Active Topics

Hi all,
I've just installed Arch Linux on my N900, and I'm very satisfied now. I plan to use it as a ssh server (and vpn one, also), but I would like to understand how much is the power consumption while using it 24/24 7/7.
Here there are some infos, but I cannot figure how much watts could take for this kind of usage.
Can someone please help me?
--
Diego

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm gonna use it with a USB cable connected directly to the router.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by ludiegu View Post
Here there are some infos, but I cannot figure how much watts could take for this kind of usage.
Can someone please help me?
I'll try with my limited english:
Electric power = Electric potential x Current; P = IV
Units: W (Wats) for power (P), V (voltage) for electric potential (V) and A (ampere) for current (I).

For example, assuming electric potential 5V and case "WLAN on - no powersave - 200 mA".
W = 5V x 0.2A = 1W

Hope this helps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You've already found the relevant info, well done. For a rough idea of the total power consumption in mW add the numbers in mA and multiply it by 4.1 (full battery in Volts). You only need to add up the numbers that apply. For example, you do not need to include GSM, GPS, FMTX, display on, MP3 playing etc, if you are not going to use them.

If you want Watts, devide mW (milliwats) by 1000.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-12-08 at 12:42. Reason: Tsippaduida beat me by a couple of minutes

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Wow! Fast and clean. Thanks guys!

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@ludiegu,

You could simply charge the battery fully, unplug the USB cable, and use it in the intended manner until it dies. Let's say that takes N hours until it turns off.

The battery holds approximately 1300mAh. Divide by N and you get the current (e.g. 130mA). If you want the power (in W) then do as pichlo and Tsippaduida said above and multiply by 4 or 5.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
When streaming internet radio, the n900 will use ~250mA with wifi powersaving OFF. WIth wifi powersaving ON it will use ~100mA.

Depending on what kind of performance you want, you can enable/disable wifi powersaving.

The battery will be ~4.1V if you leave the N900 plugged in.

Tags
power