Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Hi,

I've got a sad story for you, but it has a happy ending. On Thanksgiving evening, we were driving between cities. We were listening to the Texas A&M vs Texas game on the car radio and the station started fading. I thought to myself, no problem, I'll just use my handy N900 computer in my pocket to find the game and then broadcast vi FM to continue listening to the game. Well that didn't work out so well. There's no real radio directory that I could find that would work well with the N900. Most wanted to start flash based players. You can guess how that worked out. Suffice it to say that we reached our destination before I got a game playing on my N900.

Seeing the need, I present you with a very minimalistic but capable interface to RadioTime. I'm using kmplayer to play the stations since it's so capable of so many formats. The lightweight interface and kmplayer format compatiblity open up tens of thousands of radio stations for your N900. This also happens to run on Mac and Windows as well but it's not optimized for that.

I was surprised at what RadioTime is capable of. Not only can you search for stations, but also by genres, by location, content playing on stations, podcasts and more.

It's currently available in extras-testing, please vote.

Screenshots below.

Name:  Screenshot-20101207-191147.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot-20101207-191205.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  22.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot-20101207-191214.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  17.2 KB

Frank

Last edited by Frank Banul; 2011-02-02 at 01:15. Reason: Moved to Extras-testing

The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Very nice. I like to listen to the radio on my N900, but I rarely do because I hate those awful flash players. This works great. Nice and simple. I think a nice additional feature would be the ability to store presets.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I think a nice additional feature would be the ability to store presets.
I agree. For now, you can store the favorite in kmplayer.

Frank

Nice work.

How's it work over 2.5G? :P

2.5G, ah yes the things I go through to use an N900. Oh well, for most audio it's actually OK.

Frank

tested it, works great frank..thanks
but it would be really much better with a built in music player like that in media box,,simple and easy so it dont start in kmplayer

Fantastic work, it appears a great way to play internet radio stations, I try it out a bit more when I am away from home tomorrow.

Cool app! Thanks!
One question. Would it be possible to have a progress indicator or busy/working icon or some visual aid when fetching results. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's working in the background or didn't register a tap.

Are you hook 'em or gig 'em?

Wow, I've never had a query take more than a second and most seem pretty instant. RadioTime did a great job on keeping the data transfer amount really low. Is there a specific query that takes a while?

Gig 'em.

Originally Posted by Simply_Texan View Post
One question. Would it be possible to have a progress indicator or busy/working icon or some visual aid when fetching results. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's working in the background or didn't register a tap.

Are you hook 'em or gig 'em?
Frank

I can see the appeal in this but didn't want to reinvent what seemed to be a very popular application. KMplayer is the #2 most downloaded multimedia app. I wasn't sure I could improve on that.

Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
but it would be really much better with a built in music player like that in media box,,simple and easy so it dont start in kmplayer
Frank