Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
I suspect that you are using a SD Class 10

Please read from post #68

Last edited by Fabry; 2011-11-18 at 12:57.

Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
I suspect that you are using a SD Class 10

Please read from post #68
No I am using Class 6

Install "Linux kernel for power user", reboot and then install ""Linux kernel for power user (boot image for multiboot)"?

I figured things out.
I installed the NITDroid 2.7 installer before I installed the dependencies and when I tried to use it I was provided the list of dependencies which had not been met in app manager. I then used "apt-get install" in x-term for each of them and now have all of the dependencies met. Just need to figure out how to partition my MicroSD card.. Don't have an external card reader for MicroSD so I'll need to do it within the N900... if only fdisk were available.

EDIT: Found the problem. I installed Power Kernel and Multiboot myself before runnning the NITDroid installer and apparently NITDroid installer likes to handle these dependancies itself.
I used Settings>Clear Device and flashed my N900 to remove the Power Kernel then downloaded and ran the installer again. 2.6.8 stopped at Formating ext3 so I upgraded the installer to 2.7 and worked like a charm (but installed popov 0.0.8).
Only problem now is finding any software whcih works with this version from the Android Marketplace (Adobe Flash Player 11 does not and many of the games don't make it through install, killing themselves in that process) beyond Open Office Reader....

Last edited by monkeyman; 2011-12-02 at 18:46.

Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I figured things out.
I installed the NITDroid 2.7 installer before I installed the dependencies and when I tried to use it I was provided the list of dependencies which had not been met in app manager. I then used "apt-get install" in x-term for each of them and now have all of the dependencies met. Just need to figure out how to partition my MicroSD card.. Don't have an external card reader for MicroSD so I'll need to do it within the N900... if only fdisk were available...
sfdisk instructions are @ http://wiki.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=N900-install

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Slovakia, Bratislava
Doesn't work for me. I am using nitdroid.manifest from post #1, I got it in that damned /home/user/MyDocs directory but it seems ignoring it, it just wants to download its own and then it wants to download nitdroid 0.0.8 Popov instead of 0.1.2 UMay(this is logical if it has its own manifest file).

I have read through the thread but I'm still getting a bailout message.

To start:
Installed the latest nitdroid installer in the repos using apt-get (to get dependencies). Used dpkg to install the real latest installer at the start of this thread.

Manually partitioned my 16 gig class 6 micro SD card, as detailed in the wiki, using cfdisk.

Downloaded the manifest file attached to this post and put it in ~/MyDocs/.nitdroid/ directory. Called the installer using the file command flag. It does find the manifest file.

Manually downloaded the kernel and nitdroid packages on my linux box. Copied over using scp to ~/MyDocs/.nitdroid/ directory.

Removed the checksums from the manifest (as some people said this worked for them).

Here is the initial bailing out message:

Formatting /dev/mmcblk1p1 (vfat) ...done
Formatting /dev/mmcblk1p2 (ext3) ...done
Mounting /dev/mmcblk1p2 ...done
Extracting N12_UMay.tar.bz2 ...done
Installing ...FAILURE. Bailing out.

Here is the error when looking at the end of the install log:

[snipped the files extracting from N12_UMay.tar.bz2]

--- END [tar xv]
*** DONE
*** Installing
--- RUN [dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/]
dpkg-split: error reading /home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/: Is a directory
dpkg: error processing /home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/ (--install):
subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/
!!! ERROR:1 dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/.nitdroid/
*** ERROR - CLEANING UP THE CRAP

What is the point of failure here? Is it failing when the kernel should be installed? Is it finding the directory the kernel is in, instead of the kernel itself? If the tar extraction is ending properly, does that mean all the android packages were properly copied to the micro SD card?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by eachna; 2011-11-28 at 16:42.

Originally Posted by noname711 View Post
Doesn't work for me. I am using nitdroid.manifest from post #1, I got it in that damned /home/user/MyDocs directory but it seems ignoring it, it just wants to download its own and then it wants to download nitdroid 0.0.8 Popov instead of 0.1.2 UMay(this is logical if it has its own manifest file).
You have done something wrong.
It seems that it not find the local manifest and so it revert to use default manifest (from internet but it was made for 0.0.8 Popov)

Last edited by Fabry; 2011-11-28 at 17:56.

but this install nitdroid in my eMMC. not in SD Card.

Nitdroid-Installer 0.2.7 installs on SD
Nitdroid-Installer 0.2.8 installs on eMMC

This guide is for 0.2.7