Poll: Does your place of employment provide private WiFi access to the company LAN?
Poll Options
Does your place of employment provide private WiFi access to the company LAN?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
If the neighbourhood kids are just curious, WEP/WPA security will deter them far more effectively than hiding your SSID.

If the neighbourhood kids have the tools to discover your hidden SSID they will most likely have the tools to start breaking your network key.

The basic point is that broadcasting the SSID doesn't make a network any more vulnerable than if it is hidden, but if it makes you feel more secure (it's classic security by obscurity) then great. Hiding the SSID doesn't really achieve anything other than cause aggravation for the network owner because some devices don't play nice with hidden networks.

PS. MAC filters are also just a minor detterent for even the moderately determined - MAC addresses are easy to spoof. Valid MAC addresses for a network using MAC filters can be determined in about the same amount of time as it takes to detect a hidden network - under 5 seconds. The only true deterrent is WPA.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
In my neighbourhood I know of 2 networks which broadcast their SSID and don't even have 64-bit WEP. One of them is a Netgear with the default admin password; I know, I had a look round That's from a short walk around, there are probably a lot more.

Considering the number of closed points I found, just using the standard scanning from the n800, it's only about 2-3% that are open, but it's still surprising to find any. Or maybe it's surprising I didn't find more, which is just a sorry state of affairs.

I've been wardriving my area for the last 5 years. It's kinda nice seeing the home networks changing over to some type of encryption. It used to be that most were open to the world, and a few were closed. Now it's the other way around.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I believe that it's less because people care and more because the routers are coming with security enabled by default these days.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The basic point is that broadcasting the SSID doesn't make a network any more vulnerable than if it is hidden, but if it makes you feel more secure (it's classic security by obscurity) then great. Hiding the SSID doesn't really achieve anything other than cause aggravation for the network owner because some devices don't play nice with hidden networks.
I humbly disagree. I know I am not broadcasting my network, even my department information colleague came over to my house has to ask me in order to log in my network. They make their living in computer business and hidden network is a deterrent to them. I think not broadcasting is adding a layer of 'deterrent'. Another issue, you may thinking about hacking with the level of knowhow at your level, but, Mil, there is not too many of you walking around. I think security is like security, the more levels of deterrent, the more the merrier. Just like a thief is thinking to break into a house, one is wide open, another one you have to look it up at a map........I think I got my point accross.

I have to speak out, because in this forum, you are an icon and people trust you and in fact practice according to what Mil said. For the uninitiated, hidden network is adding a layer of deterrent, but, I would absolutely use more than only hidden network.

Just my 2 cents

bun

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I humbly disagree. I know I am not broadcasting my network, even my department information colleague came over to my house has to ask me in order to log in my network. They make their living in computer business and hidden network is a deterrent to them. I think not broadcasting is adding a layer of 'deterrent'. Another issue, you may thinking about hacking with the level of knowhow at your level, but, Mil, there is not too many of you walking around. I think security is like security, the more levels of deterrent, the more the merrier. Just like a thief is thinking to break into a house, one is wide open, another one you have to look it up at a map........I think I got my point accross.

I have to speak out, because in this forum, you are an icon and people trust you and in fact practice according to what Mil said. For the uninitiated, hidden network is adding a layer of deterrent, but, I would absolutely use more than only hidden network.

Just my 2 cents

bun
Bun - any WiFi sniffing tool will reveal a hidden network. But don't take my word for it (which would be very foolish!), check some of these links which all say the same...

Your SSID Isn’t Hidden Forever
The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN
Hide your SSID?
SSID Hiding Is Futile (So Is MAC Address Filtering)

Hiding the SSID will only deter the most casual of snoopers, the kind of snooper that won't have a clue how to defeat WEP or WPA, so really as long as you employ some form of encryption you gain nothing by hiding your network.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I believe that it's less because people care and more because the routers are coming with security enabled by default these days.
I've setup eight or nine home networks this year and none of the routers were encrypted out of the box. Though I only use linksys stuff. I can also look back at individual networks and see they've been changed. What's really funny is seeing access points I've found showing up down in the lower 48 in places I've never been. There's even a couple showing up in Europe. Gotta love military pcs's.

bun, hiding your ssid will also make it harder for your equipment to hop to another of your access points if you have to have more than one in your home. MAC authentication only adds about 30 seconds of security. Most of the kids I deal with, I work for a K-12 school district, know how to find hidden ssids. If you want around security, just ask a couple middle schoolers, they'll find a way, trust me.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Last edited by barry99705; 2007-10-18 at 14:52.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
I've setup eight or nine home networks this year and none of the routers were encrypted out of the box. Though I only use linksys stuff. I can also look back at individual networks and see they've been changed. What's really funny is seeing access points I've found showing up down in the lower 48 in places I've never been. There's even a couple showing up in Europe. Gotta love military pcs's.

bun, hiding your ssid will also make it harder for your equipment to hop to another of your access points if you have to have more than one in your home. MAC authentication only adds about 30 seconds of security. Most of the kids I deal with, I work for a K-12 school district, know how to find hidden ssids. If you want around security, just ask a couple middle schoolers, they'll find a way, trust me.
I think I am convinced, especially with Mil's links. and Barry's grade 12ers. I believer that, as my kids were in hi school several yrs back, there is NO softwares that they could not crack or could not obtain.........I will try to unhide my network, see whether I gain any speed or connectivity.

Thanks for the info,

bun