Poll: Are you interested in a Powerpak for N900?
Poll Options
Are you interested in a Powerpak for N900?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
In reply to this tweet:

Any plans for a Nokia N900 powerpak battery?
Powermat replied:

We have plans for the N97, E72, 6760, x6, 5800 Express, and N8 but I don't see anything scheduled for the N900
So - would you buy a Powerpak (a replaceable battery that can be indctively charged using a Powermat) for N900 if it was available, are you in two minds or would you give it a miss?

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Aren't the N900 using the same battery as one of the other phones they have plans for? I'm not entirely sure.

If they're not too expensive, yeah.

EDIT: Apparently they manufacture a special battery door / case, and not just a special battery.

Last edited by ToJa92; 2010-07-28 at 15:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
If they could it last longer (more mAh) then definitely, otherwise I probably wouldn't see the point imo

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Definatley, its made for people like me, I am as lazy as they come!

Really like the Palm Pres Touchstone and that has awful battery life as well.

Originally Posted by kevinm2k View Post
If they could it last longer (more mAh) then definitely, otherwise I probably wouldn't see the point imo
I think even if they were slightly lower capacity the increased ease of charging (just put it down) would mean you didn't notice the difference.

I'd have a single device Powermat at work and a single or two device mat at home in which case the device would be on charge most of the day instead of being on charge only when I notice it getting a bit low and I have to fuss with the (potentially dodgy) USB connector.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
where did you manage to find some specs?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Aren't the N900 using the same battery as one of the other phones they have plans for? I'm not entirely sure.

If they're not too expensive, yeah.

EDIT: Apparently they manufacture a special battery door / case, and not just a special battery.
Your right, n900 uses the same battery as the 5800 Xpress music....But then again, as you imply, the n900 would probably need a new back casing to support the battery...

Hopefully powermat would see the advantage and sell a new battery casing for the n900.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Your right, n900 uses the same battery as the 5800 Xpress music....But then again, as you imply, the n900 would probably need a new back casing to support the battery...

Hopefully powermat would see the advantage and sell a new battery casing for the n900.
Interesting, think we would need to tell them though

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post

Yeah, the N900 BL-5J is used by the 5800 Express and X6, both of which will be supported by a Powerpak battery.

However since the back cover needs to include some sort of inductive coil and an electrical connection from the back cover to the battery there's a possibility that the "back cover" will be fully integrated with the battery (ie. one component) and thus bespoke for each device. That would mean producing a combined battery/back cover (ie. Powerpak) only for high volume devices, which the N900 probably isn't.

Then again, assuming the back cover and battery are indeed separate components why not just sell the inductive version of the BL-5J separately from the back cover, and charge a decent price for the N900 back cover that covers any cost of a relatively short run - they'll still make a nice profit selling lots of power mats!

Then again, having looked at the pictures in this post which documents with photographs how to replace the N8 battery I'm really not sure how Powermat intend to support the N8 unless the Powerpak battery is the entire inductive charging system with no replacement back cover required (in which case an X6/5800 Powerpak should work with the N900, unless there are other technical issues outstanding).

It certainly doesn't look like you can easily replace the back cover on the N8 (note that in the article they switch between a blue and black N8 in the photographs).