restart bme to initiate charging. So the device can be used, but it may not be safe since I don't know what else is blown.

Last edited by kirillkk; 2012-03-20 at 19:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to kirillkk For This Useful Post: