Been working on trying to get basic serial port access via the pads on the back of the n800/n810. Enabled serial console via Rd flags and can get a terminal and log in with out any problems. However I dont want to log in, i simply want to be able to treat it like a com port. i have edited etc/inittab so that the

T0:12345:respawn /sbin/getty -L ttyS0

is deleted.

However, everytime i reboot the device the file reverts back to the original.

I could use it as is, but im worried about a limit on the amount of data i would be able to send and receive before the login program causes issues.

Any ideas?

Craig

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
this is done in /etc/init.d/ttyusb0, you can remove/disable link in /etc/rc2.d/

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
RD flags - it's done by the flasher I suppose.
Is there any way to switch it on/off without flasher?
/in usb host manner for example/

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
RD flags - it's done by the flasher I suppose.
Is there any way to switch it on/off without flasher?
/in usb host manner for example/
If we can write to CAL, then we could

It has to be noted though, mostly it's just setting a flag which programs get cal-tool to look up. Editing gainroot, ttyusb0, linuxrc scripts properly can enable you to get mostly same effect by changing scripts not to check for RD mode flag and enabling anyway.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
If we can write to CAL, then we could
If you have qemu N8x0 emulation then go for it, we need it to get rid of dsme :-) Also stracing cal-tool -R or osso-product-info can tell us how to force dsme to write something for us safely.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Maybe silly question - but can I just set R&D flags without reflashing?

sure, you can

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Grenoble (France)
Originally Posted by Craig@dcs View Post
Been working on trying to get basic serial port access via the pads on the back of the n800/n810.
Sorry to dig that old post, but I was wondering: did you find some connectors to plug in the N800/N810 serial port socket? Or did you wires and solder?

http://www.bu3sch.de/joomla/index.ph...serial-console

Enabling the serial console in software

The serial console has to be enabled in software before it can be used. This can be done using the 0xFFFF utility. At least version 0.3.2 is needed. Read the documentation of that software before using it! After you read the documentation, you can enable the serial console by connecting the USB cable and entering this command:

sudo 0xFFFF -r 1 -f 0x10

After that switch the n810 device on. 0xFFFF will detect it and change the parameters. You can use

sudo 0xFFFF -R

to reboot the device afterwards.

The Following User Says Thank You to ioioio For This Useful Post: