Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
I hate all this talk of using force to change the way the wireless companies work.

Change them with the use of your dollars. This is not a worthy cause for force.
In essentially locked markets like the US, that is so far into impractical as to be impossible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Eh... and here I was hoping to find some business savvy/sense amongst the reams of conversation here.
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. The cynical assessments of the US market are accurate. Granted, complaining is nothing more than venting due the improbability of change by individuals, but what do you expect of people frustrated by a situation they feel powerless to change?

Originally Posted by Suurorca View Post
Well. I would very much like like to see Apple brought down by the bureaucrats (yet again one model example why: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0)
However, as there IS viable competition, I choose to vote with my euros and buy Nokia. Simple. But how do I vote with money when there is only one provider offering what I need?
Telecommunications is becoming more and more a necessity. The same way water, heating an electricity have been for a while now. You can't just go and start up your own small, local telco, either... Investments needed for infrastructure are just too huge.

You can call me a commie and crucify me on the wall for it, but imho the business needs to be carefully controlled to ensure customers have their choice of services. To make sure people CAN vote with their money.
I would never call you a commie, unless you were one, in the vein of Stalin, Mao, etc.

Yes it may take much capital to start a telcom business that does not mean one cannot be started.
An d TexRat you do have choices, and you do have different companies doing different things. You may have to make compromises and may not get exactly what you want, but that is life. I am not satisfied with the current wireless companies either, but I choose the one I like the best, which offers what I want and I use it. I dont think that force or violence is justified in these cases.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I would never call you a commie, unless you were one, in the vein of Stalin, Mao, etc.

Yes it may take much capital to start a telcom business that does not mean one cannot be started.
An d TexRat you do have choices, and you do have different companies doing different things. You may have to make compromises and may not get exactly what you want, but that is life. I am not satisfied with the current wireless companies either, but I choose the one I like the best, which offers what I want and I use it. I dont think that force or violence is justified in these cases.
Force.. or violence? Where is that coming from?

I don't think you're making a very convincing argument. On the one hand you admit that 'it may take much capital to start a telcom business', which seems to affirm the idea that it may be difficult to impossible to do so. Then, in the same breath you state, 'that does not mean one cannot be started', in this context, contradicts the whole spirit of the argument being made which is that that the industry marches together to make sure it is difficult to impossible to have viable competition to give consumers what they actually are willing to pay for. History has shown, without any doubt, that there are times when regulation and laws must step in to keep such businesses honest and to promote small businesses to compete with larger ones, defend consumers and provide an actual free market not just the appearance of a free market.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. The cynical assessments of the US market are accurate. Granted, complaining is nothing more than venting due the improbability of change by individuals, but what do you expect of people frustrated by a situation they feel powerless to change?
Would you think of me different if I expected some vein of persons in this highly intelligent and ingenious community to propose or speak towards how they are implementing a solution that would assist in alleviating all the frustrations?

Maybe that person is just me...

An d TexRat you do have choices, and you do have different companies doing different things.
They are not full choices, as would exist in a true free (and fair) market.

The point is the companies are not different enough, because they are protected by virtual-monopolistic FCC and FTC policies that would be illegal for any other industry.

I recommend reading up on the subject rather than dispensing ill-informed comments.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Would you think of me different if I expected some vein of persons in this highly intelligent and ingenious community to propose or speak towards how they are implementing a solution that would assist in alleviating all the frustrations?

Maybe that person is just me...
Many have spoken so, many times. Again, though, solutions are easy to envision but near impossible for individuals to implement. This is ostensibly why we have consumer-facing government agencies... who unfortunately have turned their backs upon us.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
[...]

The point is the companies are not different enough, because they are protected by virtual-monopolistic FCC and FTC policies that would be illegal for any other industry.

[...]
A telco corporation licenses a limited number of frequencies as defined by the government. These licenses grant a temporary monopoly to the telco corporation to operate on that frequency.

Same as it was with FM. But while we now have tons of ways to express a diverse amount of information (compared to 30 years ago where magazines, FM, TV were owned by a Happy Few), the problem now lies in receiving it.

That, und, ehh... redistributing it.. hihi.

The temporary monopoly we see back in another aspect of our so called free market: copyright, patent system, martial law, ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
A telco corporation licenses a limited number of frequencies as defined by the government. These licenses grant a temporary monopoly to the telco corporation to operate on that frequency.

Same as it was with FM. But while we now have tons of ways to express a diverse amount of information (compared to 30 years ago where magazines, FM, TV were owned by a Happy Few), the problem now lies in receiving it.

That, und, ehh... redistributing it.. hihi.

The temporary monopoly we see back in another aspect of our so called free market: copyright, patent system, martial law, ...
Having worked in the industry, I understand all that, thanks though.

I'm referring more to the restricting service plans and similar evils.