Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
As someone said: strange that you need dual and more cores for that
Stranger still.. I didn't say "need". Harmattan would benefit from that more than likely and less places where users perceive lag would be a good thing.

I am not sure what the problem was on your N900.
Search the forum. A lot was wrong with that thing as a phone. Answering it became a chore. It would get confused trying to rotate from portrait to landscape, lag and sometimes force me to miss a call if it were already on the 3rd or so ring.

I just did a smooth phone call on my N900 today via loudspeaker while I was looking something up on the web browser.
No lag, no stutter.
Congrats? Many other people had issues. Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Of course you should pay attention that your internet connection shows a firm 3.5 .
If you're on AT&T, N900 on 3.5 = impossible. It's EDGE and only EDGE. Faster if you're on wi-fi, not ideal while driving around on a cellular phone.

Originally Posted by rcolistete
I can't even trust Android "sequential" tasking for just reading long PDF texts and web sites in multiple tab/panels... while I can do it on N900 & N9 without problems.
Again, you're overlooking the one thing I said rather clearly... the so-called best OS for multi-tasking simply doesn't have a lot to multi-task over/with, now does it?

As it stands, the N9 has great multi-tasking ability, an older chipset that has a couple of issues in some areas (small lag here and there) and no third party support so popular applications - popular to the mainstream not just to you and I - and we're stuck with a platform that can multi-task all damn day in a glorious manner, but it's doing nothing more than just juggling a few, good apps.

None of which will be commercially upgraded because Nokia doesn't care for the platform and we don't have access to the code.

Great platform indeed, sorely lacking support. That's my point. Not that one is better than the other - I really don't care to speak on that because that's all based on what you consider a workflow worthy of being considered the best.

And about the EPOC platform - way ahead of its time, way less code bloat than new platforms, planned in such a way it's still relevant a decade later, it was just done so damn well.

Sadly, I can't say the same for Harmattan despite really, really wanting to. In 3 years, it'll be too slow to do what I want due to the advancements in HTML5, Canvas, et al.

Oh... offline maps, on my tablet I have the mid-atlantic states and no issues. Not sure what you're talking about. It's pretty much the same experience as my N9 and Nokia Maps on my Lumia 900. Download the maps - or in Android's case, use the tablet version and I have access without wifi and it "works fine".

And pertaining PDF's and eBooks, I just resumed reading an eBook (epub) that I hadn't read since sometime last week - but was still running in the tasklist without going back to page 1. Again, not sure what you're talking about. But I don't use Adobe Acrobat, I tend to use FBReader - like I used to on my 770 and N810.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
For anybody complaining about lag on N900 : have you really tried to optimize it by installing Kernel Power v50 and Swappolube (for example) ?

It is very simple, just use the Application Manager and install 1 software for Kernel Power 50, another to have overclocking, other one for USB host mode ("Host Mode Enabler"/"hostmode-gui"). Kernel Power 50 increased my N900's battery life a lot : 2-3 days for me with SmartReflex on. You can even overclock @ 850 MHz with SmartReflex on.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-04-17 at 18:57.

Been there, done that. Go back and read Dousan's account on the phone issues... I also had that same issue.

But... a great phone shouldn't have to have all of that - should come optimized out of the box, no?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Harmattan is not laggy and stuttering because its missing a dual core. It is doing this because 1 GB of RAM is not enough, and it uses swap space even before the memory is full.
A dual core wouldn't help with that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
iphone 4s has only 512Mb of RAM and smokes N9 with how silky smooth it is

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Smooth as a baby's bottom, but slightly less functional.

Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
[...]CSSU installed.
[...]
might well be your problem

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
[...]

Oh... offline maps, on my tablet I have the mid-atlantic states and no issues. Not sure what you're talking about. It's pretty much the same experience as my N9 and Nokia Maps on my Lumia 900. Download the maps - or in Android's case, use the tablet version and I have access without wifi and it "works fine".
have had the maps for "off-line" navigation for a whole continent stored on my N900 for nearly two years... just 'cuz Google realized they had to offer the off-line as well to keep up with OVI-maps doesn't mean they invented it

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And pertaining PDF's and eBooks, I just resumed reading an eBook (epub) that I hadn't read since sometime last week - but was still running in the tasklist without going back to page 1. [...]
had to let your eyes rest for a whole week ear being able to tackle page 2, huh? ¦-)))))

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
with a terrible excuse of a multitasking... yeah... I can be smooth with even less than 512mb ram.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Uh oh:

Our company runs almost entirely on Microsoft products. We use Exchange Server and Microsoft Outlook for our e-mail. We use self-signed SSL certs.
This week an employee got a Nokia Lumia 900. He brought it in for us to help him get the e-mail set up. It won't accept self-signed certs. It's a pain in the *** to get set up. He took it back and got an iPhone.

We have people running iPhones, Blackberries, and Android phones all connecting without problems. But you got a WP7 device? Sucks to be you.
http://mobile.slashdot.org/comments....p;cid=39715483