Active Topics

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Mohammed Muid,

What part of "Why don't you just delete /home/user/.opera completely and then reinstall opera-mobile?" don't you understand?

Open a terminal and type "rm -rf /home/user/.opera". If that fails, first gain root ("sudo gainroot" or "root") and then repeat the above command.

what r you? if this was so easy i woudnt have opened this thread. plzz read my previous posts. this is not that simple. cant delete the file. this is your precious output:

BusyBox v1.19.3 (Debian 1.19.3power5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ rm -rf /home/user/.opera
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/application_cache/mcache/vlink4.dat': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't remove '/home/user/.opera/application_cache/mcache': Directory not empty
rm: can't remove '/home/user/.opera/application_cache': Directory not empty
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/revocation/vlink4.dat': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't remove '/home/user/.opera/cache/revocation': Directory not empty
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/vlink4.dat': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FS6.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSM.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSN.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FS9.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSB.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSI.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSC.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSD.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSH.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSF.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FS4.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSL.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't stat '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065/opr03FSJ.tmp': Stale NFS file handle
rm: can't remove '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo/g_0065': Directory not empty
rm: can't remove '/home/user/.opera/cache/turbo': Directory not empty
rm: can't remove '/home/user/.opera/cache': Directory not empty
rm: can't remove '/home/user/.opera': Directory not empty
~ $
same even after root and sudo gainroot. the directories home/user/ whatever given above hav broken symlink which cant be deleted.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
As I recall, the last time I had this problem (on a desktop machine), I wasn't able to "rm" the files, but I could still "mv" them (or their parent directory) elsewhere -- i.e., "mv .opera stalefiles" or something like that. This at least gets the dead links out of the way.

I think the only way to delete them is as others have pointed out, mount the partition in a different way (such as using the "mass storage mode" when connecting via usb), and deleting them from there...

I tried to connect with ssh and delete the folder but couldnt delete. Plzz guide me.i hav tried a lot. M tired

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Mohammed Muid View Post
I tried to connect with ssh and delete the folder but couldnt delete. Plzz guide me.i hav tried a lot. M tired
Well, it isn't so much logging in from outside, but rather re-mounting the partition in a manner (or under an OS) that doesn't go crazy trying to save the dead links. As I understand it, when you connect a N900 to a desktop machine via usb, the "mass storage mode" automagically unmounts the "mydocs" partition and makes it available to the external OS as a removable FAT drive (with read/write permissions). I can't imagine that the external machine would care about preserving the links, so you need only open the FAT drive on the desktop computer using whatever mechanism you prefer, locate the .opera directory, and remove it...

try in /var/lib/dpkg/info...for all about opera file... if there...rm using xterm..

Originally Posted by Mohammed Muid View Post
what r you? if this was so easy i woudnt have opened this thread. plzz read my previous posts. this is not that simple. cant delete the file. this is your precious output:
You didn't say you had tried rm'ing the directory!

I guess your best bet is either to reflash again or to install pali's recovery console and fsck the partition from there.

Once thing that puzzles me. You say you reflashed and then you couldn't (fully) install opera-mobile because those stale file handles were in the /home/user/.opera folder. How can that be? Did you really fully reflash the N900?

Anyway, good luck.

Yes i reflashed my op5fs and rootfs.(not my emmc) then i tried to install many apps that i need. While installing opera i faced the problem.even before reflashing i had opera installed but never in this 1.t yrs i faced this problem. And pali's recovery console? How to do that? Where is it. If only i could fsck /dev/home/mmcblk0p2. I cant mount. It says device and resource bzy.

But /home/user/.opera is not in MyDocs, i.e. the whole /home (except MyDocs) is the same partition as /opt, so if you reflashed that then you shouldn't have any leftovers under /home/user (again, except MyDocs).

Maybe it's worth double-checking that flashing wiki and trying again? (just a suggestion, not trying to sound arrogant..)

For Recovery Console: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72726
(package link:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...ry-boot/0.1-1/)

At this moment I don't think you need any warnings about extras-devel, so I will not warn you that bad things can happen(tm)

Basically it's an additional entry for bootmenu that allows you to drop into a shell right after the kernel is loaded (i.e. before /sbin/preinit has finished).

At that moment only rootfs is mounted, so you can fsck around.

Just keep in mind: it requires bootmenu and a kernel with framebuffer support (="pure" text mode). I use kernel-power-47. You can of course use kp49.

Alternatively, you might want to install backupmenu (a bit "friendlier" because it has an option to fsck all partitions automatically).

i have backupmenu installed. do i need install the recovery console too?