Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
One year ago, I told Tomi Ahonen that Microsoft is actually the lesser evil compared to Apple and Google. Google in particular is a sleeping evil
Only true, because MS is very late to offer 'services' now with Win8 and Win8-phone. They will pull even sooner or later, i am sure!

On further derailing the thread:
Did someone look into ownCloud recently?

Last edited by michaaa62; 2013-03-14 at 09:03.

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
I beg to differ because I don't see the difference between the two. What exactly is the difference between Google using their own proprietary calendar protocol and not Caldav and Microsoft using their own proprietary calendar protocol and not Caldav? If anything Google is becoming more and more like MS day by day. If this is considered "evil" then I don't see how it is "more evil" than the person whose practices you are slowly leaning towards.
Because Microsoft never started out with CalDav or IMAP from day one. You know the deal when you signed up with Microsoft, using proprietary technology is not necessarily evil by my book. And they have been consistently using Exchange protocol all this while.

However Google is switching from open technologies to proprietary technology once they gained popularity, systematically bringing their consumers/users to that path is pure evil. Google made a bait and switch.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kai_en For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
What are thease

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Wasn't it a perversion in the first place to add yet an additional hop plus a single point of failure to the we we consume RSS feeds? It's just not how RSS was supposed to work for end users. (Plus, it was a Google service, so people should have avoided it from the start.)

What's the big deal? Add your feeds to a feed reader the way other people do.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Wasn't it a perversion in the first place to add yet an additional hop plus a single point of failure to the we we consume RSS feeds? It's just not how RSS was supposed to work for end users. (Plus, it was a Google service, so people should have avoided it from the start.)

What's the big deal? Add your feeds to a feed reader the way other people do.
That single point (of failure) had an advantage. You could use multiple devices and have the same state on each one (a read article appears as read everywhere).

IMHO. This is what I miss on my N900 and my computer.
A feed reader, multi platform, with synchronization of read articles and off-line capabilities. Being able to access my feeds when using somebody else's computer (ie. web access) is only a plus.

If someone has a solution. I take it immediately.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darodi For This Useful Post:
So is Web Feeds best futureproof reader for N9?

It supports NewsBlur but I guess Tiny RSS is promised but still missing?

http://store.ovi.com/content/261063

I am trying to set up the old reader, currently having issues importing subcription due to overwhelming server load.

Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
So Google decided to pull the plug on Google Reader on its second massive spring cleaning.

So how do you guys feel?
No feelings but confirmed knowledge that cloud and cloud-like services simply cannot be trusted in any way.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hw9xx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by darodi View Post
That single point (of failure) had an advantage. You could use multiple devices and have the same state on each one (a read article appears as read everywhere).
Well, at better had at least one advantage...

Still people need to understand that the point of the internet is to have a de-centralized infrastructure, and the only sane way to use it in the long run is to not rely on any central service for anything. (One day twitter and facebook will go out of business. I'm really looking forward to that day.)

People may have had one advantage with Google Reader... but now they're lost again. Is it worth it?

(I don't see much of this advantage anyway. I don't recall ever having set a feed entry to 'read'... what for? And not in my wildest drems would I want to have all those feeds from my desktop appear on my mobile. Different usage patterns, other focus of interest...)

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
There goes my daily feeds subscription to Kindle
I find RSS really useful eventhough nowadays most feeds have only small part of the actual article. It's useful enough for me to see whether it is worth reading the article at all after the headline. RSS is also handy for following web comics and manga, having to manually check each site for releases is just too tiring.