it does scroll faster if you scroll more aggressively, at least it does for things like Hermes.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
i think the kinetic scrolling has to be improved in the home screen. not because of the frame rates but because it hard to flick from 1 to the next while holding it with one hand. well.... at least its hardER to do it effortlessly

i wish we had a choice for the resolution: like be able to switch from 800 by 480 to 480 by 320?. do you guys think that'll improve the fps. that'll probably open up more resources to do other things too

that be awesome if we could have that choice. so we would be able to do normal things in low resolution and watch movies or edit pictures in high reslution

Last edited by RogerTHAcctant; 2010-01-15 at 00:16.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
I think this hardware can easily do smooth scrolling with this screen resolution at high frame rate. Look at Bounce, and then think about scrolling through a simple menu. It isn't that hard, isn't it?

Give the scroll momentum to make it go faster.

One scroll activates the scrolling, but doesn't go very far or very quickly. Doing the scrolling motion again and again gives it more speed, and allows you to zip through long lists with great speed.

It's kinda like making a wheel spin with your hands. It works very intuitively on the N900. But make sure you press the screen enough with each scroll to make sure the screen registers it :P

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Delhi, India
Originally Posted by b666m View Post
edit: you have to play around to find the perfect speed for you. to stop the scrolling simply tap on the touchscreen. (:
sorry..i disagree a bit..when i try to stop the scrolling by taping the touchscreen it automaticaly opens the link i have tapped.. only in photos it stops the scrolling without opening the pic..i get really annoyed when i am scrolling on my contact list and end up opening 3 contacts b4 reaching for the one i wanted to dial

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
The motion itself is normal, but the presentation of it isn't.
It's weird to see this kind of device to have a problem with simple task like scrolling.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by aman18narang View Post
sorry..i disagree a bit..when i try to stop the scrolling by taping the touchscreen it automaticaly opens the link i have tapped.. only in photos it stops the scrolling without opening the pic..i get really annoyed when i am scrolling on my contact list and end up opening 3 contacts b4 reaching for the one i wanted to dial
But on the contact list you can type to narrow the list down anyway, so its less of an issue. I am guessing you are referring to using the N900 one-handed but unfortunately, its just not designed for that. Everything about the N900 is designed for two-handed landscape operation, because its designed to be a computer not a phone.

Its far easier to type a few letters than getting out the stylus to operate a scroll bar would be. (speaking as a previous Windows Mobile user here) You can't just bump up the scrollbar size for finger-friendly operation either, you would lose a vast amount of screen space and we would be complaining of too little usable space then. Kinetic scrolling is the not perfect but as close as possible to a happy medium.

As for not allowing the arrow keys to be used in every application that has scrolling lists, that is VERY unlike a PC, so no excuse for that.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Isle of Man
Scrolling through a large email folder of around 250 messages takes forever, a flick of the finger and it starts scrolling before rapidly coming to a stop again just a few messages further down the list.

Bring back the scroll bar, let me go to the bottom of the list in a few seconds, throw this kinetic scrolling rubbish in the dustbin it belongs in. I have an N810 in one hand and an N900 in the other. I know which one was a lot more pleasant to use and it was released in 2007.

Has anybody worked out how to install the Maemo 4 on the N900 yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to farnwomt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
There is a problem with the kinetic scrolling in Conversations, it's bug #5455.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland, Tampere
It's not a bug per se, but still something that left me quite surprised. I'm an ex iPhonist (3G) and the performance was helluva better for kinetic scrolling there, even with music playing on the background and scrolling graphic heavy websites. And as everyone should knwo the hardware was alot worse. I wish Nokia would asses this issue, since it's a big thing in affecting how people who you show the phone off, will remember the device by, and thus potentially affecting revenues aswell.