Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
I can't believe how much of a disaster this device has turned out to be. I just flashed my N810 with "RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin", and when I go to refresh my package list, it sits with the updating progress dialog and does nothing.

I've had this N810 for almost a year now, and it has basically sat doing nothing the entire time.
The device is utterly useless. All UI operations are slow, unresponsive and laggy. I connect a Bluetooth keyboard to it and input is equally as slow. I enable a 128MB swap (why I should even have to do this blows my mind to bits).
I got my N810 five days ago. I'm saying this to put my post into perspective; with five days using it I can't be called a 'guru' in this.

The UI is somewhat slow, yes, but faster than a hx4700 that I'm currently borrowing (with its 600+ MHz processor).

I try to use the GPS and it can't get a lock to save it's life. I take one step and the damn thing loses sync and it's another 10 minutes for a lock. AGPS or not (which I can't bloody install after flashing today because for some reason any interaction with the repos dies half way through - if that even).
Maybe it's just luck, but today I got the GPS locked in 10 secs with 10 satellites. And I live in a place that doesn't like satellites (of any kind).

I don't know how so many people can be even moderately satisfied with devices that are less responsive than tiger toys. Is it just really low standards or is there some procedure I haven't followed to enable "the secret actually be responsive" mode?
Both?

How do I make this thing work properly? GPS? Responsiveness? I have a bluetooth keyboard, a 4GB SD tossed in there. Help me out.

I'm not kidding. If I could turn this into a slow mobile text mode demo web server I'd be happy! It's not like I'm asking for much! Heaven forbid I expect it to do half the things it says on the box with any degree of practical efficiency.
Well, today I managed to watch TV streamed from my PC in a really nice quality. And when I say 'nice' I mean I'm watching tennis and I can clearly see the ball.

Sorry, I just can't believe I spent ~$400 on something that basically comes to my doorstep bricked. I was at least expecting to have a decent experience with even just ONE of the features advertised. But the N810 can't deliver on anything it promises on the box.

If there was a way to get my money back, I would. But I can't, so I'm forced to try and find whatever convoluted path other seemingly satisfied owners have followed to actually enjoy this ripoff.
Well, as you see, I don't think I'd call this a ripoff. Yeah, this gadget is probably not noob-friendly, but I have little to none experience with Linux systems (last thing I used was actually Unix and that was more than 8 years ago) and in 5 days I've managed to get this thing working even better and with more features than advertised. Of course, I've spent a lot of time here in ITT and in maemo.org looking for HOWTOs, tutorials, bugfixes, etc., to get my Windows Remote Desktop, a couple of emulators, a good mediaplayer and a lot more things working, but I usually like to play with my toys, and this toy is played this way.

Soooooo, maybe the hardware is not that bad and maybe the software isn't that bad either. Maybe you bought a device you don't know how to use.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Djiraan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Poor Omega. (s)he bought the N810 when it was $400 and then waited until it was $220 at WalMart to realize that it wasn't what (s)he wanted. Too late now to return it.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Interesting method of departure:
Sweet!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I think one of the things that NITs are really lacking for the general public is an iTunes-like file/media management application that converts anything that's imported into the system for the best overall tablet performance (e.g., audio, video, etc, should be able to be imported at any resolution and converted for best performance on the tablet without the user having to download any additional third-party software or installing any additional tablet applications -- heck, it should even have a "convert ogg to mp3" option).

Most of the complaints about NITs aren't really about the NITs themselves, but about how to get "source" expectations to convert to "tablet" expectations.

Tim

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Tim, that's an interesting concept. Nokia could make some sort of artificial gateway / converter for loading media onto the tablet, and word things in the instruction manual in such a way that new / inexperienced users think that they need to use this converter to get their media to transfer. The desktop interface would have a library and media player, just like iTunes, and a plug-and-play tablet converter and downloader. Since the tablets have wifi, the app should be able to search the local network and let you connect to your tablet wirelessly, too.

From what I've seen, however, the new devices won't need a converter, they'll run most video (maybe even HD) at full speed. That's pretty exciting.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Lol @ "the dickbot" And for omega's comment..."dont sell it if it doesnt do what its advertised to do" Im guessing you are probably single cause ive sure as hell never met a woman that done what she advertised a year later. LOL

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I think one of the things that NITs are really lacking for the general public is an iTunes-like file/media management application that converts anything that's imported into the system for the best overall tablet performance (e.g., audio, video, etc, should be able to be imported at any resolution and converted for best performance on the tablet without the user having to download any additional third-party software or installing any additional tablet applications -- heck, it should even have a "convert ogg to mp3" option).
Right! Internet Tablet Video Converter, recently killed just like Nokia Internet Call Invitation, the Video Center Catalogue etc., was a good step in the right direction:
There should be one application to "copy your files to the tablet" that also optimizes them for the devices (video, but also audio files, even images... large 8MP-pictures right from your camera maybe look just as good on the tablet if resized to 800x480).

And it should be an application for (*sigh*) Windows, because this is what most people have.

As long as I can still experiment with mencoder-settings to get even better results for videos or copy the original, unchanged photo over via the normal file manager, why not?
The trick will be to present this as the "Copy to Tablet"-application, rather than the "re-encode video"-application.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The trick will be to present this as the "Sync to Tablet"-application, rather than the "re-encode video"-application.
There, IFTFY.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
syncing is too complicated a concept for most people to understand. - complaints about the itunes software are mostly about something that has to do with syncing gone wrong.

copy is better.

i bought my n810 for the gps-it constantly logons under a minute---the rest of the stuff is nowhere near as good as a hp ipaq 212 running windows 6-

Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive