Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Tom's Hardware just reviewed the N900. A lot of factual errors are present, but it seemed pretty even handed to me.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nokia-N9...view-1468.html

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Good review, IMHO...

Nokia proves that there is a middle ground between smart phones and netbooks, one that we may someday consider mainstream. The N900 is the closest we’ve ever seen to that vision, and because we were simultaneously testing netbooks while testing the N900, we found ourselves using the N900 more and the netbooks less because portability trumped functionality.
Tom's seems to "get it"

SLN member # 009

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Hits some nails on the heads: re: lack of out-of-the-box synchronization options.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
There are indeed some factual errors but that last page of the review could be great reading for any noob who is contemplating buying the device.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nokia-N9...ew-1468-4.html

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
So essentially the bottom line:

The N900 is a mini-laptop replacement for power users. If that's what you need, great. If you're looking for "a better iPhone", save your $600.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
that depends on how you'd improve the iPhone. I find it a smashing upgrade for my needs. Great review

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by johnnyrockets911 View Post
So essentially the bottom line:

The N900 is a mini-laptop replacement for power users. If that's what you need, great. If you're looking for "a better iPhone", save your $600.
Pretty much, there are a lot of people who want to use an iPhone as a mini laptop replacement not just as an 'smartphone' I figure the N900 might be an upgrade for these folks too.

After being absent and then lurking here for the past few days (out of the USA slow internet) I have noticed a clear divide between the old school N8x0 tablet users and the iPhone/Android/webOS defectors or trial users. The old tablet users are pretty much ecstatic with the N900 and a lot of the newer users are confused by what they consider to be standard features that are missing. Mainstream reviews like this are good because they really highlight the difference between the old 'tablet' experience and the 'smartphone' experience, I'm hoping the Engadget review can do the same as that will get a lot more views.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
@OP: Thanks for posting this review, this has to be the most sensibly written review I have seen so far. Obviously missing fanboy language from either side.

@MobileDivide: Nice summary and thoughts to post.

This review highlights what I believe has being a major downside at present for the N900: Synchronisation. Adding OTA sync to the OVI website as for S60 platform would solve a lot of the initial concerns and steer people towards OVI as a brand too: surely not that hard to impliment client side daemon? Once we have the client side service we should be able to extend it to 3rd party repositories too. SyncML is an open standard so should open a few gateways.

Last edited by Fargus; 2009-12-09 at 07:58. Reason: Site submitted beforI was finished: I really hate this post mechanism!

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
that depends on how you'd improve the iPhone. I find it a smashing upgrade for my needs. Great review
that depends on how you'd improve the iPhone. I find it needs a smashing for my upgrade. Great review

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
... that last page of the review could be great reading for any noob who is contemplating buying the device.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nokia-N9...ew-1468-4.html
Yup, my thoughts exactly.

>> http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...9#post13311449

SLN member # 009