I searched the forum but could not find the answer but when android apps are minimized, do they still run in the background or are they in pause?

BB10 can't multitask android apps as the second you leave the app, it is paused. This is a feature that I value greatly because it really helps make use of the best of both worlds.

Android apps in Sailfish continue running.

They don't even realize that they are being minimized.

Magnificent!

Thanks for the anwer. That makes it the platform of choice

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
Android apps in Sailfish continue running.

They don't even realize that they are being minimized.
Nope, many apps just stop when minimized. They do it on purpose. It's the way they are expected to behave on Android.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
It annoys me because Jolla can set them to not stop, or atleast give us the choice. Or atleast Alien Dalvik should give us the choice

Exactly!

Given the fact that they try to bridge the app gap by being able to load android apps, where is the point of buying a jolla device if its multitasking (competitive) advantage is not being exploited with the apps which are supposed to convince sceptics of making the jump to Sailfish?

I can imagine this has to do with processing ressources and battery life but as m4r0v3r mentioned, we should be left to choose on a global or app specific level

Speaking of the battery, Im surprised that given the size of the tablet which is slightly bigger than the ipad mini 3, the battery is 33% smaller.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Nope, many apps just stop when minimized. They do it on purpose. It's the way they are expected to behave on Android.
Okay, so then I'm not informed properly.
So far all apps where I tested looked like they go on running when minimized / pushed to the background.
Of course NOT when closed.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Some android apps continue running and most don't when minimized. Its how they are written. I think the apps that continue running use what is called a "service". I just tried a couple of android apps on my jolla phone that play a video and they stopped when I tried to minimize them . I wouldn't even call it a pause because you had to restart the video when you brought the app to foreground. Then I tried an Android music app called Poweramp and it continued to play music when I reduced the app. So it is really up to the developer to give it multitasking capability. At least in general...

Originally Posted by florist View Post
Exactly!

Given the fact that they try to bridge the app gap by being able to load android apps, where is the point of buying a jolla device if its multitasking (competitive) advantage is not being exploited with the apps which are supposed to convince sceptics of making the jump to Sailfish?

I can imagine this has to do with processing ressources and battery life but as m4r0v3r mentioned, we should be left to choose on a global or app specific level

Speaking of the battery, Im surprised that given the size of the tablet which is slightly bigger than the ipad mini 3, the battery is 33% smaller.
Considering there is no multitasking in Android, how do you expect a different OS to add multitasking capabilities to Android applications?

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Considering there is no multitasking in Android, how do you expect a different OS to add multitasking capabilities to Android applications?
Considering there is no multitasking in DOS, how do you expect a different OS to add multitasking capabilities to DOS programs?

I guess you've never seen a DOS box in Windows or Linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: