Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
It's live! Join up.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Doesn't work for me... may be our VPN firewall though...

EDIT: nope. Logged off VPN and still no go. IE7 says it can't find an embedded flash object...

EDIT 2: nevermind! Firefox works chat wouldn't though

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-02-13 at 05:05.

Excellent stuff. Big thanks to Quim for taking the time to answer our questions! (What's that about maemo guys never communicating with the community again?)

thoughtfix is evidently going to be chopping it up and posting the video for consumption later, so anybody who missed it will probably be able to download it later.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I gather from the interview that mr. Gil is responsible for managing the human aspects around the tablet developer community. Not to sound disrespectful but I would have expected a bit more enthousiasm and a better speaker (especially English) for such a position.

Also most questions are answered along the lines of "well, yes we look at that but it's complicated and you know, Nokia is a big corporation". I understand that things can't improve overnight ,and Nokias corporate interests inevitably will not always coincide with those of (free) software makers, but to me this interview strengthens the image of Nokia's half-heartedness with regards to the Tablets.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-02-13 at 19:36.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I gather from the interview that mr. Gil is responsible for managing the human aspects around the tablet developer community. Not to sound disrespectful but I would have expected a bit more enthousiasm and a better speaker (especially English) for such a position.
Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. That may be the single most ignorant thing I have read all week.

Please explain to me how speaking English well correlates with knowledge or work ability in this world?

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Please explain to me how speaking English well correlates with knowledge or work ability in this world?
Because of international aspect of the community. I think if your job is to manage and stimulate that you should be a good communicator.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-02-13 at 19:56.

Because of international aspect of the community. I think if your position is to manage and stimulate that you should be a good communicator.
Yes, the international aspect—exactly. English isn't the only language on the planet (it's not even the most common one).

Besides, I didn't have any trouble understanding him. Perhaps it's just you?

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Because of international aspect of the community. I think if your job is to manage and stimulate that you should be a good communicator.
Oh I see. So everyone not 100% fluent in English should leave now? Or do you only want native-born English speaker? Please clarify your xenophobia.

BTW, I strongly suspect that Quim (and many other people here) speak many other languages in addition to English. How about you? Ever seen the outside of your own backyard?

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following User Says Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
BTW, I strongly suspect that Quim (and many other people here) speak many other languages in addition to English. How about you? Ever seen the outside of your own backyard?
Of course is not about speaking English perfectly. It is just my impression was he did not express his visions and ideas about the project clearly and convincingly. Or maybe he could but he is restricted by the policies within Nokia so he can't be too specific.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-02-13 at 20:14.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Can you detect the incredible irony in your own post???

Quim is not a native English speaker, but he does better in that language than some native speakers I know! I have no trouble understanding him.

And speaking of international aspects: my team's director is Finnish, as are some members, one is from Asia and 2 from the US (including me). We are about to be joined by new members, possible from India, Africa and/or South America. Doesn't get much more international than that. And while English is the official language of Nokia, and everyone is expected to use it, us native speakers have no problem cutting our "foreign" friends some slack, and making an effort to meet them halfway. It's part of being professional adults. In this case, Quim did his part-- is it so hard for you to do yours?

Welcome to TRUE internationalism. Hint: it's not limited to Americans and Englishmen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: