This is a really neat mod! Iv thought if doing something like this, (building a small phone into the n810 case, and connecting them over BT) but it was never really practical.

I'm glad to see someone is doing something similar!

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Can't wait to see how this turns out, great work.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Yep I'm looking forward to see the output!

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I used to have a super thin (officially 7mm) and cheap phone, I almost completely removed/dismantled the cell phone further and stuck it at the back of the n800 (with its battery cover removed also) and had a n800 white silicone case over both devices (I could easily read who was calling). The net bulge was about 2 mm. Almost made me think I had one device :P

This is amazing to watch, just wish the specs of the n810 were comparable to the n900.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-04-18 at 11:57.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
I have looked around for existing GSM modules and it seems that all of them have dimensions that prevent them from mounting inside N810 standard case And many of them have connectors that would be very hard to use. Telit that blue_led have used seems to be the smallest gsm module in the world, but the lack of EDGE support makes the idea not so brilliant. Now i'm trying hard to find some gsm module with EDGE and small size...

BTW, another problem is connecting GSM module to serial port pins, which are under the battery. This will need very thin wires

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
I have looked around for existing GSM modules and it seems that all of them have dimensions that prevent them from mounting inside N810 standard case And many of them have connectors that would be very hard to use. Telit that blue_led have used seems to be the smallest gsm module in the world, but the lack of EDGE support makes the idea not so brilliant. Now i'm trying hard to find some gsm module with EDGE and small size...
wait and will be ! .
lack of 3G support me bothers most, but i have no option. at least I ( hope ) will be able to make phone calls & send sms from N810.

for making connections under battery and for earpiece connections I will use kapton flex cable donated by hdd head assembly ( many scsi hdd are eager to donate ) . the cable is half thickness of the N900 display cable. it is sufficiently thin ?

Last edited by blue_led; 2010-04-20 at 00:36.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This is like looking over the shoulder of a master craftsman. This is pretty damn cool.

Originally Posted by blue_led View Post
I will use kapton flex cable donated by hdd head assembly
Yeah, i thought too already about cables from HDD

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ oregon woods
ok well this hasn't gotten a bump in a while. how are things coming blue_led? can't wait to see some more!