hi, anyone know the main difference in functionality between both browsers? as far as i know they both can javascript. n800 can flash 9 but currently the safari cant. safari can do ajax fine, but opera cant(if so, its really slow).

anything else?

I am typing this from my iPhone, and truthfully I find it to be a lot more pleasurable to browse on. Sorry N800.

Edit: just wanted to add this...

Its way easier to type on the iPhone especially with the widescreen keyboard in safari.

The scrolling and zooming is infintely smoother, and it handles most of the complex websites I throw at it with ease. I wish that the n800 handled sites as well, but it just isn't so.

I typically turn off flash support, since its usually advertisemts I don't care about.

Last edited by sherifnix; 2007-07-12 at 02:30.

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
I am typing this from my iPhone, and truthfully I find it to be a lot more pleasurable to browse on. Sorry N800.
Yes, on the Ajax support iPhone's Safari is way ahead of Opera for the N800... we have Flash 9 now, but soon the iPhone will have Flash also -- supposedly Apple wants to optimize it so that pages with multiple flash objects will not overwhelm the browser.

Well, the big difference is that Apple in typical fashion is throwing a full compliment of resources at the problem of making Safari on the iPhone run well... somehow, Nokia is not doing the same thing with the N800. On the other hand we now have Skype on the N800...

-- Denis

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada

Its way easier to type on the iPhone especially with the widescreen keyboard in safari.

The scrolling and zooming is infintely smoother, and it handles most of the complex websites I throw at it with ease. I wish that the n800 handled sites as well, but it just isn't so.

I typically turn off flash support, since its usually advertisemts I don't care about.

Too bad the iPhone keyboard doesnt change from landscape to portrait keyboard with the orientation sensor. Real flaw there :P

The scrolling and zooming is infintely smoother,
It may be smoother, but the low resolution of the iPhone probably needs more horizontal scrolling or do they have a solution for that?

Actually I do rarely need any zooming on my N800, since I fixed the minimum font size. Zooming is time consuming and clumsy.

hi, any other features safari has that opera doesnt?

how about in terms of rendering a web page on a n800 3g, vs safari edge? from trying the safari iphone in the store, it seems that iphone can render a page close to the speed of an n800 on 3g?

Originally Posted by bakerbaker View Post
hi, any other features safari has that opera doesnt?

how about in terms of rendering a web page on a n800 3g, vs safari edge? from trying the safari iphone in the store, it seems that iphone can render a page close to the speed of an n800 on 3g?
You can only compare the Wifi speeds of both devices. Edge is dead slow, thus a N800 + 3g phone is much better solution.

not really. n800 on 3g phone still takes time to render a full page due to processor. since the iphone is much faster, rendering a page on edge may be behind the n800 on 3g by not so much. there should be a youtube video comparing speeds.

Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You can only compare the Wifi speeds of both devices. Edge is dead slow, thus a N800 + 3g phone is much better solution.

n800 on 3g phone still takes time to render a full page due to processor.
Rendering time on the N800 is quite fast. Even if the iPhone renders faster (does it? somebody checked with wifi?), the slow download times with Edge do matter a lot. Try it with websites with a lot of pics.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
There's also the fact that because the N800 is limited to DUN, which simulates a serial port (rather than PAN), the Bluetooth connection could be slower than the 3G connection.