Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
It's fairly easy to get the screen out (...)
Are You happy with the quality of the new one, is it geniuine product?

Well after very fast (NOT) and very helpfull (NOT) advice from ''mariusmssj'' - as expected acording to rule ''help me but I won't help You'', I decided to brought one. I will post any usefull information about the seller, screen it self and changing process so it might help someone.

It's done, brand new screen is on. First few shots.

Now, few things I have to say about screen, seller and changing the damn thing. So The quality of the screen is great, the item as genuine with the frame of course (as You can see on photos) - after changing it I could not imagine switching frame from old to new one, it's so thin and very well attached. There is no difference betwen view quality comparing to the one it was from new (factory).
Seller nick is '' home_base_repairs '' he's based in UK. Thats his items list link:

Code:
http://myworld.ebay.ie/home_base_repairs
One hour anfter payment the item was dispatched, and I got it next morning by DHL. Can honestly recommend this one.
Changing was in my opinion in scale 1 - 10, let's say 4. So easly if You have good T5 (the best with magnetic end), You can do this. Tricky part, well kind of, is switching the proximity sensor (which is glued) from old to new. So for little les than 60EUR, it was worth it.

Last edited by Garrett_PL; 2013-03-29 at 01:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
I bought one from the same place and the delivery was quick.
I used this tutorial video as a guide when I replaced my screen:
http://youtu.be/9dxsTGpGRhs

Pretty easy and quick to do with the right tools. The end result is great.

I also bought a screen from the same place. Delivery was fast and the screen looked good.
I followed the video tutorial (http://youtu.be/9dxsTGpGRhs) but after reassembly my phone wouldn't start anymore... I don't know what went wrong, but according to the repair shop I brought it to it cannot be repaired anymore. So be warned, screen replacement can ruin your phone...

Guess I'm in the market for a new phone now. Anyone have recommendations where to buy a new N9?

Cannot be repaired anymore? Did you short circuit something by mistake in the process? Sorry to hear about the dead phone either way.

Yeah, I think I must have accidentally shorted it. All it does anymore is that the light comes on for a few seconds when I insert the charger. Noting else... So I'm back on the old N900 for now, contemplating whether to buy a replacement N9 or to wait for the Jolla Phone.

Originally Posted by latency View Post
Cannot be repaired anymore? Did you short circuit something by mistake in the process? Sorry to hear about the dead phone either way.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Northland View Post
Yeah, I think I must have accidentally shorted it. All it does anymore is that the light comes on for a few seconds when I insert the charger. Noting else... So I'm back on the old N900 for now, contemplating whether to buy a replacement N9 or to wait for the Jolla Phone.
Well, usually at the repair shops they do not really try that hard as they don't have capability for chip-level replacements.

If the device is throwaway stuff for you at the moment, I would be happy to take it off your hands it for the shipping price as a test-bed for some HW modifications I am thinking of...

Well, as it turns out the repair shop didn't try at all!

I figured since I couldn't make it any worse I'd dis- & reassemble the phone (following this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9u7r4j0atU). Put it back together and turned it on: works like a charm!

Guess the trick was disconnecting the battery for a while, which obviously the shop didn't even try. Good thing they didn't charge me.

Well, good luck to everyone replacing their screens. If I can do it, everybody can!

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, usually at the repair shops they do not really try that hard as they don't have capability for chip-level replacements.

If the device is throwaway stuff for you at the moment, I would be happy to take it off your hands it for the shipping price as a test-bed for some HW modifications I am thinking of...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northland For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland

Guess the trick was disconnecting the battery for a while, which obviously the shop didn't even try. Good thing they didn't charge me.
Now this does not surprise me at all, since your usual "repair shops" can basically do things like flash a new SW update to a device or replace the battery on phones where a screwdriver is not required to open the case.

Good thing you managed to fix the phone

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Originally Posted by Garrett_PL View Post
Are You happy with the quality of the new one, is it geniuine product?

Well after very fast (NOT) and very helpfull (NOT) advice from ''mariusmssj'' - as expected acording to rule ''help me but I won't help You'', I decided to brought one. I will post any usefull information about the seller, screen it self and changing process so it might help someone.

It's done, brand new screen is on. First few shots.

Now, few things I have to say about screen, seller and changing the damn thing. So The quality of the screen is great, the item as genuine with the frame of course (as You can see on photos) - after changing it I could not imagine switching frame from old to new one, it's so thin and very well attached. There is no difference betwen view quality comparing to the one it was from new (factory).
Seller nick is '' home_base_repairs '' he's based in UK. Thats his items list link:

Code:
http://myworld.ebay.ie/home_base_repairs
One hour anfter payment the item was dispatched, and I got it next morning by DHL. Can honestly recommend this one.
Changing was in my opinion in scale 1 - 10, let's say 4. So easly if You have good T5 (the best with magnetic end), You can do this. Tricky part, well kind of, is switching the proximity sensor (which is glued) from old to new. So for little les than 60EUR, it was worth it.

Many thanks for the advice on a seller! just ordered one of these!

My situation is a little different though! I have just swapped out my housing for a white one and finding my screen doesn't fit as snug as in the black housing I had.

My theory is that my original screen is an early revision and that when compared to other L800s the screen is far less curved.

I'm hoping this one will curve in more and get rid of my sharp sides

anyway thanks again for the recommendation! very cheap too!

The Following User Says Thank You to Grazy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK

I figured since I couldn't make it any worse I'd dis- & reassemble the phone (following this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9u7r4j0atU). Put it back together and turned it on: works like a charm!

Well, good luck to everyone replacing their screens. If I can do it, everybody can!
In the video the guy says that if you accidentally turn it on with the screen removed you have to take the power off for a while! I bet that's what they did!