Active Topics

Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by jklubi View Post
Well i like both the N9 and the N900, but i think they have outlived their usefulness.
The target now should be on Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, even Ubuntu is using that as the basis. The option is to hit a big and broad market and i think either we plan to do it on some of Nokia's new Lumia hardware or these new Android devices that we can easily find.esp the Google range of nexus devices

Rather than trying to go back to 2008 (N900) or 2011 (N9) hardware when there are newer and cheaper hardware with new SOC's that would benefit us in the long run
I think that now the goal is having a Sailfish device in our hands no matter which hardware is better. I would prioritize the shortest path to get Sailfish

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flotron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by flotron View Post
I think that now the goal is having a Sailfish device in our hands no matter which hardware is better. I would prioritize the shortest path to get Sailfish
Also I don't really like throwing working hardware away due to what basically amounts to political decisions.

BTW, the Qt & Wayland combo is supposed to perform better than X11. So if N900 & N9 already work acceptably with X11, they should fly with Wayland & Qt5. There could be some memory capacity issues at the N900, but still.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
what about wayland and qt5 to maemo , replacing x11? or just a part of x11? how about porting sailfish features to existing os ? instead a whole os with few drivers?
CSSU-T latest version

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Do we really need xxxx different forums? Better have one forum with better group/subforum and clean functionality?
I wasn't just speaking in the context of forums, have a closer look at what was said.
But yeah, to really simplify the forum side of things you could probably just have talk.merproject.org.

I think pyside should be prioritised up by the community to get it ported. Is there anyone involved in that project? I dont have a clue how to make bindings python myself. But I use python alot myselft (not with Qt but...) Anyone knows if KDE community working on it?
I'm not (yet) sure about efforts for PySide on Qt5, but THP is taking another (very interesting) approach:
http://thpmaemo.blogspot.com.au/2013...n-on-qt-5.html

No I mean because there is plenty of trolling and crying, bashing.
It's a waste of time starting afresh purely because you think all that will go away.
It's very unlikely it will....
There are other (much better) reasons as-to-why starting afresh would be great.
I'd love for the HFB/C to be one of the main drivers of that...

Originally Posted by jklubi View Post
<SNIP>The target now should be on Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, even Ubuntu is using that as the basis. The option is to hit a big and broad market and i think either we plan to do it on some of Nokia's new Lumia hardware or these new Android devices that we can easily find.esp the Google range of nexus devices<SNIP>
In the context of the most recent developments*...
This post I linked to some time ago is even more pertinent.
Perhaps it's time to revisit that discussion with Jolla/MeR/Nemo devs.
I do (somewhat) agree with earlier sentiments though, that we focus on the hw we already have.
But some community assembled images for 2-3 far more popular Android devices could also be a net positive.

*i.e. They've moved to Qt5/Wayland instead of waiting till a 2nd major release next yr

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-20 at 17:24.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Is there a community repo for Nemo Apps ? (feu apps.formeego.com) ?
See the topic " MeeGo community OBS (COBS) SHUTDOWN - May 29 ".

So there is the Mer Project OBS replacing the MeeGo COBS.

See also the topic "Python (modules) on Mer/Nemo", we miss you with your Python contribution.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Accra, GH
Your point below is true.
But the time that would be "wasted" on these old hardware could be best used on the Nexus and Lumia range of devices.

I would tell you this when we manage to put SailfishOS on any of the Nexus or Lumia range of devices. Jolla would hit a homerun. I am not that good with this hardware adaptation stuffs, if i know anything about that I would seriously get an image from Sailfish and work on Lumia or the Nexus range of devices. Already i have seen Sailfish on Google Nexus 7 and I pray that an image get leaked. I understand what Jolla is doing. The don't want any leak so that Samsung (Copy King) or Apple (Now learning how to copy) or any other Mobile company get to steal any of their UX designs.

Let leave the N900 and N9 behind. They lack
LTE,
BT4.0
The are both single core,
GPU is very old.
gyro,
barometer,
temperature,
humidity,
gesture
GLONASS
Wifi ac
Very Very Very Small Screen

These are all the basic things found in all new the hardwares lying around. Let not miss incorporation these hardware functions into SailfishOS and then concentrate on them rather than the old N900 and N9.

They are old. we should leave the OS on them and compare it with the SailfishOS on the new hardwares.

Originally Posted by flotron View Post

Last edited by jklubi; 2013-07-20 at 10:22.

It is good you made mention of hardware limitation of using N900.
That is also one of my point. We have Android devices lying around and they have very good hardware with a lot of memory and speed.

We should not concentrate on this old hardware but rather concentrate on this new hardware. Trust me LG Google Nexus 4 is not bad at all. Get one and you would understand what i am saying.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Also I don't really like throwing working hardware away due to what basically amounts to political decisions.

BTW, the Qt & Wayland combo is supposed to perform better than X11. So if N900 & N9 already work acceptably with X11, they should fly with Wayland & Qt5. There could be some memory capacity issues at the N900, but still.

Last edited by jklubi; 2013-07-20 at 10:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jklubi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
yup why throw away the n900 n9 ? Sailfish can acceptably in low hardware as mentioned devices like nexus lg wont get much attention as they already have android to show devlopers would loose intrest . But in case of n9xx they would be eager to test use and help on devlopment.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
and what about x11 and wayland parallel? (or x11 on top of wayland)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

I am not saying you should throw it away. They don't cut for modern smartphone specs and also they belong to Nokia as much LG Nexus belongs to Google. Both don't belong to Jolla. Therefore they have no obligation to put their image on N900 same as for the Nexus devices. But for them to decide, I would prefer they go with a modern device, which faster and have modern specs

Do you know the devices that developers have and are using. No one is using oldskool stuffs anymore. They are very very slow and lack many new and modern device specifications

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
yup why throw away the n900 n9 ? Sailfish can acceptably in low hardware as mentioned devices like nexus lg wont get much attention as they already have android to show devlopers would loose intrest . But in case of n9xx they would be eager to test use and help on devlopment.

Last edited by jklubi; 2013-07-20 at 19:13.

Tags
jolla, nokia, sailfish